Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lackawanna news

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lackawanna news

A Drug Raid In Lackawanna Lands Twenty People Behind Bars
    January 28, 2011

Updated Jan 28, 2011 at 1:55 PM EST

A six-month undercover drug investigation in Lackawanna came to a head today bring in drugs, cash and the arrests of 20 people.

Channel 7 was the only news channel on the scene to get exclusive video of the suspects. There were 18 males and two females brought into custody. Eleven of those people were transported to downtown Buffalo to be arraigned. The others had their first appearance in Lackawanna City court. They all face charges related to the illegal sale and possession of drugs.

E-News - subscribe to our daily newsletter

There were 14 agencies that participated in the raid including the Lackawanna Police, New York State Police, Erie County Sheriff's Office and the Hamburg S.W.A.T team.

Lackawanna Police Chief James Michael said they began the raid around five this morning, searching eight locations in the city. Just hours later, they had all their targeted suspects in custody.

The Lackawanna Police will hold a press conference at 1 p.m. where they will release the names and mug shots of the suspects. They will also talk more in-depth about what was found at the scenes and the amount of drug and money that was seized.

Stay tuned to Eyewitness news at 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. for more on this developing story.

Another sad day for Lackawanna. Watch the news tonight...
    Last edited by literal; January 28th, 2011 at 03:20 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good news,thanks for posting this.It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look around and realize this area has problems that are drug related.I'm glad it's being shook down and cleaned up,way to go to the people responsible for making it a better place for our kids to grow up...hope it's not just another front story and it's the real deal

Lackawanna news

Sad to see St. Barbara's being knocked down, especially when there are all sorts of grants available to rennovate. A church in Florida that is 95 years old received grants to rennovate the building into an apartment complex - producing property taxes for the City. Doesn't the City of Lackawanna have grant writers? Did the City Council or Mayor go to the City to ask the tax payers what they would like?

It just seems that the City of Lackawanna's solution is to condemn, board up, and knock down anything from the past. Sad. Sad. Sad.

Lackawanna news

In today's paper, Sweet Home was acknowledged for having a successful Universal Pre-K. I know that Lackawanna also has one. Anyone know how it's doing?

WASHINGTON -- The warning to the parents of the 26th Congressional District could not have been more stark.

"Responding to what may seem like a friendly e-mail or an appealing marketing offer can have serious consequences," Rep. Chris Lee wrote in June 2009 in a column in the Tonawanda News. "Private information and images can so easily be transmitted to friends and strangers alike."

Lee, obviously, failed to heed his own warning.

The Amherst Republican was touting legislation aimed at helping protect youngsters from "the dangers and unknowns associated with a medium that is growing by several billion web pages per day."

And by ignoring his own warning about the temptations of the Internet, Lee brought an abrupt end Wednesday to his own political career.

At about 2 p.m., Gawker -- a website best known for stories about Lindsay Lohan and other out-of-control celebrities -- published e-mails between Lee and a single Maryland woman whom he met on Craigslist. One of the e-mails came with a photo of the local congressman, shirtless.

By 4 p.m., the story had hit the New York Daily News, New York magazine, Daily Kos and a host of other blogs.

Soon, Lee's name appeared as one of the top 10 topics discussed on Twitter.

At 5 p.m., Lee resigned from Congress.

That was an astonishingly quick end to scandal in a city known for scandal.

It also shocked everyone, from people who knew Lee well to the partisans of the blogosphere.

A Democratic congressional aide said Lee -- the man with the astonishingly beautiful wife, friends on both sides of the aisle and a knack for the tell-it-like-it-is quote -- would be the last congressman he ever would expect to get caught up in scandal.

It also "may be the fastest-moving sex scandal ever," Daily Kos observed.

After all, it took two days for then-Gov. Eliot L. Spitzer to resign in 2008 after revelations surfaced that he had frequented a prostitute.

And Rep. Eric J.J. Massa, D-Corning, suffered through five days of humiliation last year before leaving office amid allegations that he groped a man on his staff.

By nightfall Wednesday, though, Lee was no longer a congressman, not even a human being with tragic weaknesses, but merely a target in the biggest firing range ever invented by mankind, the Internet.

Megan Carpenter of Talking Points Memo pointed to Lee's e-mails that identified himself as a divorced father of one when he is really married.

"The 'divorced father of one' part could happen earlier (depending on how well he works it out and the state in which it gets filed)," Carpenter observed.

And on Wonkette, he was Rep. Chris Lee (R-Casual Encounters) and a "weirdo."

