Thread: Flea remedy for Ferrets

Flea remedy for Ferrets

HELP... I just found my little tweek covered in fleas... She has never had them before. The person downstairs has 2 huge cats and she says her cats have fleas and she has been spraying and powdering her cats. My apartnemt doesnt have any carpeting its all hardwood so i dont think i have to treat the floors. I washed he and combed about 50 fleas off of her, cleaned her cage and bedding. I dont know what I should use that will be safe for her? Any suggestions?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Shave the ferret so the fleas have no place to hide.

I would call a vet. Have you called any of the pet stores?
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

I went to Pet Co. and Pet Smart and niether one of them could recommend anything. I bought some spray for the hallway... thats the only place there is a carpet and i think they are coming up here via the stairs from the lower tenant. I did find a natural cat and kitten remedy it has peppermint oil,clove oil,lemon grass oil, canola oil,vanillin,and citric acid... no chemicals so Im giving it a try.

Im only going to put half the dose on her.

Did you actually buy the ferret, or was it there when you got the apartment?
    Are you sure it's a ferret?

Ill tell ya what, ill take the ferret, you keep the fleas.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

We have a cat and a dog and we're infested with fleas this year. It seems everyone has them bad this year as I've heard other people in town talking about them at the stores, and there was something about it on the news the other morning also. Unfortuneately, the news also said that usually when there is a bad summer for fleas, its generally followed by a just as bad of a tick season.
    Many of the rooms of my house have hardwood floors, and I noticed that the fleas will get down and hide in the little spaces between the slats.

I would imagine anything safe for a Kitten you can use on a Ferret. You don't however want to use anything for a dog on a cat (or Ferret) as I believe they judge the dosage on body size and weight. Using flea medicine for a Dog on a Cat will fry the Cat's brain either temporary or permenantly. Unfortuneately, my sister found this out when she mixed up the treatments one time and used the one for meant for her dog on her cat.

I have had the Ferret fro 2 years. I rescued her from certain death in a trap someone set for her in their yard. I found out about it when some friends were talking about it and went and got her. She is a sable female and very sweet. We put an add in the local paper to possibly find her owners but no luck. Im usually a dog person but my last dog was 9 and had a stroke which left her blind so I had to put her down.

The kitten meds didnt work she still had a few on her this morning. Guess its time to call the vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chant View Post
    We have a cat and a dog and we're infested with fleas this year. It seems everyone has them bad this year as I've heard other people in town talking about them at the stores, and there was something about it on the news the other morning also. Unfortuneately, the news also said that usually when there is a bad summer for fleas, its generally followed by a just as bad of a tick season.
    Many of the rooms of my house have hardwood floors, and I noticed that the fleas will get down and hide in the little spaces between the slats.

I would imagine anything safe for a Kitten you can use on a Ferret. You don't however want to use anything for a dog on a cat (or Ferret) as I believe they judge the dosage on body size and weight. Using flea medicine for a Dog on a Cat will fry the Cat's brain either temporary or permenantly. Unfortuneately, my sister found this out when she mixed up the treatments one time and used the one for meant for her dog on her cat.
    I know that is really dangerous. A friend of mine actually treated her dog for fleas with advantage and her dog and cat were playing with each other right afterward. Later that night her cat had a siezure and was blind for the rest of its life. The vet said it was the flea meds from the dog.

Damn, all these people whose animals are infested with fleas and chiggers (Ticks too, I bet).

Don't you guys know what a vet is? Revolution once a month keeps the fleas, chiggers, and ticks away, with no problems. Hell, you can even use Revolution on Ferrets (You need to go to a vet to get special dosing).
    Raptor Jesus: He went extinct for your sins.

I was on the coast of southern Spain some years ago,, and I saw a guy walking his large brown dog on the beach.. it was a lion.

Imagine busting up a lawn fete with that!

Last edited by FisherRd; August 19th, 2010 at 05:33 PM.

Thread Information