Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: School Budget Failed

I will vote tomorrow

Tomorrow I will vote no for the second time on the Lackawanna School budget.
    I hope it will be voted down again.
    Russia didn't make me vote for Trump, Hillary did.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lackawanna View Post
    Tomorrow I will vote no for the second time on the Lackawanna School budget.
    I hope it will be voted down again.
    What would make you decide to vote 'yes'?
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

For a yes vote

Quote Originally Posted by run4it View Post
    What would make you decide to vote 'yes'?
    A budget with no tax increases would get a yes vote from me.

Set up for failure

I was reading about the girl who went to Lackawanna High and now regrets it, well join the club there are thousands of you. The problem is that our parents were busy working while the teachers were busy finding ways not to work like you said Senior and using glue to post your pictures. Whats sad is that I can only remember a couple of my high school teachers and they were Mr. Tadko who educated his students to the best of his ability and made it fun to learn. Also Mr. Zajak who challenged us to memorize paragraphs and phrases, and pushed us beyond a point alot of us had not idea our brain could go. Then you had Mr. Shanek who didnt care what his students were doing but taught us one word Insubordination which many of the city leaders are doing right now.
    The point im trying to make is that in all those years of school I can only remember a few teachers. The good ones and the very terrible ones. I would like to see my kids come home one day and suprise me with their knowledge of what they learned in school and the only time they suprise me is when they are playing video games or downloading music from the internet which I still cannot do.

Quote Originally Posted by cath829 View Post
    Ya know what's really weird? David Joyce: 1885 votes.....Budget NO: 1885 votes! Hmmmmmm..........
    Must have been coincidence, I voted for my dear friend Dave & yes on the budget.

Thx you Lackawanna citizen.....Voting no doesnt assure you that your taxes wont go up......You are miss guided....If the budget goes to conting. your taxes are going up more than what was proposed.....So i take it you were mis informed.

O V E R - they lost again!

I know that most on this thread are happy that this budget failed. I don't share your sentiment.

I understand the reason you voted no. You voted no to spite the board of ed. You are upset because of the corrupt way that they run the board. Student performance doesn't match up with the pay and benefits etc...of teachers and administrators. I get that.

HOWEVER, nothing ever changes! The school district was bad when I went 10 years ago and it's still bad. City Hall is corrupt now and has been for the last 30 years. Change never comes!

In the meantime the Elementary schools are fine at Lackawanna. I was very impressed the Pre-K program and you could not find a more dedicated principal than Mrs. Fernandez.

You have voted down this budget and the children will suffer more now than they will have if the budget had passed. My son will most likely not have full day kindergarten and the Pre-K program is in jeopardy. This is not the way to start kids off in their education!

So you stuck it to the board this year and said you were pissed. Most of you probably don't even have kids at school or you have the money to send your kids to private school.

I don't have that luxury. I'm taking a more direct route. I'm involved with my child's education. I am present at the school I am an active member of the PTA. I will regularly attend board meetings and eventually I may even run for the school board and try to improve things at the high school level where they are so bad.

The board doesn't care that you voted down their budget and sadly I don't think they care much for the children either...so they will just continue to take away from the kids...but nothing is going to change and this is a sad day for our elementary school kids.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I understand the reason you voted no. You voted no to spite the board of ed. You are upset because of the corrupt way that they run the board. Student performance doesn't match up with the pay and benefits etc...of teachers and administrators. I get that.
    What would ever give you that idea?

It has to do about worrying about my retirement and savings for when i'm older.

I understand your thinking as well, however a no vote was the only way to send a message to a school board that doesn't seem to listen to the people and what they want in the form of education.

The budget going down does not mean children will suffer - unless the board of ed decides to "pay us back" for that vote by making the children suffer. The only effect of the contingency budget should be to stop unnecessary hiring and stopping equipment purchases. The rest of the threats to the children is just old fashioned politics by those who we elected.

During the election, we hear a lot about wanting to make a difference and change things "for the better." Now is their chance to prove it. It may be a good thing because now the lure of a job for a family member won't taint their ability to actually do the job they were elected to. Hold them accountable, and don't believe the propaganda. The kids don't need to suffer.

I dont think you people understand....you dont hurt the board you hurt the children.....So come football time and soccer and every other sport in the up coming school year there will be none. No pre k 1/2 day kindergarden and bigger class sizes because of teacher lay-offs just to name a few things. i am sure more to come dont blame the board. Blame the people who voted NO. but when that time comes i am sure they wont big enough to say they r the ones who did it to our children. Good luck to all w children you have a huge hill to climb.

So the job posting for the athletic coach in May 2011 for the 2011-2012 season was only because the board felt they would have enough votes to pass the budget the first time around?

