Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Lackawanna news

Post They are NOT passing "The Bond" because.....

March 1st, 2011, 01:00 PM #205
    andreahaxton
    Posts: 788 "TWO" Years ago! Why do we still have the mine field in front of the Library? --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Website
    COUNCIL MEETING
    COUNCIL CHAMBERS

Monday, March 2, 2009Regular session of the Lackawanna City Council met in the Council Chambers, Council President Charles Jaworski presiding. The meeting was preceded by the Pledge of Allegiance led by Council President Jaworski.
    Roll Call: Present: Haxton, Szymanski, Kulczyk, Schiavi, Jaworski

Create Line Item "Transfer to Capital Funds"
    Advises Council that in order to use a portion of the City's fund balance to pay for street resurfacing projects and not sell a bond that would generate interest and bond attorney costs, it will be necessary for the Council to amend the current budget and create a new line item, “Transfer to Capital funds.”

ROBERT MARCINIAK, COMPTROLLER
    Moved by Jaworski, seconded by Szymanski, receive and file, act upon ordinance.

Yeas: Haxton, Szymanski, Kulczyk, Schiavi, Jaworski Carried 5 – 0

""I begged for this to happen because our fund balance was way too large......Spend cash for the capital improvement instead of "floating another bond"! Save people's hard-earned money by going this route that could be used for other things like a new City Hall, Fire Houses, Community Center, etc.They went along with me but nothing happened---please explain Mr. Jaworski---where is this money? BIG MONEY.""

Follow the money...... What have they been using the Fund Balance(their slush fund) for? Where is the money from 2009 Comptroller?
    What happened--there was appr. 6 million that could have paid cash for OUR roads? CDBG money??? Where is our Senator, etc.--did you ask him fellas? I know he was not your candidate( Stachowski is gone) but he did win--so ask him to help us, please? And if someone already did--Thank You!

Two years ago I got them to agree NOT to float a bond and now they want to? If they would have done the work 1 or 2 years ago we would not be in the mess they put us into now. Hmmmmm....follow the money!

Plans underway for three new local charter schools
    March 10, 2011 - 10:10 AM / Comment
    Proposals for three new local charter schools -- one in Buffalo, one in South Buffalo or Lackawanna, and one in Niagara Falls -- recently made it through the latest round of reviews by the state Education Department.

Each proposal still faces additional steps in the charter application process, so this by no means guarantees that any of them will be granted a charter -- but it does move them closer to the possibility of opening their doors for the 2012-13 school year. Each group has until March 31 to submit a full application to the state.

Here's a bit about each of the three proposed schools, based on information each group of founders submitted in their prospectus to the state Education Department. (Click on the school name to read that school's full prospectus.)

Global Sciences Charter School, a middle/high school for students in the Niagara Falls area.

The folks behind this school are Kevin Donovan and Janice Barrett of the Economic Development Group, who opened the Health Sciences Charter High School in August in the Town of Tonawanda. Their proposal for the Global Sciences Charter School follows a similar format, geared toward preparing students for careers in the sciences.

Plans call for "year-round instruction, including a summer session; state-of-the-art laboratory instruction; industry-specific curriculum; AP and dual college credit courses; mentoring; service learning; internships; individual career guidance; and hands-on instruction from leading industry and educational professionals."

If it gets approved, the school would open with 120 ninth-graders, then add an eighth and tenth grade the following year, gradually expanding until it serves 720 students in grades seven to 12 in 2017-18.

Southwest Key Charter School, which would target students in South Buffalo and Lackawanna.

The project is driven by Juan J. Sanchez, the founder of Southwest Key Programs Inc., a non-profit group serving youth in Texas for more than two decades. For 14 years, Southwest Key has been running Juvenile Justice Alternative Education Programs, alternative schools in Texas. Two years ago, an offshoot of Southwest opened the East Austin College Prep Academy in Austin, which now serves students in sixth and seventh grade.

If Southwest Key Charter School is approved, the school would open with with 50 students each in kindergarten, first grade and sixth grade. By 2017-18, the school would serve 1,034 students in kindergarten through tenth grade. The school's founders hope to eventually expand it through twelfth grade.

