Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Markel to run for the EC Legislature?

Cool Charlie Markel to run for the EC Legislature?

I heard a rumor today the Cheektowaga Town Council member Charlie Markel might run against Tina Bove for the 9th Dist. Erie County Legislature seat. Both are Dems, so it would be another hot Primary!

The current district includes all of West Seneca and South Cheektowaga. Who knows what it will look like with the upcoming downsizing/re-districting from 15 seats to just 11.

Lends some interest to the Fall races, doesn't it?

Charlie Markel would make a great addition to the county Legislature. He has been an advocate for the people on the Cheektowaga town board and would be sorely missed by the people of Cheektowaga as a board member.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Would more be accomplished if he stayed a board member for the town?

What is the point of him running for higher office when the job isn't completed in the town?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post

What is the point of him running for higher office when the job isn't completed in the town?
    Even though I would prefer he stay on the town board as I agree, the job is not completed in the town. He would serve a greater number of people in the county legislature.

Having said that, Cheektowaga has a great opportunity this November to change the way the town has operated for the past 40 years by electing Ted Morton as the new supervisor (there are also 3 board seats up for election as well as the highway superintendent and clerk). Ted is a refreshing, capable candidate that is ready for the opportunity to make the town of Cheektowaga a place that people would want to live in as opposed to move away from. He has a background in finance and is a capable manager.

I have known Ted for some 7 or 8 years now and I can say that he is a man of actions and not just words. He will make for a supervisor that is willing to go the extra mile in order to serve the people of Cheektowaga and make the town a better place to live.

He truly cares about the people of the town and frankly people everywhere as evidenced by his selfless generosity a while back. Ted felt led to help a stranger and donated one of his kidney's to a man in Derby that was picked from a list of potential candidates.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post

Res, what is your definition of "completing the job" in the town?

Has anyone in office ever "completed the job"?

Charlie Markel has shown that he is involved and passionate in the work he does on behalf of the taxpayers. As one of seven town board members in Cheektowaga, he can only do or advocate for so much on his own. This year, ha has to choose to run for re-election or seek another position.

The County Legislature, a logical "next step" of increased political activity if one exists, could use someone like Charlie who works with everyone and has the taxpayers as his first priority. What a concept!

And, I say all this as someone not affiliated in any way with his party!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Charlie should stay where he's at and help ted get elected. And then once elected work with him.

Having charlie become a EC Legislator will not effect town residents as much as Charlie staying on the board. It's property/school taxes that are the chunk of our living expense in the town.

Charley spent this round learning how the town works and should take that experience and work with Ted if elected.

Honestly I think it's bull**** when people get elected and try to move up the ladder each time the next election roles around. I believe that is one reason why so little seems to change in our area.

I may be selfish when I say that I would like to see Charlie stay for one more term. He's done so much in the last 3+ years. I hate to see him stop now. There is an opportunity in November to change the board's make up and have more people like minded with Charlie on the board.
    Imagine how well the town would run with 3 more Charlies on the board?
    Of course, this is the USA and Charlie is free to do as he pleases

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy View Post
    Res, what is your definition of "completing the job" in the town?

The job is to show some effective change that the town resident physically sees. I don't want to see "theoretical" savings. I want to see physical savings in town/school taxes. Would you use a coupon at Wegmans if it was "we saved you" but you still pay the same price (or more) if you used it? It is not a savings unless you physically save money.

Otherwise it's just bull**** and lip service. Something the hard core "political lifers" turned into a art form in NYS. Have you listened to the speech from Tim Kennedy?

http://www.speakupwny.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=137166

I'm gonna say it. Lip service.

Has anyone in office ever "completed the job"?

There ya go. My point exactly. That's why I believe Charlie and others should work to get more like minded people elected versus hopping to another elected seat.

Charlie Markel has shown that he is involved and passionate in the work he does on behalf of the taxpayers. As one of seven town board members in Cheektowaga, he can only do or advocate for so much on his own. This year, ha has to choose to run for re-election or seek another position.

Sure has so why stop now and hop to another elected position. The time he spends running for that office is time not spent doing what he was elected to do.

The County Legislature, a logical "next step" of increased political activity if one exists, could use someone like Charlie who works with everyone and has the taxpayers as his first priority. What a concept!

Refer to this: "Has anyone in office ever "completed the job"?"

When looking at my town tax bill the county portion is a small percentage to the town/school taxes. I would see a larger savings if those were tackled before the smaller percentage of county taxes.

And, I say all this as someone not affiliated in any way with his party!
    If someone is running for office they should state if they are in it for the long haul or just using the spot as a stepping stop to a higher position.

My opinion. Run Charlie for town supervisor and get Ted on the board. Or Ted for super and charley run's again for town board.

Do you really want to give Max a chance to get some slug elected to Charley's seat? Lot of these people are in it only for themselves and don't give two ****s what town residents pay in taxes as long as they get their pockets lined.

If Bove loses the Primary, in my opinion she will run in November anyways on IP Line (she will have that) and Working Family (very good chance she will have that as well based on history).

From what I read, the new district could be West Seneca, Cheektowaga, and Depew.

