Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MacKay retiring from LCSD Board of Education

MacKay retiring from LCSD Board of Education

http://www.lancasterbee.com/news/201..._from_LCS.html

A fitting tribute to retiring Board of Education member Marie MacKay – in my opinion.

This announcement should warm the cockles of the hearts of those with personal agendas who stood in opposition to Mrs. Mackay’s leadership and tutelage over the years that helped to bring significant changes and improvements to a school district who had one time was ranked 83rd by Business First and was ranked 9th this past year – and as high as 6th in the 2015-16 school years.

The minority faction on the current school board, and their supporters, will look at this open seat as an opportunity to bolster their numbers in the upcoming school board election; especially with two other school board seats up for election.

Should the minority become the majority it very likely will be the demise of Lancaster Central School District Superintendent Dr. Michael Vallely.

Yes, great article. Hopefully, there will be some GOOD candidates vying for her position. I see that group wanting Vallely's head already have a candidate.

Georgia L Schlager

i can't even imagine how many hours of service 15 years on that board adds up to. ms mackay is someone who cares very deeply about our schools and leaves very big shoes to fill. i, personally, am thankful for her service. it looks like an excellent candidate who fits the mold she is calling for in this article has already stepped up to volunteer.

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    i can't even imagine how many hours of service 15 years on that board adds up to. ms mackay is someone who cares very deeply about our schools and leaves very big shoes to fill. i, personally, am thankful for her service. it looks like an excellent candidate who fits the mold she is calling for in this article has already stepped up to volunteer.
    Oh, I really hope so

Georgia L Schlager

One candidate I've seen declared is Glenn Jackson. From what I read on Facebook he appears to be a pro administration candidate.

Who's the pro-Redskin candidate?

Quote Originally Posted by Neubs24 View Post
    One candidate I've seen declared is Glenn Jackson. From what I read on Facebook he appears to be a pro administration candidate.

I don't have a Facebook account but others have sent me Facebook postings that indicate it is Melissa Diaz-Studley.

I would hope that the Pro Redskin identity name would no longer be used as that issue should have been resolved by now and people should have moved on; although I think that pro administration and anti administration vernacular would be appropriate as the anti administration group has set one of its goals as getting rid of Superintendent Dr. Vallely should their selected candidates take two of the three seats up for election and become the school board majority.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    I don't have a Facebook account but others have sent me Facebook postings that indicate it is Melissa Diaz-Studley.

I would hope that the Pro Redskin identity name would no longer be used as that issue should have been resolved by now and people should have moved on; although I think that pro administration and anti administration vernacular would be appropriate as the anti administration group has set one of its goals as getting rid of Superintendent Dr. Vallely should their selected candidates take two of the three seats up for election and become the school board majority.
    She was in my graduating class. If she is running, she is on the pro-Redskin side.

Stop with this pro Redskins crap. That is over as many have stated time and again. It's about honesty, transparency, open communication, fiscal responsibility. Ask many who people lump as such

She was in my graduating class. If she is running, she is on the pro-Redskin side.
    Big time

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    Big time
    Instead of continuing to lump people have a conversation with the candidates then make a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancastermom View Post
    Stop with this pro Redskins crap. That is over as many have stated time and again. It's about honesty, transparency, open communication, fiscal responsibility. Ask many who people lump as such
    In today’s world of ‘fake news’, the hatred exhibited by those portending to be tolerant and inclusive, honesty, transparency, civility and open truthful communication are traits little practiced and/or to be anticipated anymore.

In last year’s Meet the Candidate night I asked the three losing candidates two questions that were relevant last year; on supporting the return of the Redskin name/mascot and the removal of Superintendent Dr. Mike Vallely should either of them win. They all hemmed and hawed and never gave a direct or honest answer.

There are two big agenda items that residents should concern themselves within the coming months: the budget and the use of reserves to balance the budget.