The school would replicate the YES Prep Public Schools model, a five-campus program in the Houston area. Key features: two hours of homework each night for middle and high school; one Saturday a month devoted to community service; a mandatory three-week summer session; and teachers who are on call for students on weekends and as late as 9 p.m. on weeknights.

Wisteria Charter School, a Waldorf-inspired elementary school. In Waldorf tradition, the school would incorporate the arts into daily instruction in a variety of ways and emphasize an appreciation for nature.

The school would also feature: three- to four-week instructional content blocks, each two to three hours long; mandatory parental involvement of at least eight hours for each parent, each year; and looping, which would keep students with the same teacher for up to three consecutive years.

The school would open with 25 students each in kindergarten through fourth grade, and expand to have 25 students in every grade from kindergarten through eighth grade by 2017-18.

- Mary Pasciak

E-mail me at mpasciak@buffnews.com or follow me on Twitter. Check out the Buffalo News' education page at www.buffalonews.com/schools.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Looking for former school superintendent Paul Hashem????

Here he is.....INTERIM SUPERINTENDENT

Paul Hashem
    01/11, Springville-Griffi th
    Institute CSD
    Springville, NY
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retirees

Vicki Wright
    01/11, Springville-Griffi th
    Institute CSD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here is the job posting.....Springville-Griffith Institute CSD
    Student population:2,050
    Salary: Up to $165,000
    Job serach conducted byr. Vincent J. Coppola
    Search Consultant
    State University of New York at Buffalo
    222 Baldy Hall
    Buffalo, NY 14260-1000
    716-645-2932
    debrabri@buffalo.edu
    If interested: Reply By: 4/15/11

You will see similar population to Lackawanna. Mr. Korach is underpaid!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Underpaid my ass. Lackawanna is on the bottom of the rankings where is Springville? That Dr. Williams in Buffalo is a very very overpaid super also. Their salaries should reflect the schools rankings. Throwing money at the problem does nothing. Let them work for their raise example: Move the schools up 10 spots in the rankings we will give you x amount of dollars. This bs has to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by mnb811 View Post
    Underpaid my ass. Lackawanna is on the bottom of the rankings where is Springville? That Dr. Williams in Buffalo is a very very overpaid super also. Their salaries should reflect the schools rankings. Throwing money at the problem does nothing. Let them work for their raise example: Move the schools up 10 spots in the rankings we will give you x amount of dollars. This bs has to stop.
    You show your ignorance to education, trying to match up students from Springville to students from Lackawanna is apples and oranges. Why bother, you are disgruntled and just a miserable person who cant handle reality! I know you think otherwise, but most people involved with the education side of school are in it to teach and make a difference, not to stop kids from getting educated and collect a salary!

Quote Originally Posted by lackawanna #1 View Post
    You show your ignorance to education, trying to match up students from Springville to students from Lackawanna is apples and oranges. Why bother, you are disgruntled and just a miserable person who cant handle reality! I know you think otherwise, but most people involved with the education side of school are in it to teach and make a difference, not to stop kids from getting educated and collect a salary!
    Yep its all about the kids with you guys. LMAO. Everyone knows it isn't. Just look at the sub registry clerk and all the other stuff going on in the school system. Its all about jobs with you guys. The kids come last just like your rankings indicate. We are all Americans ,we are all from WNY and we all should get the SAME education. Your comment suggests kids from Lackawanna are either dumb,stupid or inept and are not worthy of matching up with anyone. More likely its people like yourself that have/created the problems! I guess everyone will see it tommorow in front of your city hall.
    Last edited by mnb811; March 12th, 2011 at 12:52 AM.

Post Then Why Did OUR Ratings/Rank/Graduation,etc. Drop over the past 15 Years?

Quote Originally Posted by lackawanna #1 View Post

I fully realize that education is a combo of home-school-environment, BUT why do/did we keep falling so far below the other districts in the WNY education network? Lackawanna loves sports---who is dropping the ball?
    I am very happy to hear Truman is on the move! Our babies are like sponges at that age, I see what our guy learns by the day--he can spell a few words now too. Staying on green--thanks Truman Teachers+Staff!

