Thread: Rock concert at the Lancaster band shell, yea or nay-

Rock concert at the Lancaster band shell, yea or nay-

Sandi Robinson, a member of the Lancaster-Depew Substance Abuse Prevention Coalition, addressed the Town Board at their work session to promote the idea of having the high school battle of the band contest winner perform one night at the new Lancaster band shell. The band would be scheduled to be play for one hour in the month of August.

More...

This issue doesn't concern me but I would like to throw in two cents.

A battle of the bands is a great way to keep kids out of trouble. All the people I knew that did stuff like that when I was in High School spent most of their free time practicing not partying.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Yes

The only thing standing in the way of our youth is the fears of our Town Supervisor. His need to punish the sons, for what he perceives as actions of their parents.

Yes, let them have there day!

Buffalo has learned to embraces the Goo Goo Dolls. Its a group from Buffalo that made it big. Now they boost Buffalo every chance they get. Buffalo benefits from their fame.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

I hear they had "The Wife Beaters" booked, but then cancelled them in favor of "The IOD's".

Yea! That's my vote and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    The only thing standing in the way of our youth is the fears of our Town Supervisor. His need to punish the sons, for what he perceives as actions of their parents.

Yes, let them have there day!

Buffalo has learned to embraces the Goo Goo Dolls. Its a group from Buffalo that made it big. Now they boost Buffalo every chance they get. Buffalo benefits from their fame.
    Nobody should embrace the Goo Goo dolls because their music sucks!

Sorry it had to be said. They play generic sh** rock. There are and have been some excellent local bands in Buffalo though.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    Nobody should embrace the Goo Goo dolls because their music sucks!

Sorry it had to be said. They play generic sh** rock. There are and have been some excellent local bands in Buffalo though.
    I pretty much agree with your assessment, and will add 10,000 Maniacs to that list. But Rob has established Music is Art here, and they do a LOT to help the younger crowd. Google them. Another one that makes me gag is Ani DiFranco, but she bought that church on Delaware Ave. and is trying to bring business to the city. Hate their music, but support their effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Effigy View Post
    I pretty much agree with your assessment, and will add 10,000 Maniacs to that list. But Rob has established Music is Art here, and they do a LOT to help the younger crowd. Google them. Another one that makes me gag is Ani DiFranco, but she bought that church on Delaware Ave. and is trying to bring business to the city. Hate their music, but support their effort.
    I actually agree with you Ani's music is terrible but her and Rob Goo have done a lot for the community and I will give them that credit.

10,000 maniacs sooo does suck though but they are jamestown and we don't have to claim them.

Moe. is another band that has buffalo ties that made it big. They were students at one of the schools here, I think most are from the Syracus though. I never cared for Moe., they don't suck but I just don't think they are that good either. I have seen them a number of times, as has anyone else in Buffalo around my age. All my friends like them.

A short article in today's Bee indicates the concert will be allowed. However, it won't be in the band shell or one of the parks. The Village is going to allow the show to go on in downtown Lancaster.

Quote Originally Posted by gshowell View Post
    A short article in today's Bee indicates the concert will be allowed. However, it won't be in the band shell or one of the parks. The Village is going to allow the show to go on in downtown Lancaster.
    Surprise, surprise! Chalk one up for the village people.

"Anne Monin, coordinator of the Lancaster Family Support Center and a member of the coalition, (and a wonderfully caring individual) said that the group wants to provide youths with an opportunity to participate in activities that promote ways to have fun that do not include drugs or alcohol.

"The purpose of the coalition is to give kids an opportunity to participate so they don't have the downtime to get into trouble," she said."

I often walk my doggies downtown. There's kids who hang out down there. Generally, they are good, friendly kids who are just hanging out because that's what kids do. (I did it when I was a kid.)

It will be nice to give these kids something to do.

I'd like to see more of this type of activity. Who knows, it may actually bring more people downtown. And more people may spend more money. Which may create a demand for more businesses downtown.

How about street vendors, street musicians, etc.

I've always liked some of the legally allowed murals painted on the sides of some of the buildings in Buffalo and other cities. (Not the tagging, etc., so don't go there)

What about having some of the kids paint murals on the parking lot sides of some of the buildings downtown?

With a little creativity, we can find more for these kids and keep them occupied.

Originally posted by gshowell:
    I've always liked some of the legally allowed murals painted on the sides of some of the buildings in Buffalo and other cities. (Not the tagging, etc., so don't go there)
    Speaking of murals. Did you see the nice murals that were put up in the D&L Tops depicting Lancaster/Depew historical buildings? Very nice touch.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Speaking of murals. Did you see the nice murals that were put up in the D&L Tops depicting Lancaster/Depew historical buildings? Very nice touch.
    No I missed that. I'm going to look for them now, take some pictures, and post them. Thanks Gorga.

Thread Information