Thread: What government office or agency is the most poorly run?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What government office or agency is the most poorly run?

What is the worst managed government agency or office in Western New York?

Buffalo Economic Renaissance Corp (BERC)?
    Buffalo Municipal Housing Corp (BMHC)?
    Erie Canal Harbor Development Corp (ECHDC)?
    Buffalo Police Department?
    Buffalo Fire Department?
    City of Buffalo - Office of Human Resources?
    Buffalo Public Schools

Government abuse, excess, or incompetence...?

The worst Public Administrators?

theCityPolitic.com

Buffalo schools

buffalo schools think increasing from 51% failure to 50% failure is great they dont want to change what they are doing because they improved. where else would a 50% failure rate be torrerated with out changing drasticly or at least a massive turn over in the people who cant do a better job at teaching
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Quote Originally Posted by granpabob View Post
    buffalo schools think increasing from 51% failure to 50% failure is great they dont want to change what they are doing because they improved. where else would a 50% failure rate be torrerated with out changing drasticly or at least a massive turn over in the people who cant do a better job at teaching
    I must disagree. I think a whole lot of socio-economic factors come into play with Buffalo schools, plus a lot of teacher burnout, territorial battles between administrators and so on -- the same story you hear in other big, impoverished districts.

I'd love to see something done that is radically different. Since this WNY, that's not going to happen. But short of that, charter schools should be given every chance possible (although, frankly, I do worry about the lack of oversight)

Anyway, I don't know which Buffalo agency is worse. But one I believe is incredibly arrogant is the Erie Canal Harbor Development Corp. Those guys are a piece of work.

I was at a meeting once of residents at an apartment complex that would end up next to a huge parking ramp the ECHDC wanted to build. The residents had complained, protested, forever. This meeting, it was clear to me, was window dressing. How do I know? I sitting next to Jordan Levy, the chairman, and he spent the entire time on his Blackberry...paid no attention to what the people were talking about. I asked him if he'd heard anything they'd said and he showed me a handful of chicken scrawls on a notebook.

He expected me to believe that. And he didn't care if I didn't. A Master of the Universe....

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001 View Post
    I was at a meeting once of residents at an apartment complex that would end up next to a huge parking ramp the ECHDC wanted to build. The residents had complained, protested, forever. This meeting, it was clear to me, was window dressing. How do I know? I sitting next to Jordan Levy, the chairman, and he spent the entire time on his Blackberry...paid no attention to what the people were talking about. I asked him if he'd heard anything they'd said and he showed me a handful of chicken scrawls on a notebook.
    That 'apartment complex' is Marine Drive...which is a SUBSIDIZED HOUSING PROJECT. If the folks there do not like development, tell them to move their asses somewhere else.

You talk about arrogance...I think you are ignorant. But then again..what can we expect from a housewife to a UB teacher... The concepts of the real world are lost on people like you.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    That 'apartment complex' is Marine Drive...which is a SUBSIDIZED HOUSING PROJECT. If the folks there do not like development, tell them to move their asses somewhere else.

You talk about arrogance...I think you are ignorant. But then again..what can we expect from a housewife to a UB teacher... The concepts of the real world are lost on people like you.
    A personal attack. Of course. For the record, I'm not a housewife. I spend a whole lot of time in the real world -- actually, a whole more than you do if you really have left WNY. But I'm wondering about the hostility toward subsidized housing. It's a lovely, well kept complex.

You remind me of why I don't post here much anymore. Personal attacks are just are too useless. You do dishonor to this site.

A personal attack. Of course. For the record, I'm not a housewife. I spend a whole lot of time in the real world -- actually, a whole more than you do if you really have left WNY. But I'm wondering about the hostility toward subsidized housing. It's a lovely, well kept complex.

You remind me of why I don't post here much anymore. Personal attacks are just are too useless. You do dishonor to this site.

It is not a personal attack. It was not done in person. You are just words on a message board.

Yes, it is a well kept housing complex. It is a well kept URBAN SUBSIDIZED housing complex next door to $300M in public investment. These folks get a nice home for dirt cheap and some can afford housing on their own. They should be thankful for what they have and they have no right to bitch about a parking deck going over their parking lot.

Once again...URBAN WATERFRONT DEVELOPMENT. The idea is to get the most stuff in the smallest amt of space. Marine Drive is a wasteful in its use of space.

yea he is one of the worst condescending offenders and is in the " everyone is stupid if they dont think like me club" on this Forum. There are a few more.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew.Ricchiazzi View Post

Buffalo Fire Department?
    Buffalo Public Schools

theCityPolitic.com
    I'm not a Buffalo resident, but I know first hand that in 2004-2005 BERC did not pay its' bills to small businesses.

the IRS
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

You missed a few groups!

Buffalo Fire Department?
    Buffalo Public Schools

You missed a few groups! If I may be so bold as to add a few. You did say Western New York - and not just Buffalo.

My winner for worst managed agency in Western New York is the ECIDA. They are too busy poaching businesses from other parts of Erie County to actually grow new jobs.

My runner up is the Erie County Executive. I challenge anyone to post one significant thing this guy has done in office - except spend money on Six Sigma. I really want to see some type of report on Six Sigma. What did we get for all that money and time?
    Even as a great rock is not shaken by the wind, the wise man is not shaken by praise or by blame.

Thread Information