Quote Originally Posted by andreahaxton View Post
    I fully realize that education is a combo of home-school-environment, BUT why do/did we keep falling so far below the other districts in the WNY education network? Lackawanna loves sports---who is dropping the ball?
    I am very happy to hear Truman is on the move! Our babies are like sponges at that age, I see what our guy learns by the day--he can spell a few words now too. Staying on green--thanks Truman Teachers+Staff!
    Truman school is the jewel in the district. After Gr. 2 I say, get OUTof the district!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

:32 AM

The Lackawanna School Board on Monday unanimously appointed a replacement for a board member who resigned over the weekend.

David M. Joyce, a 19-year veteran of the Lackawanna Police Department, will serve the remainder of Kevin Rozwood’s three-year term, which expires in June. Rozwood resigned Saturday after he was accused of posting anti-Arab, profanity-laced comments on his Facebook page.

Joyce, who has not previously held publicly elected office, is a familiar presence to those who attend the Lackawanna City Council’s bimonthly business meetings. He is the on-duty law enforcement officer providing security when the Council convenes. He has one child who attends school in the district.

Joyce was nominated by School Board President John W. Makeyenko during a special meeting held prior to the board’s regularly scheduled work session Monday. No other names were placed in nomination to succeed Rozwood.

Rozwood, who works as a dispatcher in the Lackawanna Police Department, was first elected to the board in 2005 and served as board president in 2007. He is the second School Board member to resign during this school year. Ernesto C. Leonetti abruptly resigned last fall, although the reason why was never publicly announced. His vacated seat was filled in early November by Maureen Murphy Gambino and will become vacant again for the May 17 School Board election. Gambino has already has announced that she will seek re-election to the board.

Joyce assumed his seat on the board without comment Monday. However, if he seeks to remain on the board past June 30, Joyce also will be required to run as a candidate in the May 17 School Board election.

The other seat on the seven-member School Board that is up for election this year is held by Omar Saleh, the only Yemeni- American on the board. The deadline to submit petitions to run in the district’s 2011 School Board election is March 26.

The top two vote-getters in the race will each be elected to three-year terms. The third highest vote-getter will serve the remaining year of Leonetti’s unexpired three-year term.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What's the racial composition of your school?
    March 16, 2011 - 11:59 PM / Comment
    During a recent discussion about desegregation and neighborhood schools, the question arose: Just how effective was the court order to integrate Buffalo's schools?

Board of Ed member Pamela Cahill said she wasn't too impressed; most of the schools she's been in seem either practically all white or all black or Hispanic.

Ralph Hernandez disagreed. The schools have been successfully integrated, he said.

Well, which is it?

I don't know what the measure of "integrated" is, so I don't know how to answer that. Instead, I'll give you the data and let you decide for yourself. (If you're interested, a couple observations from me are posted below the database, so scroll down a bit once you're done poking around the data yourself.)

But why limit this to Buffalo? The data's out there, so we might as well broaden the discussion. Here's the racial breakdown for every traditional public and charter school in Western New York. (Click here to do a new search.) Click on a column header to sort by that column.

District School American Indian Asian Black Hispanic Multiracial White
    Lackawanna Global Concepts Charter 0% 1% 20% 8% 3% 68%
    Lackawanna Lackawanna High 1% 1% 21% 8% 0% 69%
    Lackawanna Lackawanna Middle 0% 1% 20% 8% 3% 68%
    Lackawanna Martin Road Elementary 1% 0% 18% 11% 0% 70%
    Lackawanna Truman Elementary 0% 0% 14% 9% 0% 76%

Records 1-5 of 5

Online Database by Caspio
    Click here to load this Caspio Online Database.

A couple of the things that struck me as interesting:

- Of the six whitest schools in Buffalo, five are in South Buffalo (Discovery, Lorraine Elementary, Southside Elementary, South Buffalo Charter and Hillery Park Academy). The other one is City Honors. At each school, at least 64 percent of the students are white.

