Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do School Board Members get paid?

Do School Board Members get paid?

I have always wondered about that and didn't know how to find out. Does anyone know if there is a salary related to being a Cheektowaga School Board member and if so, what is it?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by bornandraised
    I have always wondered about that and didn't know how to find out. Does anyone know if there is a salary related to being a Cheektowaga School Board member and if so, what is it?

Thanks,
    My understanding is that school board members do not get any compensation. It is strictly a voluntary elected position.

Thanks,

No pay what so ever

I think some city school boards in NY get paid. I believe Buffalo's Board members get a small stipend (like $5,000.) As for suburban schools, the answer is no. Generally a thankless job without pay. True public servants, unlike most of today's elected officials.

Thanks,
    Have you thought about contacting the HR department of the school system and asking them?

That seems the logical place to start.

Micheal

Quote Originally Posted by charlie0407
    No pay what so ever
    charlie you know we school board members don't get paid , many have other ventures in mind

Quote Originally Posted by wazooo86
    charlie you know we school board members don't get paid , many have other ventures in mind
    Indeed they sometimes do ....
    In Alden a local childcare business owner ran for and won a seat on the SB. Guess which childcare biz. got the contract to provide the before- and after-school care right in the schools? Also, sometimes the kids make toys, etc. in their classes that are then 'donated' to the childcare biz. owned by the SB member! A for-profit biz!

Quote Originally Posted by AldenBob
    In Alden a local childcare business owner ran for and won a seat on the SB. Guess which childcare biz. got the contract to provide the before- and after-school care right in the schools? Also, sometimes the kids make toys, etc. in their classes that are then 'donated' to the childcare biz. owned by the SB member! A for-profit biz!
    I never thought of that

A similar situation happened at Depew. A recently elected school board member's son was granted a part-time summer job in June and now rumor has it his wife is up for a position at the high school this fall. Would that be considered compensation?

Only school board members of the 'Big 5' - New York, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Yonkers - receive compensation for their board service. Employment of a family member in the district is allowed, but along with doing business with the district, should always be heavily weighed for potential conflict of interest. Although, there are many board members and many layers in place to control any potential abuse of these positions.

I have no problem if a family member works in the same school district as the school board as long as that person is the most qualified person for the position. I know in my school district that there is a screening and interview process that recommends to the board a specific candidate. The board then reviews their qualifications and resume to determine if the person is a suitable appointment.

AldenBob, was this daycare the only one who applied for the job? Were they the most qualified? There are a lot of factors that go into a decision, not just a person or companies last name. There may also be instances where family members are not appointed to positions because they are not the most qualified. A person could make the claim that the process discriminated against them because of their last name too.

Just some food for thought.

Very seriously, how many larger accredited childcare companies are there in Alden that could handle a large number of children?

Thanks,
    School board members get rewarded with the ability to screw their neighbor.
    The Niagara wheatfield School board is known as the new Taliban.

Alden bob,

No response?

Quote Originally Posted by Cgoodsp466
    School board members get rewarded with the ability to screw their neighbor.
    The Niagara wheatfield School board is known as the new Taliban.

Maybe we should pay people that way we would attract new people to do a good job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information