Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eliminate Lifetime Health Insurance for the Board Members!!!

Eliminate Lifetime Health Insurance for the Board Members!!!

If the Town Board members want to do something to save the taxpayers money why not begin with getting rid of their lifetime health insurance that they get? Let's see if they REALLY want to save us money or if they really care more about what they get FROM us!!!

Who exactly gets lifetime health benefits? Please don't tell me that Schratz does!!!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    No way....

No town board member of any town should get lifetime health care for being a board member. The turn over can be too high and there's no reason to give anyone that much compensation for being on a town board.

So what was the person who first brought that up for consideration? A lifer politician? or someone that was a board member for one term?...Would something like that have to go up to resolution and then be voted on.

The Citizens CAN place a referendum on the ballot to have the Lifetime Benefits revoked. If the majority of the towns folk oppose these grandiose benefits plans, there is little the governence officials can do about it. Let's see if anyone does anything about it...

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Is this the same for all towns? Lancaster, cheektowaga or any town who's board would vote themselves things like this?

At least 10 years ago, lifetime healthcare benefits were eliminated for Town Board members. It was decided since they were part-time employees, and other part-time employees did not get thuis benefit, they should not, either. Far be it from me to defend Town Board members but in this case, they are not getting a freebee.

Satish, on the other hand, WILL BE ELIGIBLE!! Susan Grelick was not because she was not old enough to "retire" when she left the Board.

Quote Originally Posted by left wing
    At least 10 years ago, lifetime healthcare benefits were eliminated for Town Board members. It was decided since they were part-time employees, and other part-time employees did not get thuis benefit, they should not, either. Far be it from me to defend Town Board members but in this case, they are not getting a freebee.

Satish, on the other hand, WILL BE ELIGIBLE!! Susan Grelick was not because she was not old enough to "retire" when she left the Board.
    I don't understand why Mohan is elegible. Doesn't he get his retirement from the State? Who IS elegible?

Unregistered
    Bill Kindel gets lifetime health benefits because he served as Town Clerk for 15months, was 55 yrs. old when he retired and was vested in the retirement system. Lynn Millane gets them because she retired from the position of Town Supervisor when she was over 55 yrs. old and was vested in the retirement system. Bob Anderson and Susan Jaros are eligible, so is Satish Mohan.

Susan Grelick was not eligible because she was not old enough when she retired although she was vested in the retirement system.

The rule regarding elected officials is as follows:

Town Supervisor, Town Clerk and Town Highway Superintendent are eligible for lifetime health benefits if they are of retirement age when they retire (55 years old) and are vested in the retirement system.

I think the rule may also apply to exempt full-time officials.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Bill Kindel gets lifetime health benefits because he served as Town Clerk for 15months,
    You mean all I would have to do is work for a local government for 15 months and earn life time health coverage?

I think i'm in the wrong line of work.

Unregistered

I agree with that...no health insurance except during their employment

I agree with that...no health insurance except during their employment

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    You mean all I would have to do is work for a local government for 15 months and earn life time health coverage?

I think i'm in the wrong line of work.
    You'd also have to be 55 yrs old and vested in the retirement system when you retired from either Town Supervisor, Clerk or Highway Superintendent. (You would have to be appointed or elected to one of the positions)

Anyone know how it works for elected State and Federal representatives?

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf
    I don't understand why Mohan is elegible. Doesn't he get his retirement from the State? Who IS elegible?
    Gan,
    Age is the key to a Town Board members eligiblilty for "Lifetime Health Insurance." Now as far as Mohan goes regarding his state position, If he retired from the state, he would be eligible for Health Insurance, but he would being paying a % of the premium. I believe it is 25%. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. Here he gets it for free for life. I'm not sure about his spouse, should he pass away before she does. With the State, it continues for the spouse.
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit Of All That Threaten It
    What if the Hokey-Pokey IS what it's all about?

Unregistered
    For the Town of Amherst it also covers the spouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sleuth
    For the Town of Amherst it also covers the spouse.

Even after the employee passes away?

Quote Originally Posted by left wing
    Even after the employee passes away?
    I thought that that's the way it was, but I wasn't sure.
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit Of All That Threaten It
    What if the Hokey-Pokey IS what it's all about?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information