Thread: Tragic Death of a Leader

Cool Tragic Death of a Leader

On Sunday, June 3rd, Dan Shanahan, Jr. was killed on the way to work at the Lakeview Shock Facility. Dan was a Corrections Officer for the State of New York, but was also the Chief of the Seneca Hose Fire Company, in West Seneca.

It was a horrendous crash. The Brockton Fire Company did their very best, but it was over before they got there, over as soon as it happened.

Dan Shanahan was my friend. I didn't see him every day, or even every week or month, but when we did see each other, we shook hands, and immediately struck up a "catch up" conversation; kids, family, life, fire company stuff. Just Memorial Day we had our catch up talk before the West Seneca Parade.

Tonight I attended his wake. Dan, as Chief, was one of the leaders of the volunteer fire service in West Seneca. There were so, so many people there. Hundreds of people. Dan's wife, two kids, parents, in laws and relatives. Corrections Officers, Police officers, neighbors, friends.

Just hunddreds of Volunteer Fire fighters from all over Erie County, Fort Erie in Canada, other areas. They came to say goodbye to a co worker, a friend, a neighbor. To say goodbye to a husband, father, son, relative. To be strong and offer comfort to the family.

Dan Shanahan was my friend.

I will miss him. Like those countless others, he was a part of my life that is now gone, but not forgotten. Never forgotten.

Dan Shanahan was my friend. I offer my condolences, prayers, support to his family, friends, loved ones.

Dan Shanahan was my friend. Goodbye, Dan. We love you, we miss you.

We will never forget you.

God Speed, Dan Shanahan.

Sorry to hear about this.

Thanks for sharing your memories of Dan with us.

Unregistered

Unhappy

Sorry for your loss BigGuy.

Many of us here can sympathize with you over the loss of a friend.

Isn't there somebody looking to sue due to the fact he was driving the "Chief's" truck at the time of the crash? If so that's one of the lowest acts I've ever heard of.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd
    Isn't there somebody looking to sue due to the fact he was driving the "Chief's" truck at the time of the crash? If so that's one of the lowest acts I've ever heard of.
    FisherRd, I hadn't heard that, but if it is indeed true I would certainly agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy
    FisherRd, I hadn't heard that, but if it is indeed true I would certainly agree with you.

I'm glad to hear you haven't heard anything about it, it gives me hope that it was a rumor.
    Although I didn't know the guy I know plenty of people that did. My condolences.

Thread Information