Christopher Malagisi, an East Amherst native and Republican activist who also serves as an adjunct professor in political science at American University in Washington, D.C., learned about the developments from a colleague after they already had played out.

"It was kind of done before it even had broken," Malagisi said. "I went straight to Twitter and Facebook. I could see the feed already and all the information about it. There really wasn't much time to think about it."

For Malagisi, also active in the young conservative movement, it leaves an ignominious mark on a seat previously held by Jack F. Kemp, Bill Paxon and Thomas M. Reynolds.

"What a strange legacy that he's leaving for such a powerful district and a rising star within the party," he said.

Strange indeed. This well-liked young member of Congress and married father of one turns out to have flirted with a single woman on the Internet, trying to lure her in with a pack of lies -- and his real name.

Once she Googled him, he was done. And one of the lies he told would stand out as the saddest of all.

Writing to the woman he didn't know on Craigslist, Lee wrote: "I promise not to disappoint."

News Staff Reporter Joseph Popiolkowski contributed to this report.

jzremski@buffnews.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Check Recycling Schedules

Call 827-6489 City Council or
    827-6426 Engineer Office

A neighbor told me there is some kind of mix-up in dates of pick-ups of recyclables.
    Did they mail them out or do you have to call for a 2011 schedule? They were put in with tax bills years ago to save money.
    Maybe put in Bflo. News?

Quote Originally Posted by andreahaxton View Post
    Call 827-6489 City Council or
    827-6426 Engineer Office

A neighbor told me there is some kind of mix-up in dates of pick-ups of recyclables.
    Did they mail them out or do you have to call for a 2011 schedule? They were put in with tax bills years ago to save money.
    Maybe put in Bflo. News?
    I found this on the Lackawanna website under public works. The schedule there is in a better graph format. I never received a schedule in the mail either, they could have included it in our tax bill. The powers that be would also save us much aggravation if they would just pick up both co-mingled and paper every week. That's the way most of the other well run communities do it. Oh, I forgot... we're not a well run community!

2011 Lackawanna Recycling Schedule
    Go Green!

DPW/Sanitation 827-6406 827-6407

Paper
    Jan 3 to Jan 7
    May 9 to May 13
    Sept 12 to Sept 16
    Commingled
    Jan 10 to Jan 14
    May 16 to May 20
    Sept 19 to Sept 23
    Paper
    Jan 17 to Jan 21
    May 23 to May 27
    Sept 26 to Sept 30
    Commingled
    Jan 24 to Jan 28
    May 30 to June 3
    Oct 3 to Oct 7
    Paper
    Jan 31 to Feb 4
    June 6 to June 10
    Oct 10 to Oct 14
    Commingled
    Feb 7 to Feb 11
    June 13 to June 17
    Oct 17 to Oct 21
    Paper
    Feb 14 to Feb 18
    June 20 to June 24
    Oct 24 to Oct 28
    Commingled
    Feb 21 to Feb 25
    June 27 to July 1
    Oct 31 to Nov 4
    Paper
    Feb 28 to Mar 4
    July 4 to July 8
    Nov 7 to Nov 11
    Commingled
    Mar 7 to Mar 11
    July 11 to July 15
    Nov 14 to Nov 18
    Paper
    Mar 14 to Mar 18
    July 18 to July 22
    Nov 21 to Nov 25
    Commingled
    Mar 21 to Mar 25
    July 25 to July 29
    Nov 28 to Dec 2
    Paper
    Mar 28 to Apr 1
    Aug 1 to Aug 5
    Dec 5 to Dec 9
    Commingled
    Apr 4 to Apr 8
    Aug 8 to Aug 12
    Dec 12 to Dec 16
    Paper
    Apr 11 to Apr 15
    Aug 15 to Aug 19
    Dec 19 to Dec 23
    Commingled
    Apr 18 to Apr 22
    Aug 22 to Aug 26
    Dec 26 to Dec 30
    Paper
    Apr 25 to Apr 29
    Aug 29 to Sept 2

Commingled
    May 2 to May 6
    Sept 5 to Sept 9

Bulk Pickup
    Spring Pickup – Week of April 18 to 22 on your garbage day
    Summer Pickup – Week of June 13 to 17 on your garbage day
    Fall Pickup – Week of September 19 to 23 on your garbage day

Bulk Items
    Appliances Spring-made furniture Large Furniture
    washers chairs dressers scrap metal
    dryers couches desks/buffets whole rugs
    refrigerators mattresses/box spring console tv’s

Grass and yard waste will be picked up with your garbage on your garbage day. Grass and yard waste must be put in separate open containers. No plastic bags.

