Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: County Proposition 1 ??

County Proposition 1 ??

does any one know what this County Proposition 1 is all about ???
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37
    does any one know what this County Proposition 1 is all about ???
    Check these out...

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...03/2007967.asp

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...03/3007967.asp

I found this too..

SECTION 1: Contains a statement of legislative intent regarding the introduction of this local law.

SECTION 2: Contains language amending section 101 of the charter to add language relating to alternatives to mandates, encouraging coordination of planning and economic development and intergovernmental cooperation among the various levels of government in Erie County.

SECTION 3: Removes obsolete language regarding the number of districts in Erie County and inserts the current number.

SECTION 4: Amends Section 201 of charter and reflects the fact that there are currently 15 members of the Erie County Legislature.

SECTION 5: An addition to Section 202 of the charter and authorizes the legislature to confirm certain appointments made by the County Executive.

SECTION 6: An addition to section 202 of the charter and requires the Legislature to appoint one of its members as an open meeting advisor to advise the body on compliance with open meetings and freedom of information laws.

SECTION 7: An addition to section 204 of the charter requiring the legislature to hold a public hearing prior to consideration by the full body of local laws.

SECTION 8: A change to section 211 of the charter deleting a reference to ECMC and the home and infirmary and including a reference to ECC (this relates to selection of independent auditor for county).

SECTION 9: A change to section 307 clarifying that certain appointments made by the County Executive are subject to legislative approval and that holdover appointments are subject to reconfirmation by the legislature in a timely fashion.

SECTION 10: Amends sections 401 & 402 of the charter to abolish the Department of Finance and the commissioner and to create a Department of Real Property Tax Services headed by a director.

SECTION 11: Contains a change to section 505 of the charter specifically authorizing the Commissioner of Health to appoint the Director of the county laboratory and not the County Executive.

SECTION 12: Contains language creating a Department of Labor Relations which will be headed by a Commissioner appointed by the County executive subject to the Legislature’s confirmation.

SECTION 13: Contains language amending Article VII of the charter by adding forestry to the title of the department and eliminating certain obsolete language.

SECTION 14: Contains a change to section 1002 of the charter eliminating a reference to ECMC and the home and infirmary.

SECTION 15: Contains language adding a new section to Article XI of the charter relating to the Division of Youth Services. This change is accomplished by deleting reference to “Youth Detention” from section 1606 of the charter (see section 21 of this local law below).

SECTION 16: Eliminates language relating to the Office of the Disabled and transfers certain of its provisions to a new article relating to the Office of Public Advocacy which will contain a Division for the Disabled.

SECTION 17: Contains language creating the new Office of Public Advocacy which will include the division of equal employment opportunity, the division on the status of women, the division of veterans services, the division for the disabled and the consumer protection committee.

SECTION 18: Contains language adding specific new responsibilities to the comptroller in section 1202 of the charter. The new responsibilities relate to the review of revenue projections, responsibility for revenue collection efforts of the county and responsibility for providing centralized accounting services to all county departments, offices and units.

SECTION 19: Eliminates section 1602 from the charter and language relating to ECMC is included in a new article entitled Autonomous Institutions (see section 30 of this local law below).

SECTION 20: Eliminates section 1603 of the charter and transfers the language relating to the county laboratory to Article V of the charter (see section 11 of the local law above).

SECTION 21: Eliminates reference to youth detention from section 1603 of the charter and also eliminates the division of probation from the Department of Probation (see section 15 of this local law above).

SECTION 22: Contains a technical update relating to section 1607 of the charter (updating the reference to ECC).
    SECTION 23: Contains language creating a new section 1607-a of the charter establishing uniform standards and requirements for all advisory groups unless they are established elsewhere in law.

SECTION 24: Eliminates section 1612 of the charter relating to libraries and moves the language to a new article entitled Autonomous Institutions (see section 30 of this local law below).

SECTION 25: Deletes section 1613 of the charter and language relating to ECC is set forth in a new article entitled Autonomous Institutions (see section 30 of this local law).

SECTION 26: Deletes Article XVI-B of the charter and certain provisions relating to the Erie County Consumer Protection Committee are transferred to a new article entitled Office of Public Advocacy (see section 17 of this local law above).

