Opinions Vary on Erie County's Refugee Stance

Buffalo, NY (WBEN) - After it was determined that one of the Paris suicide bombers got into France posing as a Syrian refugee, Erie County legislator Joe Lorigo called on County Executive Mark Poloncarz to reverse his stance on bringing Syrian refugees to Erie County.

"Nobody is saying that the legitimate refugees shouldn't have a place to go," Lorigo told WBEN. "What I'm saying is that until we can have a better way to guarantee that we're doing everything we possibly can to ensure the safety of the residents of Erie County.

http://www.wben.com/Opinions-Vary-on...tance/22181683

Poloncarz said in his statement that the decision to allow refugees into the US is made by the federal government and the placement made by federal and state governments.

"Neither the County Executive nor any branch of Erie County government has any say in whether any refugee is resettled in our community, nor can we prevent a legal immigrant from being resettled here."
Doesn't mean the County Exec can not say "We just don't need to risk the safety of the residents of Erie County" including adding any more cost to county government.

Perhaps some of the welfare cost come from the federal level but the county employee salaries comes from property taxes in Erie County. Correct?

"The County doesn't have a say in this," said Legislator Patrick Burke. "We don't have a role in deciding whether refugees come here or not. Once their here, we have a role in facilitating and incorporating them in to our community. I saw (what Lorigo said) and am questioning why this is being taken up on such a local level."

Well we do have a say. Us property owners can vote out each legislator who supports importing 1000's of refugees into the county. I'm pretty sure county property taxes goes to support anyone on social services. There simply is no reason to add to that burden.

"To shut the door on these people doesn't seem like a very American thing to do," said Legislator Kevin Hardwick. "You're balancing your own security versus what you should do as an American. It's a difficult thing to balance."
I think it's far more "Un-american" not to support current American citizens in need before adding more people from different countries.

It's not hard to balance at all.