Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Geneology in WNY

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37 View Post
    When I made my last post on my topic need for a WNYEC Genealogy group my reason was for a physical group to meet with like minded people to help each others something like they have in Hamburg NY. Not just to use the online sites which Ancestry is too expensive for me and other family builders.
    Riven, there was a local site that had old death notices listed. I can't remember the link. I think originally I came across the link on one of the local rootsweb message boards. Do you happen to know what it is?

Georgia L Schlager

The only one I know is Jen's website http://www.buffalonydeaths.com/
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37 View Post
    The only one I know is Jen's website http://www.buffalonydeaths.com/
    That's it. Thank you so much, Riven

Georgia L Schlager

I see her often at the library she wont start up again (for research request etc..) until spring.
    Last edited by Riven37; January 29th, 2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Being old
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

I came accross this message board for those researching european ancestors: http://www.geneal-forum.com
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

I went on facebook and looked for people with my last name that lived in the UK took awhile but I found one who lived where my ancesters did who was looking up his family and he looked up mine for me
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Quote Originally Posted by granpabob View Post
    I went on facebook and looked for people with my last name that lived in the UK took awhile but I found one who lived where my ancesters did who was looking up his family and he looked up mine for me
    That's a great idea. Happy it worked for you

Georgia L Schlager

I had to drive to Philadelphia to look up two members of his family who had moved from the USA to England during the war of rebellion. Revolutionary war to us. I found out where they lived and when they came over here that gave him the town where they lived in England before and after coming here
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

I had to look up some people for him who moved back to England during the War of rebellion as he called it. His ancestors were forced out of their homes by Washington's army. I found them on old Philadelphia records and let him know where they had lived and when they came to the Colonies. the records even gave their English home town which let my friend trace the family a couple more generations. Best part was I found out more about the Revolutionary War.
    I have tried with some other names on my tree but so far no takers

Quote Originally Posted by granpabob View Post
    I had to look up some people for him who moved back to England during the War of rebellion as he called it. His ancestors were forced out of their homes by Washington's army. I found them on old Philadelphia records and let him know where they had lived and when they came to the Colonies. the records even gave their English home town which let my friend trace the family a couple more generations. Best part was I found out more about the Revolutionary War.
    I have tried with some other names on my tree but so far no takers
    That's very interesting, grandpabob. I don't ever remember learning that the English were forced out of their homes. History didn't interest me when I was in school. It does now.

Georgia L Schlager

Many Tory families fled to the English held Islands to the south or to Canada. Fort Niagara was a Gathering point for many trying to get farm land across the river in Canada. Those who could afford the passage back to England returned to their old home towns. American Patriots burned the homes and farms of those who supported the British Army. Historycan be fun if you look behind what the schools taught at what realy went on. Less the 1/3 of the people wanted thewar. most did not trust anyone in power and knew they had it better as things were then they ever had in the UK even then it was closer to 20% that openly backed the british. You would be surprised at the number who moved away from the coast to avoid all the trouble. They did not have to go far inland either. the wild west was 20 or 30 miles away the the Ocean

ANNOUNCEMENT: FamilySearch Forums Closing
    Riven37
    _________

Here's an article about Tom Trynisk, the man behind fultonhistory.com.
    His website has been invaluable to me in researching my family history.
    https://www.cjr.org/the_profile/tom-...tonhistory.php

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    That's very interesting, grandpabob. I don't ever remember learning that the English were forced out of their homes. History didn't interest me when I was in school. It does now.
    gorja, they were all English (except for Germans who fought for the Brits and French who fought with colonials but neither were “native”).

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    gorja, they were all English (except for Germans who fought for the Brits and French who fought with colonials but neither were “native”).
    Thanks Grump

Georgia L Schlager

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information