SECTION 27: Deletes Article XVI-C of the charter relating to the Erie County Citizens Committee on Rape and Sexual Assault.

SECTION 28: Deletes Article XVI-D of the charter relating to Art and Culture in Public Places Board.

SECTION 29: Deletes Article XVI-E of the charter and certain provisions relating to the Commission on the Status of Women are moved to a new article entitled the Office of Public Advocacy (see section 17 of this local law above).

SECTION 30: Amends the charter by adding a new article relating to autonomous institutions clarifying the status of three self-governing institutions; Erie Community College, Erie County Medical Center Corporation and the Buffalo and Erie County Public Library.

SECTION 31: Deletes Article XVII-A relating to the narcotics control board.

SECTION 32: Contains several substantial changes to Article XVIII relating to financial procedures. Among the changes are the inclusion of a statement of intent to insure that transparency, programmatic budgeting, quantification and cost accounting are included in the budget; clarification that the Legislature must vote on each individual item proposed in an amendment to the budget offered less than forty-eight hours prior to the annual budget meeting of the Legislature; a requirement that budget documents are made accessible to the public; authorization for the county executive to appropriate unanticipated revenues up to the amount available subject to legislative approval and a mechanism authorizing the comptroller to have a role in declaring the existence of a deficit. There are also several other changes which are critical to the county’s budget development process included in this section.

SECTION 33: Amends section 1907 of the charter and authorizes the establishment by the Legislature of a new charter revision commission by January 15, 2016 with its recommendations due by May 15, 2016.

SECTION 34: Authorizes that this local law be placed on the ballot.

SECTION 35: Contains an effective date for this local law after approval by the voters.

SECTION 36: Authorizes certain action by the clerk of the legislature and the county attorney after the approval of this local law by the voters.

SECTION 37: Contains a severability clause in the event any section or part of this local law is successfully challenged in court.

This is a great source - League of Women Voters has a Voter's Guide as well as the Proposition text:

http://www.lwvbn.org/

Hum

Thank you very much on your quickness to help inform me...some of these issues were brought up last year, but tabled by George Hoyt wern't they ???
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

“We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

This seems like a very important proposition to vote on tomorrow. I'm amazed now that it hasn't been discussed more in the local media.

What am i saying... I keep forgetting our local media is useless.

hehe

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles
    This seems like a very important proposition to vote on tomorrow. I'm amazed now that it hasn't been discussed more in the local media.

What am i saying... I keep forgetting our local media is useless.

you know why, because its what we want...term elections, recall...cut leg pay....why would Lynn want this options in the propersition hehee...it would hurt them....just vote NO...if it doesn't pass there back to last year fighting among themselves....Lynn M only wants Giambra's job that's her hinden agenda....Vote NO onm properstion 1
    Riven37
    _________

After reading Proposition 1, I feel as if I'm being scammed. Not matter what your views of politics, there is a point that you might like then there is one that goes against another view. I think that Proposition 1 should have been broken up into separate propositions. The whole thing is confusing!

Who wrote Proposition 1? I need to write an angry email!

Does anyone feel the way I do?

As I have said before, sure they could have gone further towards reform. However, voting no on this would not accomplish anything. One of the most important things in the amendment is that it mandates a charter review every 10 years. Without this we will have to wait until one of our legislators 1) introduces a resolution calling for one and 2) get enough votes to pass it and 3) the CE not vetoing or the Leg overriding the veto.

In other words dont cut off your nose to spite your face.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

I personally don't like the Deletion of "Erie County Citizens Committee on Rape and Sexual Assault"

How is that good?

Reform Measure On Erie County Ballot
    WGRZ - Stefan Mychajliw, Reporter

There were bitter budget battles back in 2005 over just how big Erie County’s deficit was.

"We're in the hole 106-million. This surprisingly huge deficit is the fault of the Giambra administration,” said then Comptroller Nancy Naples.

Erie County Executive Joel Giambra disputed that figure, and the two elected officials fought back and forth about the size and scope of how bad the budget crisis was.

"The Comptroller is flip flopping. Over the five years, the number is $130 million. But these are only 'guesstimates,’” said Giambra in March of 2005.

If “Proposition #1” passes on Tuesday, the days of “guesstimating” Erie County’s deficit will be over.

One of the 33 recommendations proposed within the Charter Review Commission’s reforms is to give the Erie County Comptroller the power to officially declare a deficit.