We have already seen posts that incorrectly stated that the tax levy was going up by 3.72%. That 3.72% number is what the district would be allowed to come in at to meet the state’s tax cap limit. If as in the past six years where the district appropriated between $7 million to $11 million in fund balance and unrestricted reserves to balance the budget and come in under the tax cap limit, the same will happen this year; and the tax cap levy should be nowhere near the max allowed if indeed there is $18 million in unrestricted reserves.

As to the amount in the reserves, I can’t imagine anyone throwing rocks when the use of large amounts of reserves got us through the 6 years where the district was shorted $25 million in state aid and some $90 million in foundation aid.

Lastly, if one is of the mind that the district has been run financially responsible (ranked 1st or 2nd in cost-efficiency in the last decade), has improved dramatically in student performance, provides a safe environment, etc., should any BOE incumbents decide to run and win, it is testimony that the district is in good shape, putting out a good product, and in good administrative hands.

He's got my vote

Georgia L Schlager

WILLIAMSVILLE, N.Y. (WIVB) – It’s that time of year again. New York’s exams for grades three through eight start at the end of this month. And for the fourth year some parent- led groups are boycotting the tests.

Parents say they’re still angry over the high-stakes nature of the exams and the common core standards they are based on. Despite changes last year, some parents say, it’s not enough.

Shirely Verrico from Williamsville has encouraged all three of her kids to boycott New York state testing. And this year, she’ll once again send a letter to their principal on their behalf. She said, “I saw a stress level enter the classroom and a language that I thought was very inappropriate. And I saw the way this testing culture and its punitive nature was spreading through my entire school even to very young children.”
    Each year, the boycott has grown, from 5 percent of eligible students to 21 percent in 2016. The parent groups sees these tests as privatizing public education and says students aren’t penalized.

Verrico said, “These tests are produced by a corporation that makes tons of money our districts are paying money for these tests.”
    The states education leaders hope tweaks and changes to the tests in the past two years will encourage more parents to have their students participate.

That includes shortening the tests, making the tests un-timed, unlinking the test results from teacher evaluations for at least four years, and adding more teacher input on the questions.
    But for some parents, those changes aren’t enough. Verrico said, “They’re meant to be looked at through big groups of data not in any kind of meaningful assessment of what a single student knows.”
    Eleven of the top 150 cities with the highest opt out rates were in Erie County towns. Meanwhile, Tuesday, education advocates will launch a new statewide “say yes to the test” campaign encouraging parents to opt in their kids, and emphasizing the importance of the tests for quality education.

For more information on the “opt-out” movement, visit the Western New Yorkers for Public Education website here.

****now you can take the advice of Lee Chowaniac or the advice of a Medialle professor .. Opt out ! In the world according to Gorja anyone who graduated from Lancaster prior to the Legends is a Racist. The Redskins clothing and articles sold at the Lancaster school store are racist , the Redskins clothing and articles sold at Rite aid in Lancaster are racist, and the money that the school store generated is blood money . The percentage back Rite Aid gave the high school on these items is blood money . Gorja the name has changed like Russ Salvatore said " forget the past ." The school name is Legends ,move on. ******

Originally posted by Greg Sojka:

****now you can take the advice of Lee Chowaniac or the advice of a Medialle professor .. Opt out ! In the world according to Gorja anyone who graduated from Lancaster prior to the Legends is a Racist. The Redskins clothing and articles sold at the Lancaster school store are racist , the Redskins clothing and articles sold at Rite aid in Lancaster are racist, and the money that the school store generated is blood money . The percentage back Rite Aid gave the high school on these items is blood money . Gorja the name has changed like Russ Salvatore said " forget the past ." The school name is Legends ,move on. ******
    Never in my lifetime did I say that all Lancaster graduates prior to the nickname change to Legends were racist.

One thing you said is very true, the school name is Legends move on. You and your school board candidate should follow your advice.

If you look at post #2 in this thread, I indicated that your candidate was an anti- Vallely candidate. I never mentioned Redskins. You're the one stuck on that term not me
    The election should be about education, school budget not school nicknames.

Georgia L Schlager

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information