School district’s budget plan defeated for second timeBy Harold McNeil

NEWS STAFF REPORTER

Published:
    June 22, 2011, 12:00 AM

0 Comments
    Font Size:
    -2-1Standard+1+2E-mailSharePrintFacebookTwitterGoogleRedditDelicious Stumble UponDiggFarkMySpace
    Updated: June 22, 2011, 7:10 AM

For the second straight time, voters in the Lackawanna City School District on Tuesday voted down a proposed $45.1 million school budget for 2011-12.

The unofficial tally was 1,186 to 1,020.

Annette Iafallo, the school district clerk, said Tuesday that affidavit ballots remain to be counted this morning. Meanwhile, the School Board will meet at 7 tonight in Martin Road Elementary School, 135 Martin Road, to certify the results of Tuesday’s re-vote before holding its regular business meeting.

After the budget proposal was first defeated at the polls last month, the board on May 24 unanimously agreed to give the same budget adopted in April a second chance on the ballot.

After the May 17 defeat, Lackawanna residents were lobbied both by those for and against the budget proposal. One postcard mailed to residents advised them to “vote yes to save student programs.”

A no vote, the card warned, would result in major cuts to interscholastic athletics, the district’s prekindergarten program, school security and full-day kindergarten.

Meanwhile, another flier put out by Lackawanna Parents for Quality Schools advised residents to vote no on the proposed school budget, charging that those coaxing residents to pass the budget were engaging in lies and scare tactics.

“School will not close and students will be taught,” the flier read.

“The politicians will not be able to give their friends and family members the jobs they were promised,” it further asserted.

The spending plan—which is 2.57 percent higher than the current budget, but would increase homestead property taxes by 4.88 percent—was one of five in Western New York to fail with voters back on May 17. The margin of defeat was just 47 votes.

After the May 17 vote, School Board President John Makeyenko insisted that the board presented its best possible budget plan. It called for cutting nine full-time teachers and two part-time teaching positions from the budget, as well as a 25 percent cut to sports programs, extracurricular activities and materials and supplies, and the elimination of several vacant positions.

Along with other cuts, $1.77 million would have been trimmed from the budget. In addition, school officials have already made $945,000 in staff reductions that were implemented during the current school year.

Having failed to pass muster with voters for a second time, the district will now have to turn to a contingency budget. Superintendent Nicholas

D. Korach has said that will result in significant layoffs. The contingency budget would amount to $44.1 million — a tiny increase from the current budget of $44 million.

The defeated spending plan called for a homestead tax rate of $10.35 per $1,000 of assessed valuation—an increase of 45 cents per $1,000 that would have resulted in an annual increase of about $18 for a home assessed at $70,000.

hmcneil@buffnews.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oh stop this nonsense already that voting down the budget HURTS the kids. Really? Budgets are voted down across every state and life goes on.

When it is the end of the month and you have more bills than money to make ends meet do you INTENTIONALLY hurt yourself and your family?????

The answer if "YES" would be only because you managed your money poorly or did not ADJUST YOUR BUDGET to meet your needs. There are, of course, situations out of a person's control but that is NOT THE CASE here.Year after year people are hired for an "OVERSTAFFED" budget. EVERY BOARD MEMBER for the last ten years who said yes to hiring ANYONE should be held accountable. THAT WAS GREED FOR FAMILY AND FRIENDS and NOT GOOD BUDGET MANAGEMENT. So now we are in the "oh woe is me mode" and it is the PEOPLE'S fault???? This is exactly why the city looks STUPID to other districts. This is STINKING thinking. Threatening taxpayers that if they do not pay up, the children will suffer. ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!!!!

The children have been suffering for years with being at the BOTTOM of all districts report card achievements. EVERY YEAR the people and children are embarrassed by the public results. So... did you care about that???

All the taxpayers have been forced to do now is STOP THE BLEEDING. I say thank you to all those people who voted no. They are the ones who care and have courage to stand up for the CHILDREN!

I hope that budget goes down for many more years until the state is forced to come and re-district the kids elsewhere! No one wants to see anyone not have a job but you can thank your friend(s) on the Board who gave you the job when there would NEVER be enough money to guarantee you a retirement.
    That is pure unadelterated GREED at taxpayer expense. Just how many teachers and employees actually live in and support this community??? Hmmm...thanks for that from the SUPERINTENDENT across all departments.

Sorry, wipe your tears and move on...

Charter schools were started to offer families a "CHOICE" when their district is a failing school district (like Lackawanna). There are several Charter schools available besides Global...one right on South Park near Wayside.
    I say...start looking at your options. Take control of your own destiny!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Can the 3rd time be a charm?

The School Board just can't accept the voters mandate. Will the Lackawanna School Board in their infinite wisdom ask the voters to vote again for the 3rd time?
    Last edited by Mr. Lackawanna; June 22nd, 2011 at 09:47 AM. Reason: text change

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information