- The four schools with the highest percentage of black students -- 96 percent or higher -- are all charter schools (Buffalo United Charter, King Center Charter, Westminster Community Charter and Community Charter).

What strikes you as interesting? Drop me a line and let me know.

And if anyone out there happens to have racial breakdowns for each of the city schools prior to the desegregation order in the mid-1970s, let me know. I think it would be fascinating to compare today's numbers with those.

- Mary Pasciak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lackawanna schools refuse to refund taxes on former churchBy Harold McNeil

NEWS STAFF REPORTER

Published:
    March 19, 2011, 12:00 AM

0 Comments
    Font Size:
    -2-1Standard+1+2E-mailSharePrintFacebookTwitterGoogleRedditDelicious Stumble UponDiggFarkMySpace
    Related stories
    Saying goodbye to St. Barbara
    Updated: March 19, 2011, 11:38 AM

A Lackawanna School Board member was stymied this week in his attempts to persuade his colleagues to refund school taxes apparently overcharged on the former St. Barbara’s Catholic Church property owned by the Catholic Diocese of Buffalo.

Omar Saleh also failed Thursday to win a reversal of a resolution the board adopted in November, consolidating the district’s 11 polling sites at one central location.

Trustees from Queen of Angels Church on Warsaw Street, which has merged with St. Barbara’s, told the School Board that the City of Lackawanna had refunded $23,000 while Erie County had repaid $18,000 of taxes collected from 2008 to last year on St. Barbara’s Church, which is being demolished.

The school district, however, has not refunded its taxes.

“Through an improper determination by the city assessor, [the school district] overcharged us by . . . $9,378,” said Gene Nowicki, a trustee on the board of the former St. Barbara’s.

“So, when the city assessor, after many meetings, realized that [he] made a mistake, [the city] turned around and gave us our money back, . . . and the county gave us our money back,” Nowicki said after the meeting.

During the meeting, Saleh questioned why the district was not returning the funds, prompting Carl Morgan, the board’s attorney, to explain that, legally, the district could not do so because it was not a party to whatever legal action prompted the city and the county to return the funds.

“There is no reason why we should withhold [the church’s] money,” Saleh countered. “Legally, it’s not right; it’s unethical.”

Morgan, however, warned that if the board ignored his legal opinion and refunded the money, each board member could be held liable if a resident successfully claimed the refund amounted to be a gift of public funds.

“You took an oath. You have to stand by our legal opinion,” Ronald Miller, another board member, told Saleh.

The board also voted to establish four election districts at one polling site in Martin Road Elementary School. The move followed a decision by the state education commissioner overturning the board’s action reducing the number of election districts to one, with a single polling place.

Saleh unsuccessfully sought to table the resolution in favor of rescinding the entire plan to consolidate polling places.

He charged that it violated state Education Law as well as the 1965 Voting Rights Act, and said he plans a further appeal to the state education commissioner.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sounds like the news was wrong on the above.

What's your school's suspension rate?
    March 23, 2011 - 11:00 PM / Comment
    This week's school database provides suspension rates from 2007, 2008 and 2009 for every traditional public and charter school in Western New York.

(Although the 2009 data is a year and a half old at this point, it is the most recent available from the state.)

The percent given for each school, for each year, reflects the percentage of the student body who got suspended in that year. Whether a student was suspended once or 12 times, he or she is counted as one person. So if a school has 400 students, and 100 of them were suspended (each at least once) that year, then that school's suspension rate would be 25 percent.

As always, to make multiple selections, hold down the control key (PC) or the shift key (Mac).To do a new search, click here.

District School Suspensions 2009 Suspensions 2008 Suspensions 2007
    Lackawanna Lackawanna Middle 18% 15% 17%
    Lackawanna Martin Road Elementary 13% 13% 8%
    Lackawanna Global Concepts Charter 12% 11% 7%
    Lackawanna Lackawanna High 9% 9% 13%
    Lackawanna Truman Elementary 3% 4% 5%

Records 1-5 of 5

Online Database by Caspio
    Click here to load this Caspio Online Database.

- Mary Pasciak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread Information