In my opinion, Markel will need another line besides Democratic Line but he can beat Bove.

Quote Originally Posted by wnyfuture View Post
    If Bove loses the Primary, in my opinion she will run in November anyways on IP Line (she will have that) and Working Family (very good chance she will have that as well based on history).

From what I read, the new district could be West Seneca, Cheektowaga, and Depew.

In my opinion, Markel will need another line besides Democratic Line but he can beat Bove.
    Maybe he can primary on the Independent line.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    Even though I would prefer he stay on the town board as I agree, the job is not completed in the town. He would serve a greater number of people in the county legislature.

Having said that, Cheektowaga has a great opportunity this November to change the way the town has operated for the past 40 years by electing Ted Morton as the new supervisor (there are also 3 board seats up for election as well as the highway superintendent and clerk). Ted is a refreshing, capable candidate that is ready for the opportunity to make the town of Cheektowaga a place that people would want to live in as opposed to move away from. He has a background in finance and is a capable manager.

I have known Ted for some 7 or 8 years now and I can say that he is a man of actions and not just words. He will make for a supervisor that is willing to go the extra mile in order to serve the people of Cheektowaga and make the town a better place to live.

He truly cares about the people of the town and frankly people everywhere as evidenced by his selfless generosity a while back. Ted felt led to help a stranger and donated one of his kidney's to a man in Derby that was picked from a list of potential candidates.
    When and where do you get to meet these candidates? The Republican party in this Town is non-existant. The web site has no info, Check back regularly for the latest information from the Cheektowaga Republican Committee... it has said that forever, nothing ever appears.

I'm not trying to be a pain, but, it's the same thing all the time. No info on anything. I've asked before, been told, we will let you know....nothing ever comes.
    If it weren't for the United States Military, there would be NO United States of America !

Quote Originally Posted by JustRetired View Post
    When and where do you get to meet these candidates? The Republican party in this Town is non-existant. The web site has no info, Check back regularly for the latest information from the Cheektowaga Republican Committee... it has said that forever, nothing ever appears.

I'm not trying to be a pain, but, it's the same thing all the time. No info on anything. I've asked before, been told, we will let you know....nothing ever comes.
    Go check the website again. The Republicans have a working committee in Cheektowaga and have been active for a very long time. Granted there are not as many Republicans in Cheektowaga (I believe that we are outnumbered something like 2.7-1) but that doesn't mean that they are non-existent. Even though there has not been a Republican in any capacity in Cheektowaga for some 20 years, this is not due Republican laziness. On the contrary, we have run candidates for most every open position in every election since I have joined the committee, some 7 years now. It is rather the democratic monopoly in the town that has kept Republicans from winning. Remember, we are outnumbered by Democrats in the Town. Also, a Republican cannot even get a job in Cheektowaga due to political affiliation. The Democrats have held a stranglehold on this town for some 40 years now.

This year we have an excellent candidate running for supervisor. I am sure that the name of Ted Morton will become notable this election cycle. This is a great opportunity for the town to change the way the town has been headed, which is the same as it always was with the guarantee of higher taxes and more spending due to the Democratic policies that have caused a great population decrease due to the high taxation in all the districts. After all, 4 of the top highest taxes in Erie county are in the town of Cheektowaga. This is no accident but due to the Democratic leadership and policies that have been the norm for a long time in the town.

2010 Rank Municipality 2010 2009 2008
    1 West Seneca 17.25 17.39 17.38
    2 Town of Cheektowaga 15.15 14.53 14.17
    3 Village of Sloan (Cheektowaga) 13.88 13.31 13.09
    4 Village of Williamsville (Cheektowaga) 13.87 13.31 13.09
    5 Town of Tonawanda (Homestead) 13.55 13.29 12.38
    6 Village of Depew (Cheektowaga) 12.48 11.99 11.72

Not only that but take a look at the disparity between town employees and the rest of the people of the town:

Residents of Cheektowaga Town of Cheektowaga Employees
    Median Income (wages only, does not include health and fringe benefits) $46,249 $53,400

While the population has decreased nearly 10%, the budget has nearly doubled in the past 10 years.

Median Incomes of Cheektowaga Residents vs. Employees Erie County Town Tax Rates
    Year Population Town Budget
    1990 99,314
    $47 million

$76 million
    2008 87,788

$82 million
    $84.7 million

It is truly a chance this November to turn these unacceptable practices back 180 degrees. Look for more information here as well as on the official Cheektowaga Republican Committee website in the coming months.

http://cheektowagagop.com/index.htm

I hear that West Seneca Democratic Chairman Dan MacParlene is interested in running. I hear he has a very good relationship with West Seneca and Cheektowaga.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by rumor4wny View Post
    I hear that West Seneca Democratic Chairman Dan MacParlene is interested in running. I hear he has a very good relationship with West Seneca and Cheektowaga.
    I don't care if there is a "good" relationship with West Seneca and Cheektowaga. I want lower school/property taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by rumor4wny View Post
    I hear that West Seneca Democratic Chairman Dan MacParlene is interested in running.
    Running for what?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information