Quote Originally Posted by andreahaxton View Post
I thank you for believing in me. I do possess the same ideals that you do regarding your civic duty/solitary concern has always been to "make the district better"......I too started out sweeping up our playground and begging for new equipment ........

I apologize to you jenrose if you think I mocked you or tried to "bash you" in any way......NOT at all by any means!
My point was that the party is in control of City Hall and they want their candidate in.....so.....hence, attention'! They know YOU influence votes and want to keep you going with THEIR flow! It is all about PARTY politics.......not you.

Talk to me next year, and the next, and the next........Sadly, I have heard it time and time again from folks that they used election year.
Of course the dog-catcher and police should have addressed that dog thing immediately......WHAT happens to the poor citizens needs/issues that are not connected? So many tried to get their issues addressed over the years that fell on deaf ears after the elections that they just gave up trying to make their streets safer, nicer, etc.. Many just moved and the core of stake-holders (home owners) are no more.
I am not trying to change your views....this is a political forum to discuss issues.

You have keen insight.......but just beware of being bamboozled. It hurts!
Maybe if there were about 5000 of us we could take the City over for the good of ALL.......NOT the some!
Sorry, I should have been more specific, the mocking comments weren't directed at you...just in general, I was trying to point out that I actually had a positive experience and it seems impossible for most to just take that for what it is...and of course I find it frustrating that nothing was done with the numerous calls that I made on my own. I'm just as frustrated that the only improvement made to the Center St. playground was taking out one of the rotted wood boards and nothing else...sometimes change happens painfully slow...doesn't mean it won't happen though.

With that...since it's an election year and it's assumed that all candidates and some others may be listening and reading I have a whole list of easy things that can make the city nicer/run better.

1. Let the citizens take over the playgrounds. I'm not sure of the logistics of how it would work, but put someone in city hall in charge of getting a group of volunteers from every neighborhood. The city gives each playground a reasonable sum of money and the citizens do the work. There are many programs that give grant money, such as Kaboom...but the city has to be willing to let the citizens take over. We have the most stake in the area and if we are the ones keeping it nice it's a win/win situation. While some playgrounds need a complete overhaul, there are others that can be spruced up and made safe with some paint and a little bit of mulch.

2. Beautify city owned spaces. Knock down the houses that have been condemned for years and keep lots mowed. Around Ridge there has been a little bit done. It's not hard to do it around the rest of the city. Nothing fancy, just keep it clean. This will encourage homeowners to keep their property nice.

3. This brings me to my last point. In West Seneca they give their citizens free mulch/woodchips. You can bring your truck once a day and they fill it up for you to use with your landscaping. Lackawanna chips trees. I'd like to know what they do with the woodchips. Maybe they can give them away. Mulch is expensive and you need a lot of it to do any type of meaningful landscaping or flower beds.

There, I got us started. Who else wants to post their ideas?