+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 63

Thread: Polling Sites

  1. #1
    Member cath829's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    881

    Polling Sites

    FYI - for anyone that wasn't aware of the actions of the school board pertaining to a single polling place for the entire City of Lackawanna, here is the decision made by the Commissioner of Education. Mr. Omar Saleh petitioned the Commissioner of Education requesting he overturn the Board's decision to create a single polling site, as he felt it went against NYS Education Law and created an impediment to the residents of Lackawanna to exercise their right to vote.
    You may hear members saying that they "corrected" this issue by Resolution whereas they established 4 election districts with 1 polling site located at Martin Road School as opposed to the Resolution dated November 18, 2010 wherein they established 1 election district with 1 polling site.

    The attachment shows that Mr. Saleh obtained a "stay" from the Commissioner of Education which will allow the continuation for the use of 11 polling sites as has been the case in the past. This stay is for this year until an ultimate determination is obtained.




    Omar decision.jpg

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    745
    Quote Originally Posted by cath829 View Post
    FYI - for anyone that wasn't aware of the actions of the school board pertaining to a single polling place for the entire City of Lackawanna, here is the decision made by the Commissioner of Education. Mr. Omar Saleh petitioned the Commissioner of Education requesting he overturn the Board's decision to create a single polling site, as he felt it went against NYS Education Law and created an impediment to the residents of Lackawanna to exercise their right to vote.
    You may hear members saying that they "corrected" this issue by Resolution whereas they established 4 election districts with 1 polling site located at Martin Road School as opposed to the Resolution dated November 18, 2010 wherein they established 1 election district with 1 polling site.

    The attachment shows that Mr. Saleh obtained a "stay" from the Commissioner of Education which will allow the continuation for the use of 11 polling sites as has been the case in the past. This stay is for this year until an ultimate determination is obtained.




    Attachment 3349
    I believe its a stay order until he makes a decision, not a decision.Correct me if im wrong.

  3. #3
    Member cath829's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    881
    Decision is made for the May 17th elections......11 polling places. Please pick up the latest issue of the Front Page and you can see for yourself on page 12.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    51
    Don't other school districts use one polling place for school elections? I am pretty sure Hamburg does.

  5. #5
    Member cath829's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    881
    City school districts with less than 10,000 inhabitants may designate the entire school district as a single election district. Hamburg is not a city!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    188
    So you're saying ONE board member cost the school district thousands more to run an election than was necessary?

  7. #7
    Member cath829's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    881
    It is the LAW......the rest of the board should have gone along with Mr. Saleh's recommendation to go with 4 polling sites (one in each ward). Had they listened to Mr. Saleh, he would not have been forced to make sure they (school district) upheld the law. Had they gone with 4 polling sites, the cost would have been minimal; approximately $200.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    745
    Quote Originally Posted by cath829 View Post
    It is the LAW......the rest of the board should have gone along with Mr. Saleh's recommendation to go with 4 polling sites (one in each ward). Had they listened to Mr. Saleh, he would not have been forced to make sure they (school district) upheld the law. Had they gone with 4 polling sites, the cost would have been minimal; approximately $200.
    Mr.Saleh has cost this district hundreds of thousands of dollars, this is just a drop in the bucket for him. He voted to sell one of the districts buildings to an group that he new was going to lease to the charter school at the old Washington school building. Which in turn has cost the Lackawanna schools alot of money. He cannot make a concious decision for the kids or the staff of LHS, why, because his kid/s go to the charter school. He chooses to send his kids to the charter school why dont he go sit on the board there.
    Each poll worker is paid $90 plus other costs, maybe that could of saved a teacher or 2 from being laid of due to budget cuts from the state.

  9. #9
    Member mnb811's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Boston formerly Lackawanna
    Posts
    2,630
    No one has cost the district more than Makeyenko. He has been there forever minus a few years here and there. Polling places will not cost anywhere near what jobs for friends, family and cronies cost. Seriously it don't even cost 10 grand. Shows how much you know. If you want to save teacher's jobs lay off teacher's aides.

  10. #10
    Member mnb811's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Boston formerly Lackawanna
    Posts
    2,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Same Old, Same Old View Post
    Don't other school districts use one polling place for school elections? I am pretty sure Hamburg does.
    You wanna be a city you pay the price for being a city. If Lackawanna was a village then you would be fine. Read the law. Any competent lawyer could see it, it's in black and white. If the board majority would have went with one polling place in each ward they would have been fine. If you want to blame someone for costing the district money blame them. They can now use the 8grand they stole from Queen of Angels parish to pay for the polling places!

  11. #11
    Member mnb811's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Boston formerly Lackawanna
    Posts
    2,630
    Quote Originally Posted by youcangohome View Post
    So you're saying ONE board member cost the school district thousands more to run an election than was necessary?
    LOL The audacity of people who really waste thousands or even millions amazes me!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    745
    Quote Originally Posted by mnb811 View Post
    No one has cost the district more than Makeyenko. He has been there forever minus a few years here and there. Polling places will not cost anywhere near what jobs for friends, family and cronies cost. Seriously it don't even cost 10 grand. Shows how much you know. If you want to save teacher's jobs lay off teacher's aides.
    I believe hes never hired a family member in all his years, slanderer.
    And most of the teachers aides are mandated by the state because of special needs kids. Show how much you know!

    $10,000 in books would be nice wouldnt it!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    745
    Mr.Saleh has cost this district hundreds of thousands of dollars, this is just a drop in the bucket for him. He voted to sell one of the districts buildings to an group that he new was going to lease to the charter school at the old Washington school building. Which in turn has cost the Lackawanna schools alot of money. He cannot make a concious decision for the kids or the staff of LHS, why, because his kid/s go to the charter school. He chooses to send his kids to the charter school why dont he go sit on the board there.
    Each poll worker is paid $90 plus other costs, maybe that could of saved a teacher or 2 from being laid of due to budget cuts from the state.
    Why do you want to be on the lackawanna School board Mr. Saleh? Please answer my question. You, not your cronies. Pleassssssssssssse let him answer for himself.

  14. #14
    Member cath829's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    881
    The sale of the property was actually made upon the recommendation of the Superintendent, motion made by Hetey, seconded by Sanders to approve the sale of Washington School for the sum of $35,000. All agreed.

    Are you suggesting that parents do not have the choice to send their child to a school that they feel can better educate them? Can't blame Mr. Saleh on a parent's choice....try as you may.

  15. #15
    Member mnb811's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Boston formerly Lackawanna
    Posts
    2,630
    In Lackawanna1's eyes:Every parent should send their kid to a low performing school like Lackawanna not a charter or private school so they can get more funding from the feds and state so they can .....you guessed it BLOW MORE MONEY!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Bee News supports censorship, sites lawsuits
    By 4248 in forum Village of Lancaster and Town of Lancaster Politics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: July 8th, 2010, 06:33 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts