Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rodent-resistant garbage totes to be rolled out

Rodent-resistant garbage totes to be rolled out

If all goes as scheduled, Amherst residents will begin receiving their new garbage totes as early as Wednesday, Charles Moses, the town’s acting senior refuse control officer, said Friday.

Deliveries of the two-wheel, covered garbage containers will begin in rural north Amherst and move southward throughout May. Town officials hope to hand out all 34,000 of the totes by Memorial Day, Moses said.
    Amherst bought the totes, or rollout carts, with the proceeds of a $1.7 million bond in hopes of controlling a growing rat menace, especially along the town’s borders with Cheektowaga and Buffalo.

Buffalo saw a drastic reduction in rodent complaints after distributing the totes in 2001.

But then the rats apparently followed the food source to the suburbs, where garbage was still in plastic bags. Initially, residents will receive a single, 95-gallon tote per household. Once the first round of deliveries is completed, residents can request smaller, 65-gallon versions of the wheeled carts — or they may order a second large tote for $50, Moses said.

The town’s $212 annual garbageremoval fee will not be affected, Moses said.

http://www.buffalonews.com/104/story/60124.html
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

I don't know who the acting director is or what his background/experience is, but I would think that one would want to begin the program where the biggest problem/nuisance is to get the biggest and quickest result.

Is there a bigger rat issue in the northern parts of town. I've always heard that for the most part the biggest issues are south of Sheridan Drive.

Common sense?

from experience I know that there is a big problem in Eggertsville & Snyder

I was actually going to buy a couple of these cool Savannah cats and breed them...figured they'd sell, my Siamese got her a$$ kicked while battleling a gang of rats. She took out three, but got bit and infected, cost me over $200 at the vet.

Quote Originally Posted by buffy
    from experience I know that there is a big problem in Eggertsville & Snyder...
    That's why I woulde think that the toters would be sent o those areas first. Why start them where the problem isn't as bad? It just does not make good sense.

I say, start in the Amherst first ring villages - Eggerstville & Snyder and keep driving the rats North, but, who's going to tell Williamsville?

they are already in williamsville

Quote Originally Posted by |- Amherst Stakeholder -|
    That's why I woulde think that the toters would be sent o those areas first. Why start them where the problem isn't as bad? It just does not make good sense.

Why not start where the problem MIGHT not be as bad to ensure when the rats start to move they have no food source. Besides if one lives on the Northside of the town they wouldn't want EGGERTSVILLE rats; it would ruin the neighborhood. The Eggersville rats would have to move to Clarence.
    You can observe alot just by watching.
    Yogi Berra, Berra's Law

Quote Originally Posted by The Constable
    Why not start where the problem MIGHT not be as bad to ensure when the rats start to move they have no food source. Besides if one lives on the Northside of the town they wouldn't want EGGERTSVILLE rats; it would ruin the neighborhood. The Eggersville rats would have to move to Clarence.

The LAST thing we want is Eggertsville rats!! We have enough with the Wards!

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf
    The LAST thing we want is Eggertsville rats!! We have enough with the Wards!
    You got that right! Heheheheheh

Town Hall Tote

WHERE we really should place a tote is in front of the AMHERST TOWN HALL, perhaps it'll deter some Town Board members from showing up

I know the harlem sheridan area is experiencing a significant problem...that'd be kind of a cool thing to setup, some sort of map where web users could place a virtual pushpin where there are rat problems.

Regards.

Speaking of Harlem Rd, I almost hit a rat that was taking its sweet time crossing the street between Cleveland and Kensington.

Speaking of Harlem Rd, I almost hit a rat that was taking its sweet time crossing the street between Cleveland and Kensington.
    Was it in front of Bings hollering "On the Question"?

my Siamese got her a$$ kicked while battleling a gang of rats. She took out three, but got bit and infected
    What is she, Jack Bauer?

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf
    Was it in front of Bings hollering "On the Question"?
    LMAO

Just got back from the winter retreat and that is the funniest post I've read so far!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information