That way Legislators can work with a firm number, and immediately figure out a way to close that gap.

2 On Your Side’s Stefan Mychajliw: "Could this potentially end this type of gridlock?"

Charter Review Commission Chairman George K. Arthur: "Nancy Naples did not have the authority. She didn't have the power. What we've done here is give the County Comptroller some additional authority, similar to what the other municipalities have."

Some of the other reforms within “Proposition #1” include:

* Expanding the Comptroller’s power over the budget.
    * Giving the Comptroller power to control bank accounts and collect money owed to Erie County.
    * Forces the Legislature to hold public hearings before passing local laws.
    * Makes budget documents more accessible to the public

"This would be a major first step to going forward with further reforms. And it reforms County government, largely with fiscal stability measures," said Legislature Chairwoman Lynn Marinelli.

What's missing from proposition one? Key reforms like: recall of elected officials. Term limits. Cutting legislator's pay. Reducing the size of the legislature. And creating a County Manager.

Mychajliw: "Some could argue that there isn't a lot of meat, a lot of substance to this proposal. A lot of the big reforms aren't there. So why should it pass?”

Charter Review Commission Member Ed Rath: "Sometimes you have to take baby steps, to get the reform process rolling. And I think this starts the reform process rolling. There is much more to be done. But I think this is an important first step."

Mychajliw: "There's no recall of elected officials. No County Manager. No cutting of salaries. No cutting of legislators. Why should this pass?"

Marinelli: "It should pass because it does everything from the mundane, housekeeping, modernizing the language, to the serious, of giving the County Comptroller, enhanced powers and duties, so we don't have what we saw occur happen again with the budget crisis. It tightens the lug nuts on the checks and balances."

The 23-member Charter Review Commission spent eight months working on this process, and came up with 33 recommendations that will appear on the ballot Tuesday.

Those recommendations passed the Erie County Legislature 15-0, and were signed by Erie County Executive Joel Giambra.

Now it is up to the voters of Erie County whether or not this becomes reality.

Mychajliw: "What happens if this fails?"

Marinelli: “We're back to square one."

Rath: "We have to go back to the drawing board. "If it fails, I still think reform is not dead in Erie County. I think we need reform, and we would just have to go back to the drawing board."

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron O'Brian
    I personally don't like the Deletion of "Erie County Citizens Committee on Rape and Sexual Assault"

How is that good?
    This explains it: http://eriecharterreview.org/safety/full_report.pdf

Article XVI, section 1640 of the Charter created the Citizens’ Committee on Rape and Sexual Assault (CORSA). In May 2002, Crisis Services Advocate Program founded the Rape Crisis Advisory Committee, which consists of “the various community stakeholders whose mission is to develop a coordinated response to rape and sexual assault in Erie County” and the work of the now- dormant CORSA has now passed to the Rape Crisis Advisory Committee. We agree and share the conclusion and recommendation of the Committee on Human Services that the Charter need no longer provide for this inactive committee.

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren
    As I have said before, sure they could have gone further towards reform. However, voting no on this would not accomplish anything. One of the most important things in the amendment is that it mandates a charter review every 10 years. Without this we will have to wait until one of our legislators 1) introduces a resolution calling for one and 2) get enough votes to pass it and 3) the CE not vetoing or the Leg overriding the veto.

In other words dont cut off your nose to spite your face.
    Every ten years to review the charter..... Yea..... That should be doen annually once a year..... On going............

I could not do it!!!! I did not vote in favor of prop 1!!!! It is nothing more than an eight grade scribbling of crap. It does not go far enough and there is very little meat for all the substance. I would rathe rit not go through and have the hard control board kick some real ASSCI!

If you are going to do a job then do the job the right way all the way through.

I also could not believe all teh lines GAZBERROR was running under.......
    Man. One other name the rest was that doht! Help us all if he gets in. I could just oicture him tellin the rest of the senate to sit and shut up and listen to me....... He is a crook, a low life, and one that shoudl be exciled to a remote country with no close on.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by concernedwnyer
    If you are going to do a job then do the job the right way all the way through.
    OMG .. I can't believe those words came from your mouth.

Most of us worked hard on reviewing the county charter to come up with solutions .. while someone else quit without notice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information