Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011

May 2011 be a year with no looking back to 2010 with any regrets but looking forward to a new year filled with HOPE!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by literal View Post
    May 2011 be a year with no looking back to 2010 with any regrets but looking forward to a new year filled with HOPE!

Happy New Year Literal!

2010 wasn't so good.

TODAY'S HEADLINES: AMERICAN CITIES THAT ARE RUNNING OUT OF PEOPLE. THE WRITING IS ON THE WALL, LACKAWANNA - WE CAN'T CONTINUE DOING POLITICS THE SAME OLD SAME OLD...

Buffalo, N.Y.

Population: 270,240
    Population Change 2000-2009: -21,970
    Population Percent Change 2000-2009: -7.52%
    Home Vacancy: 17.2%

Another victim of the Erie Canal boom and bust, Buffalo was the 13th largest city in the country just before WW II. It is now the 70th. Like Rochester, the city was once a premier mill town due to its location to the canal. Massive electricity generation from Niagara Falls improved Buffalo's industrial capacity, and the city referred to itself as the "City of Lights" for a time because of its power production. The collapse of the canal and improvements in the energy industry that made Niagara Falls less important led to the mass migration from the city which continues to this day. In the 1970s alone, Buffalo lost more than 100,000 residents, roughly a third of its current population.

Can't we try to stay away from "stinking thinking" that puts us into the NEGATIVE headlines of yesterday? What are YOU doing to make the world a better place??????

Put some "SUN" into that flower......

Read: The Power of One and BELIEVE IT!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Those who do not learn from the past fail in the future. I guess you like that?

Those headlines are not from the past...they were on today's Yahoo page dated 1-1-11. Because I'm a little concerned about my City and the direction it's going makes me a negative person?

"It's impossible." said pride. "It's risky." said experience. "It's pointless." said reason. "Give it a try." whispered the heart.

What am I doing to make the world a better place you ask? Volunteering in my community...like I've always done and will continue to do. Sometimes all we can do is touch one person's life with one small gesture at a time, you know?

My neighborhood is changing. I'm not being negative. I'm stating a fact. Politics as usual isn't going to work when you're dealing with people who come into Lackawanna to rent and not to buy homes - they don't care who's running for what office. What are we doing to attract families to Lackawanna and keep them here? That's all I meant by that posting...

Even Jesus had to shake the dust from his feet and move on...that's all that I am saying.

Also, WHO learns from the PAST? If it were that simple, the world would not be in the state that it is in!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." -- Douglas Adams
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one is entitled to their own facts.

Headlines??????

I woke up to face another day.........
    My house was not washed away or flooded............
    I have my health.............
    Somewhere, new life is being born.........
    Somewhere heroes are being recognized......
    And the list can go on and on of the GOOD things being done by every day, courageous people who shape their own destiny.
    If they can't.....they move on!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Headlines??????

I woke up to face another day.........
    My house was not washed away or flooded............
    I have my health.............
    Somewhere, new life is being born.........
    Somewhere heroes are being recognized......
    And the list can go on and on of the GOOD things being done by every day, courageous people who shape their own destiny.
    If they can't.....they move on!!!!!
    Courageous people stand up and fight to eliminate what is wrong in Lackawanna. You have no idea what people are doing to improve Lackawanna, seeing how you booked. Sometimes the silent majority is not as silent as you may think it is. They have the courage to shape destiny. These are the courageous people. What courage has Szymanski and Jaworski shown in the last couple terms of office. What have they done to improve the city? Status quo.

Even Jesus had to shake the dust from his feet and move on...that's all that I am saying.

Also, WHO learns from the PAST? If it were that simple, the world would not be in the state that it is in!
    My point exactly. Atleast I learned from the past. I guess I am the only one then. Explains why this country is headed down the same path as the demise of the Romans and Greeks! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by gibbsgal View Post
    Courageous people stand up and fight to eliminate what is wrong in Lackawanna. You have no idea what people are doing to improve Lackawanna, seeing how you booked. Sometimes the silent majority is not as silent as you may think it is. They have the courage to shape destiny. These are the courageous people. What courage has Szymanski and Jaworski shown in the last couple terms of office. What have they done to improve the city? Status quo.
    No, "courageous" people are different from idiots who keep doing the same think over and over and expecting different results. You are describing fools!

I am NOT Szymanski or Jaworski. They were elected by the people and their stay where they are depends on the will/vote OF THE PEOPLE not the whims of their critics. I do NOt walk in their shoes and will NOT be accountable for THEM. Plain and simple. Would you kill a mosquito with a grenade? I do not think so.............so, pick your battles and hopefully those you can win!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No, "courageous" people are different from idiots who keep doing the same think over and over and expecting different results. You are describing fools!

I am NOT Szymanski or Jaworski. They were elected by the people and their stay where they are depends on the will/vote OF THE PEOPLE not the whims of their critics. I do NOt walk in their shoes and will NOT be accountable for THEM. Plain and simple. Would you kill a mosquito with a grenade? I do not think so.............so, pick your battles and hopefully those you can win! Quote.

Doing the same think over and over? Wake up on the wrong side of the bed today. You seem touchy. I don't recall calling you Szymanski or Jaworski, I simply asked what courage did they show. Actually, the question was not directed only toward you, but any other person who wanted to comment.

Who is fighting a battle? You are the one who came out with dukes flying. Go grab a piña colada and come back tomorrow. Oh, what you described above about people doing the same over and over...Insanity my dear girl! But then again we are talking about the City of Lackawanna. Fits perfectly!

So if you can't win the battle you roll over and play dead? LOL Yeah right.

Cuomo is taking a 5% cut in pay - he and his staff because he won't ask the voters to do something he's not willing to do himself. Sometimes it only takes one person to stand up and say "ENOUGH OF THIS MADNESS!" and then do something - take a step in another direction. That's all I'm asking the Lackawanna politicians to do. What "worked" in the past will not work today. We are no longer Bethlehem Steel or Ford Plant people. Like I said earlier, I've watched my neighborhood change over the past 4 years. I see more and more renters, homes being bought up by "outsiders" who use them as income property, and in the summer there are large groups of teenagers roaming the streets who don't move when I'm driving toward them. They dare me to hit them. They scream obscenities if I drive too close. Lackawanna does not have a youth center. The Youth Board is a joke. My car was broken into 3 times in one week this summer parked in my own driveway!

The face and climate of Lackawanna has changed. The politicians and their ways of doing things have not changed. It's time to be pro-active. It's time to address the issues. We aren't attracting large tax paying businesses into our City and we're taxing our ma & pop businesses half to death! Renters aren't concerned about who's running for what office...when I walked my neighborhood to get campaign signatures a couple years ago, I met people who informed me that they were "conficted felons" or were from out-of-state and weren't registered voters. I had to stop walking my dog at night for awhile because of pit bulls.

Pro-active means giving the summer jobs to children of families who need the income. Pro-active means a community center that offers programs, workshops and services to our residents. Pro-active means an unbiased local newspaper that reports BOTH SIDES so voters can have a choice. Pro-active means addressing people who pile their garbage out on the curb 2 and 3 days prior to pick-up so that it attracts animals, neighborhood children and gets blown all over the streets in windy weather. Pro-active is addressing the gangs of bored teenagers who block traffic. Pro-active is encouraging block clubs and community action groups.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information