· Branches will be picked up from April 15 through October 15.
    · All branches must be placed at curbside with cut ends facing the street.
    · Christmas tress will be chipped at curbside. Please remove plastic bags from tree.
    · Leaves will be picked up from mid-October through November (weather permitting).

All items must be placed at curbside by 7 am and cannot be put out earlier than 6 pm the day before your pickup. Please note: There is a Maximum of 4 containers (e.g., cans, bags, boxes) of solid waste per pick up.

Contractors are responsible to remove all demolition materials from premises.

Post Very Astute!

Good eye/call, Crafty! Nice job, and Thanks for the info!

If the "family and friends" club weren't too busy planning their next vacation, maybe WE Citizens could get the correct information put out!

Lackawanna News

In today's paper is a list of school superintendents' salaries -

Lackawanna:

Korach makes $150,000 PLUS $52,274 in benefits

Talking

Sunflower were you not on the board for 3 yrs? Oh Ya you were just a yes person for Patty. Why would you feel the need to post that.....If it was in the paper.....TROUBLE that is all you people like to do is start trouble and talk about everyone......Have a great Day.........

A yes person for Patty is still better than five bought and paid for yes votes for Makeyenko. Just look and see what the 5 in the majority owe people or what family members have jobs in the district. Must be nice to get what you want by blindly following the pied piper of Lackawanna and shafting the kids and the taxpayers in the process.

P.S. Sunflower did not start the trouble in the paper. You can thank Gov. Andrew Cuomo for that! Its nice to see a guy taking on the school districts the way he is. Thanks Andy!
    Last edited by mnb811; February 14th, 2011 at 06:54 PM.

What do you care what happens in Lackawanna,mnb,didnt you move to Boston????Dont they have speak up boston that u can chime in on????The problem is that it is not your 5 people.Can you tell me that Patty and her 5 people did better???NOT......Raises for certain people,lawsuits ,paying her people out on the lawsuits and the list can go on......Do u find good in anything anyone does????Thats the problem everyone has the answers on here run for this years election, 3 open seats. Gotta be in it to WIN it.Maybe u can save the school.But i am sure you will come back w an excuse.

Yep I did move to Boston to get away from the crap that people like you instigate and do that ruins peoples lives that you don't agree with. I am glad I don't have to deal with a losing school district anymore. By the way the pied piper of Lackawanna Makeyenko can continue to lead his district and followers right off a cliff. It'll be fun to watch from Boston. I'll get my popcorn ready!

P.S. I still have family/friends that still live in Lackawanna. So I'll continue to point out what kind of bs you guys pull. Another thing they settled lawsuits on the advice of an attorney they fired and replaced with a law firm. Then you guys go out and rehire him. Makes a lot of sense! Who are the village idiots now. Take a look in the mirror.

P.S.S. Run for school board in a rigged election with one polling place? Are you kidding me. I'll tell everyone what a farce that is. Hopefully someone will stand up against you jokers.
    Last edited by mnb811; February 14th, 2011 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lackawanna #1 View Post
    Sunflower were you not on the board for 3 yrs? Oh Ya you were just a yes person for Patty. Why would you feel the need to post that.....If it was in the paper.....TROUBLE that is all you people like to do is start trouble and talk about everyone......Have a great Day.........
    I do not understand how you can say that anyone started trouble by posting what was written in the newspaper. Last time I checked, this site was for posting what was happening in the different communities. It is for the taxpayers to voice themselves on local and city politics. It appears you are the only one starting "trouble" Lackawanna #1. Korach's salary is for the public, as well as the mayor etc. to know. So what really has your undies all bunched up?

The real trouble starts at why they are paying him that much in the first place. I thought the city was a poor district. Didn't Makeyenko ask Dr. Wile to refund some money because the district needed money? I think someone should ask Korach the same question. Since he is from Lackawanna I am sure he will understand that his city school district needs him to cut costs now more than ever. Why not take a pay cut to show how much you care about Lackawanna? Why not take a page out of Makeyenko's suggestion to Dr. Wile and Cuomo's book?

P.S. Did Korach ever move back to Lackawanna? After all I thought you "need to keep people who live in this city in charge of it not outsiders."(Makeyenko's words at school board meeting) Not mine.
    Last edited by mnb811; February 14th, 2011 at 09:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information