Today was garbage day in my neighborhood. It's obvious that someone put a paint can in a garbage can and whether the garbage men knew it or not it was dumped into a garbage truck and a puddle of it remained on the street that they would have obviously noticed when it happened. My husband drove through it and now our car has paint on it.

Will the city hold any liability in this? I called Department of Public Works and while they did send someone to clean up the mess promptly, when I mentioned the damage to my car I was treated with a completely rude response. I know we have some responsibility for driving over the paint but a little courtesy from a city employee would go a long way. Now I'm irritated. I took pictures of the mess, I took pictures of the offending home and their garbage can. If the paint doesn't scrape from the car I fully intend on going after the person's homeowners. However, if the paint spill would have been reported immediately, instead of after I noticed it, there wouldn't be damaged vehicles involved (at least two other cars drove into the paint).