Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Teacher's Aides

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by cath829 View Post
    High school diploma gets you the job.....NYS certification can come after your hired. This practice started with the state in approximately 2004. They also start at about $26,000 base I believe.
    Anyone know how many hours a week the position is?

As a start do they get $26,000 gross or does this reflect the base and bene costs?

Anyone know if they are part of a union that once they are hired you simply can't get rid of them as we have seen in the past?

Did the enrollment increase which then increased the need for more aids?

The enrollment is down. They need more aides because of campaign promises and favors owed to people.

FYI: Some of these aides are making 30grand or more as per seethrough ny website. I don't have a problem with teacher's aides but why do we need more than larger districts? This sounds like a jobs bank for family and friends and that is exactly what the list of teacher aides shows.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Anyone know how many hours a week the position is?

As a start do they get $26,000 gross or does this reflect the base and bene costs?

Anyone know if they are part of a union that once they are hired you simply can't get rid of them as we have seen in the past?

Did the enrollment increase which then increased the need for more aids?
    My understanding is that they only work about 7 hrs./day, which includes a 1 hr. paid lunch, plus some breaks here and there just for good measure. They only work 10 months/yr. and get full benefits on top of the base salary! Sick days, vacation days.....yep, got them too!
    And yes, it is a union position complete with 3 full yrs. of call back rights!!!
    Sounds like a pretty sweet gig if you ask me.........
    And no, the enrollment has not been increasing.......it has been decreasing........

Teacher's Aides

O.k., this is getting worse and worse. If what I'm reading...teacher's aides are specifically for students with special needs. Right? The teacher's aides are NOT qualified or certified for special needs students, but rather are hired as political favors? They get $26,000 as a base salary to DO WHAT? And are you saying that Lackawanna is overflowing in special needs students and that is why the district is literally tripping over teacher aides and new aides are constantly being added? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by youcangohome View Post
    wrong!!!!!! you've been gone too long. Stay gone
    No, I don't think so...there are "teacher aide" jobs and then there are "teacher assistant" jobs. The state had GREAT difficulty in implementing the certification piece in 2004 for TEACHER ASSISTANTS. It has taken all these years to work out some of the "how's" to make this happen. Most candidates today who apply do have some college experience. Lackawanna has one of the HIGHEST paid salary schedules for teacher aides/assistants.

Go to the web NYS Teacher aide/assistant certification....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

High school diploma gets you the job.....NYS certification can come after your hired. This practice started with the state in approximately 2004. They also start at about $26,000 base I believe.
    Here is a clip from the NYS web that applies to TEACHER ASSISTANT CERTIFICATION. Aides are NOT certified.

Those seeking teaching assistant certification in New York State must apply through the state's Education Department. Prospective assistants must complete the "Child Abuse Identification and School Violence Prevention and Intervention" course and pass either the "New York State Assessment of Teaching Assistant Skills" exam or the "Liberal Arts and Sciences Test," according to the New York City Department of Education

Read more: New York State Teacher Aide Certification | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_7258503_ne...#ixzz1C3s3jZno
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

•Teacher's aides, also referred to as teacher's assistants or paraprofessionals, are expected to complete an exam and numerous workshops in order to be certified as a teacher's assistant by the New York State Department of Education. Once all of the requirements are complete, an assistant must apply to the State Education Department for State Certification as a teacher's aide or assistant. When looking for a job, employers in New York will look for applicants who have completed the necessary requirements and are certified by the state.
    ATAS Exam
    •Teaching assistants are expected to take the Assessment of Teaching Assistant Skills (ATAS) exam, and to receive a qualifying score. This allows the assistants to obtain a Level I, II, III or Pre-Professional New York State teaching assistant certificate that proves that they have the skills and knowledge it takes to aid a teacher and care for students when necessary. The subjects on the exam include reading, writing, math and instructional support, meaning how to teach those subjects to a class. In order to take the exam, a person must have six semester hours of educational study completed and must have completed one year of experience with a temporary license.

