Thread: Expanding Recycling

Unregistered

Expanding Recycling

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm sick and tired of neandethrels disposing of their drink bottles on my lawn. I'm all for this legislation.

New Yorkers for Real Recycling Reform
    Clean and simple

Some people in Albany want to expand the current bottle deposit law to include virtually every item in the beverage aisle - bottled waters, juices, iced teas, sports drinks and more. But the so-called "Bigger Better Bottle Bill" isn't any better. In fact, it could make things worse. It will simply become more difficult to recycle. And in the end, all you'll be left with is higher prices.

The Real Recycling Reform Coalition has a better solution. A more effective way to increase recycling is to invest in successful curbside or municipal programs. Most New Yorkers already recycle at the curb, at their municipal waste station or in their buildings. And if the programs were more available (at public places such as beaches or parks) recycling rates would climb even higher.

Send an email to your legislator and tell him or her that you support Real Recycling Reform in New York State and not the inconvenient, hidden bottle tax.

Source: http://www.realrecyclingreform.com/

This law was a great idea that was poorly executed, like the stupid 'headlights on if your wipers are on' law. This change is long overdue, IMO.
    "At a minimum, a head of state should have a head."- Vladimir Putin

I think this law is ridiculous. Just what I need is to have to save every freakin bottle or can so I can bring it back to the store. It's bad enough having to wait to use those machines that you plop your cans and bottles into, with this law the wait will be even longer. People will be driving up with the back of their SUVs and vans loaded to the hilt with the stuff. And what about the places that you go to, like grocery stores. Where are they going to put all this crap?! I already put those water bottles and what-not into the recycle bin -where they belong! This law is going to cost me more (deposits on additional items)and waste my time.
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm sick and tired of neandethrels disposing of their drink bottles on my lawn. I'm all for this legislation.

I second the motion. It is amazing how many cans or water bottles end up on the street side part of the sidewalk. Cigarette butts..... I believe late at night a bunch of vehicles meet up, park on the street and smoke away then the people discard their butts all over the lawn when finished and drive away.

I whish I had a remote controlled water cannon. Have a video camera on the outside and have it display on the lap top screen. When someone does their dirty deed on the lawn blast em with a powerful stream of water.

I need to hook up with WET designs, that company knows all about water affects and they have some impressive water cannons. All you need is compressed aair and a water supply.
    I could just imagine the conversation play out after the incident:

Poor Sole: Hey man you just shot me with a blast of water….
    Me: Yea, so

Poor Sole: you cannot do that.
    Me: I did would you like me to do it again.
    Poor Sole: I am calling the cops.

Me: Go right ahead here use my cell phone. Would you also like
    to make you 8x10’s of you dumping your trash on the
    lawn??

Poor Sole: That does not give you the right to blast me with water.

Me: I would like to hear you use that argument in front of a
    judge.
    Lets see who will win with the evidence I have.

Poor Sole:
    [speechless]

Me: Pick up your trash, get lost, don’t come on this street
    again or I will introduce you to my BIGGER model water
    cannon.

Poor Sole:
    Gets in vehicle with the trash and burns rubber down the
    street.

[/quote]
    New Yorkers for Real Recycling Reform
    Clean and simple

Some people in Albany want to expand the current bottle deposit law to include virtually every item in the beverage aisle - bottled waters, juices, iced teas, sports drinks and more. But the so-called "Bigger Better Bottle Bill" isn't any better. In fact, it could make things worse. It will simply become more difficult to recycle. And in the end, all you'll be left with is higher prices. [/quote]

People need to recycle more and it is ashame that most people cannot do it on their own without having a law past to do it.

There is only so much resources on this planet and people cannot be irresponsible like they have been in the past. fifty or one hundred years from now there will be problems.

The Real Recycling Reform Coalition has a better solution. A more effective way to increase recycling is to invest in successful curbside or municipal programs. Most New Yorkers already recycle at the curb, at their municipal waste station or in their buildings. And if the programs were more available (at public places such as beaches or parks) recycling rates would climb even higher.

Send an email to your legislator and tell him or her that you support Real Recycling Reform in New York State and not the inconvenient, hidden bottle tax.

Source: http://www.realrecyclingreform.com/
    The other day As was driving I noticed there are not a lot of trees for the amount of open space. People shoudl plant more trees and all business should be required to plant frontage trees.

Trees are ggod in many ways. THey help water drainage, provide haven for birds, help clean the air, and provide soem sound barrier in the summer just to name a few benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by colossus27
    This law was a great idea that was poorly executed, like the stupid 'headlights on if your wipers are on' law. This change is long overdue, IMO.

It was done so people and or other vehicles coudl notice an on coming vehicle.

A simple relay tied into the windshield washer switch that allows the head lamp circuit to be energized solves the problem.

Or better yet, new cars have running lights on them and of course the automatic headlamp setinel....

I view this one much more important then the Seat Belt law or the joke cell phone law.

