Thread: "Flagged" Bridges in Lackawanna by NYS

Post "Flagged" Bridges in Lackawanna by NYS

February 7, 2011
    Lackawanna City Council Agenda

"Comm. of Public Works
    – recommends the Council post the bridge over the railroad at Rosary Avenue and Ridge Road to a reduced maximum load to allow the city to address the degree of deterioration of the bridge"

How dare they put US/and our babies in harms way when their school bus passes over this bridge EVERY-day!

There are many other bridges in LA "questionable", according to folks at the Council meeting last night too!

Who is asleep at the wheel here?

This is the last "love"/Norman affair........ What, I fear, are they leaving us with? I realize they are "lame" ducks BUT, they are all getting paid BIG money to do the job right! I bet OUR infrastructure is worse now that it ever was!
    Inquiring minds want to know....what is going on with our Bridges?

P.S. Is it any one's job in the City to watch and report street lights that are out? FYI: I e-mailed Nat. Grid about the pole #23 on Elm-----it is very easy to do, and they promptly send you back a confirmation #. Pole #1 on Ridge is out, and one on Madison by the Mailbox.
    I will not even go into how much money is wasted on a yearly basis for lights that are out that WE still pay for!
    The new Bridge approach heading west is also very dark---looks like a new street light on the north side needs to be finished.
    Please get it on "powers to be" before there is a tragedy and the City is once again sued for negligence! Thank You.
    Last edited by andreahaxton; February 8th, 2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Wording

I use that bridge as well. Thanks for the heads up to take a different route if I need to travel that way.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

""P.S. Is it any one's job in the City to watch and report street lights that are out? FYI: I e-mailed Nat. Grid about the pole #23 on Elm-----it is very easy to do, and they promptly send you back a confirmation #. Pole #1 on Ridge is out, and one on Madison by the Mailbox.
    I will not even go into how much money is wasted on a yearly basis for lights that are out that WE still pay for!
    The new Bridge approach heading west is also very dark---looks like a new street light on the north side needs to be finished.
    Please get it on "powers to be" before there is a tragedy and the City is once again sued for negligence! Thank You.""

Looks like both west and east street light poles at the foot of the "Centennial Bridge" need to be finished and lit. I also counted "6" lights out down Ridge the other day heading west.
    I know the part-time retired City Comptroller told me years ago that he, "had no time" to keep track of the money we lost due to these outages, BUT----I bet he goes over his own electric bill with a fine tooth comb!

Can someone please be appointed to REPORT the outages to National Grid, so we can recoup a little bit on our $$$$thousands of dollars annual street lighting costs?
    Thank You. It might seem minuscule to the City but it really adds up on an annual basis. We also pay National Grid almost $40,000/yr to maintain all poles, so let's keep them ALL lit!

Can someone please be appointed to REPORT the outages to National Grid, so we can recoup a little bit on our $$$$thousands of dollars annual street lighting costs?
    Thank You. It might seem minuscule to the City but it really adds up on an annual basis. We also pay National Grid almost $40,000/yr to maintain all poles, so let's keep them ALL lit![/QUOTE]

Please no appointments.. that's going to cost us money. Wonder what kind of salary a person checking on unlit street lights might get? Would that be a full or part-time job? What would their title be? Commissioner of Street Lights?
    We don't need "family and friends" in another lack luster job. We ourselves can call National Grid.. don't know how quickly they respond to the request. We have called for the pole across from our house and it seemed that they came within the week to fix it.

Post No, no, no---You read me wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyExp View Post
    Thank You. It might seem minuscule to the City but it really adds up on an annual basis. We also pay National Grid almost $40,000/yr to maintain all poles, so let's keep them ALL lit!
    Please no appointments.. that's going to cost us money. Wonder what kind of salary a person checking on unlit street lights might get? Would that be a full or part-time job? What would their title be? Commissioner of Street Lights?
    We don't need "family and friends" in another lack luster job. We ourselves can call National Grid.. don't know how quickly they respond to the request. We have called for the pole across from our house and it seemed that they came within the week to fix it.[/QUOTE]

My goodness, I agree with you---they would love to sneak in "family and friends" any way they can to create another no-show job!

I believe we should have an immediate hiring freeze! I meant from the patroling police force--or, the DPW 4-12pm shift, not to hire someone to just check poles that are out.
    It would be just like them to find a patronage flunky somewhere and give him a weekly paycheck to ride around in a City car and do nothing.
    If we can see the street lights that are out---WHY can't they when they drive by?---there are enough people that work in City Hall and live all over the City that can get on there computer and report them daily! National Grid is pretty good at responding like you said.

It is the "that's NOT my job mentality" and I will do it if you give me more money to take on the extra task.
    Sad, lots of them will not even pick up a piece of paper if they don't get paid to do it!

I am so sorry that I did not make my point clear enough.
    We have a Public Safety Director who makes $14,000/yr and is out of the building every morning by 10am----I know he is sickly, but why can't he cruise around the City 1x/wk or so with the street-light schematic and report outages.
    Again my apology, Crafty---you are right on with what you posted!

Thread Information