Read more: New York State Teacher's Aide Requirements | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6590107_new...#ixzz1C3ucZQ00
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wrong again....certified and clear background check PRIOR to employment.

Post Follow the Money!

Quote Originally Posted by literal View Post
    Here is a clip from the NYS web that applies to TEACHER ASSISTANT CERTIFICATION. Aides are NOT certified.

Those seeking teaching assistant certification in New York State must apply through the state's Education Department. Prospective assistants must complete the "Child Abuse Identification and School Violence Prevention and Intervention" course and pass either the "New York State Assessment of Teaching Assistant Skills" exam or the "Liberal Arts and Sciences Test," according to the New York City Department of Education

Read more: New York State Teacher Aide Certification | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_7258503_ne...#ixzz1C3s3jZno

I sure hope the Lackawanna School district is NOT paying the cost to update the credentials of all these Assistants/Aides, whatever. Or is it in their contract too?
    Most people have to pay for their own schooling.
    This mandate came in many years ago didn't it? I hope everyone they hired since the mandatory certificate required for the position, came in with one.

It would be interesting to know if they do this or pay for them to go to school while on the job to get it. Like the City did ----can you imagine, tax money paid for schooling required for a job title upon hire, BUT the "family and friends club" put their person in because the "pay back" was due.
    Worse than pathetic to me.

Post Easy!

" clear background check PRIOR to employment. "

Easy, all you do is pay $100.00 to the LPD for this---and bring it in. Call 822-4900 and ask for LT. Kukeleka(if I spelled wrong, sorry)---he is the man for this service.
    Last edited by andreahaxton; January 25th, 2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Delete

Quote Originally Posted by youcangohome View Post
    Wrong again....certified and clear background check PRIOR to employment.
    Then enlighten me. I will be asking to see Teachers Aide certification from NYS when they hire them.

Then enlighten me. I will be asking to see Teachers Aide certification from NYS when they hire them.
    This is NOT a simple answer as what was "then" is different from "now."
    The teacher aides who were hired years ago were grandfathered in when the new regulations came into place. ALL were told to get certified. Every district is different as to WHO picked up the cost. This may have been negotiated in Lackawanna depending on when the contact expired etc. The state soon realized that this was very complicated and it took years to get the language and requirement timeline worked out.

Most schools/employers now have "electronic" fingerprinting and do NOT have the police do it. You register for your fingerprints on line (pay the fee), get a printed bar code and go to a site where NON POLICE PERSONNEL do the fingerprints that go to the FBI. Just had mine done last year and that is the new process. Maybe parts of NY are not upgraded to that yet. Cost varies and some districts pay this as a "perk" for new hires, many others require the candidate to do this. Your fingerprints never change but your criminal history may so many places require this be done every 5 years.

What started as an "aide" to assist teachers in the classroom has changed. An aide cannot do instruction for example, as assistant can. They are used to help all special education students who need extra one on one help in the room so the teacher can focus on the class. These assistants are written in to a special education child's Individual Educational Plan (IEP) and ARE REQUIRED BY LAW! A school district will be in violation if this is NOT provided.

Here is the question for the Special Ed. Department in Lackawanna. How many kids in LA are classified and how many assistants are assigned to work with them? Then, what do the others do who are NOT assigned to special education kids? Hmmmm, I think THIS is the problem and it would be interesting to see the number.

Be prepared. I do believe that Lackawanna has a high number of kids in special education compared to their population and other school districts!

You can check this out by looking at Lackawanna School District Report card on line.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

read the job posting

[QUOTE=andreahaxton;707703]" clear background check PRIOR to employment. "

Easy, all you do is pay $100.00 to the LPD for this---and bring it in. Call 822-4900 and ask for LT. Kukeleka(if I spelled wrong, sorry)---he is the man for this service.[/QUOTE

WRONG AGAIN!!!!!!! Done by FBI and it takes weeks

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information