Quote Originally Posted by OneEmerald
    I think this law is ridiculous. Just what I need is to have to save every freakin bottle or can so I can bring it back to the store.

It's bad enough having to wait to use those machines that you plop your cans and bottles into, with this law the wait will be even longer. People will be driving up with the back of their SUVs and vans loaded to the hilt with the stuff. And what about the places that you go to, like grocery stores. Where are they going to put all this crap?! I already put those water bottles and what-not into the recycle bin -where they belong! This law is going to cost me more (deposits on additional items)and waste my time.

Waste not want not..... It takes five minutes to get in your car one summer's night late at night. Drive to the store and put the bottles in the machines.... Don't attempt to set the guiness world record of having stored the most used containers. One week glass, the next week plastic. Is it really that difficult. Naw, I did not think so either.

Plain and simple people need to stop wasting so much stuff by tossing it in the trash....

I wrote to Wegmans about an idea on having people bring their shopping bags in at the store for reuse. Why not??? They are clean, deduct .05 cents off the bill per grocery bag you reuse.

It is STUPID to go to a store have them use a paper bag to contain items you buy only for you to later discard the perfectly good bag. Some you do use for garbage or other items but for the most part what do you do with the grocery bags, you put them in the recycle bin or toss them out.. That is not very "green" in my book.....

And the idiot who came up with the plastic grocery bags with the little handles so people will not over exert themselves while carrying in the groceries should be hanged by a noose made up of, what else, the plastic grocery bags. Those bags are not biodegradable

Quote Originally Posted by concernedwnyer

It was done so people and or other vehicles coudl notice an on coming vehicle.

A simple relay tied into the windshield washer switch that allows the head lamp circuit to be energized solves the problem.

Or better yet, new cars have running lights on them and of course the automatic headlamp setinel....

I view this one much more important then the Seat Belt law or the joke cell phone law.
    My point exactly. This relay of which you speak does not exist, at least not in new VWs, Chevys, or Hondas. And BTW, I use rain-x so my wipers are rarely on in during rain. If the law simply said "during snow or rain, turn on your lights" which leaves a lot less wiggle space. Not that this one is enforced enough anyway.

Waste not want not..... It takes five minutes to get in your car one summer's night late at night. Drive to the store and put the bottles in the machines.... Don't attempt to set the guiness world record of having stored the most used containers. One week glass, the next week plastic. Is it really that difficult. Naw, I did not think so either.

So, I should wait for summer, drive more than 5 minutes in the dead of night and put my bottles in the machine. No way! I'm not making an extra trip to do that.

The key is RECYCLE! Use that little blue box. It gets taken away weekly.

Sorry you and Surfin are cleaning up after others, but I have the same problem too. You think that just because there is a deposit on that container they are not going to throw it there for you to clean up?
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

I wrote to Wegmans about an idea on having people bring their shopping bags in at the store for reuse. Why not??? They are clean, deduct .05 cents off the bill per grocery bag you reuse.

It is STUPID to go to a store have them use a paper bag to contain items you buy only for you to later discard the perfectly good bag. Some you do use for garbage or other items but for the most part what do you do with the grocery bags, you put them in the recycle bin or toss them out.. That is not very "green" in my book.....

And the idiot who came up with the plastic grocery bags with the little handles so people will not over exert themselves while carrying in the groceries should be hanged by a noose made up of, what else, the plastic grocery bags. Those bags are not biodegradable

Wegman's now has black tote bags you can buy and reuse for $.99 each. I plan to get some today.

I ask for paper in plastic, packed full. They use 2 bags as opposed to 7 or 8 of those stupid plastic bags. And, I do reuse my bags, mostly for trash.
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

You think that just because there is a deposit on that container they are not going to throw it there for you to clean up?
    Anecdote, sure, but I rarely find discarded bottles that have a deposit.

Unregistered
    The key is RECYCLE! Use that little blue box. It gets taken away weekly.
    We know what "the key" is supposed to be, but obviously it's not working out that way. If it was, this new legislation idea wouldn't be on the table.

Sorry you and Surfin are cleaning up after others, but I have the same problem too. You think that just because there is a deposit on that container they are not going to throw it there for you to clean up?
    First of all, apology accepted. Second; I do believe it would stop a higher percentage of the offenders, especially if they're the ones that paid the deposit. The reason I say this, is because it the majority of the offenders appear to be mostly teens. I can assure you that when I was that age, bottle returns were a source of fuel for me to go out "cruising" all that much longer.

Unfortunately it won't stop everyone from disposing their bottles on peoples lawns, but it'll definitely have a noticeable impact on the problem at hand. I don't know if you're old enough to remember how things were prior to the current bottle deposit law, but the problem was almost identical to what's happening now. Beer and soda cans/bottles were all over the place. At least now, if people do throw their cans/bottles on the ground, there's always someone that's glad to pick them up and return them for the deposit money.

The bottom line, is that when anything with a deposit is discarded, there's always someone close behind that's glad to scoop what the litterbug considers trash.

Thread Information