Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: MacKay retiring from LCSD Board of Education

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Game, set, match!

When you know the cast of characters from attending school board meetings over a decade and have experienced firsthand the uncivil and unfounded allegations cast at district administrators and BOE members, hearing that we should attend a Tim Hortons to really get to know the Studley-Nargis tandem is pointless.

People can’t believe that I will not attend this year’s Roundtable event or the Meet the Candidates Night. I have had enough of the disingenuous, double-speak answers to questions asked of the anti-administration group.

These candidates bring up the Muslim faith issue most likely looking for tolerance and inclusion from the left. Yet this group’s supporters were less than tolerant to the plight of Native Americans and at one time shouting out Heil Hitler to a Jewish BOE member; as well as shouting out other obscenities to BOE members and their supporters and making unfounded and scurrilous allegations against the school superintendent.

The Studley-Nargis team chose to post on Speak Up. This is a wonderful vehicle for them to get their message out. If they think that some people are not going to ask hard questions they are mistaken. Perhaps that is why they choose to smooze at a Tim Hortons where they control the environment.

Lancaster Town Councilman Matt Walter used the Speak Up forum two years ago when he ran for office. He was very effective in getting his message out, won a board position and is doing a fine job – IMO! He answered the tough questions.
    I have watched the videos of Lancaster school board meetings and I have yet to see anything that corroborates your allegations surrounding the events. What I did see is a person by the name of greg addressing the board with a question only to have the school board essentially shut him down by saying that said question was not posed during the question and answer period. Now if said questions where offered during a time period of the meeting that was not question and or answer period that is one thing. That said much like the other unfounded allegations offered on this thread by what increasingly comes off as the “pro administration” crowd I have seen nothing to substantiate the allegations the pro administration camp are making.

In fact the only person that has brought up the name change regarding Lancaster school mascot are you and other pro administration individuals on this board. That said from my admittedly preliminary assessment of the issue regarding the changing of the Lancaster school board there exists numerous troubling observations regarding the pro administration push to change the Lancaster mascot. It seems to me that many of the current members of the school board bewilderingly thought it prudent to import a divisive topic that tragically defines national discourse and whose thematic elements center on “identity politics” to the local level (1). So much so that members of the current school board enacted a special hearing for that particular purpose (2). Moreover upon further review of the topic it also seems that current members of the school board thought it prudent to spend their constituent’s money to invite a violent felon from out of town to support their positon all the while denying the pro red skins faction out of town Native American speaker from attending the conference (3). Finally how much money was spent because of the current board members reckless attempt at identity politics? Could that money have been better spent ensuring that the students of Lancaster school district have the best education they need to be successful in an increasing competitive job market?

Such preliminary assessment leads me to believe that the current school board members do not place a high priority on student wellbeing and or communal harmony. In closing lee since you and other “pro establishment” individuals on this thread seem to be so intent on rehashing a divisive topic tragically imported to the local level by current members of the school board maybe you can assist me provide me with more information?

End Notes Cited Sources

1. The ‘Redskins’ are no more — at least in Lancaster, N.Y. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a1090019cb7f

2. “The Lancaster Central School Board called a special hearing on Monday night to discuss the issue.” https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a1090019cb7f

3. http://buffalonews.com/2015/03/02/pr...dskins-mascot/

Cincinatus;1712704]I have watched the videos of Lancaster school board meetings and I have yet to see anything that corroborates your allegations surrounding the events. What I did see is a person by the name of greg addressing the board with a question only to have the school board essentially shut him down by saying that said question was not posed during the question and answer period. Now if said questions where offered during a time period of the meeting that was not question and or answer period that is one thing. That said much like the other unfounded allegations offered on this thread by what increasingly comes off as the “pro administration” crowd I have seen nothing to substantiate the allegations the pro administration camp are making.

In fact the only person that has brought up the name change regarding Lancaster school mascot are you and other pro administration individuals on this board. That said from my admittedly preliminary assessment of the issue regarding the changing of the Lancaster school board there exists numerous troubling observations regarding the pro administration push to change the Lancaster mascot. It seems to me that many of the current members of the school board bewilderingly thought it prudent to import a divisive topic that tragically defines national discourse and whose thematic elements center on “identity politics” to the local level (1). So much so that members of the current school board enacted a special hearing for that particular purpose (2). Moreover upon further review of the topic it also seems that current members of the school board thought it prudent to spend their constituent’s money to invite a violent felon from out of town to support their positon all the while denying the pro red skins faction out of town Native American speaker from attending the conference (3). Finally how much money was spent because of the current board members reckless attempt at identity politics? Could that money have been better spent ensuring that the students of Lancaster school district have the best education they need to be successful in an increasing competitive job market?

Such preliminary assessment leads me to believe that the current school board members do not place a high priority on student wellbeing and or communal harmony. In closing lee since you and other “pro establishment” individuals on this thread seem to be so intent on rehashing a divisive topic tragically imported to the local level by current members of the school board maybe you can assist me provide me with more information?
    You telling someone who had personally attended BOE meetings religiously over the past ten years – with the exception of the last year because of the obnoxious and mean-spirited tenor that prevails at the meetings – that the videos you watched are more telling than personally being at the meetings is disingenuous.

Your posts include words and phrases like “sloppy thinking”, “weasel wording”, and “Moreover given the curt, rude and in many ways bizarre tonal nature that defines many of the comments on this thread I find your attempt at rationalization beyond intellectually dishonest.” You practice what you preach against. Your opinions are exactly that, your opinions and are equally as “toxic” to some bearing other opinions.

As to your last paragraph, today’s ‘Another Voice’ post in the Buffalo News encapsulates the thinking and reason why so many of my ilk have become recent ardent supporters of the Lancaster school administration, teachers and staff:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/12/an...holic-schools/

As a 16 year product of the Catholic school system I always valued the education I received. Yet back in the 70’s and 80’s when moving into LCSD I choose to send my children to this public school knowing it was younger but had potential. That did not preclude me from voting against numerous budgets over the years because I took issue with the spending taking place and with no tangible indication of educational improvement. That ended under the administration of then LCSD Superintendent Ed Myszka. The improvement continues under the tutelage of Dr. Valley - and past and current BOE members overseeing their administrations. The LCSD puts out a good product at a reasonable cost in today’s environment (IMO).

Others thinking else wise have at it. Please do not contrive issues that are not real or provide false narrative to people who have attended regular and budget meetings.

Speaking of open public budget meetings, have you attended any this year? Your crowd? Generally, less than a handful of residents attend these meetings. It was an opportunity to question the BOE on the “excessive reserves” not being spent and/or reasons why.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    You telling someone who had personally attended BOE meetings religiously over the past ten years – with the exception of the last year because of the obnoxious and mean-spirited tenor that prevails at the meetings – that the videos you watched are more telling than personally being at the meetings is disingenuous.

Your posts include words and phrases like “sloppy thinking”, “weasel wording”, and “Moreover given the curt, rude and in many ways bizarre tonal nature that defines many of the comments on this thread I find your attempt at rationalization beyond intellectually dishonest.” You practice what you preach against. Your opinions are exactly that, your opinions and are equally as “toxic” to some bearing other opinions.

As to your last paragraph, today’s ‘Another Voice’ post in the Buffalo News encapsulates the thinking and reason why so many of my ilk have become recent ardent supporters of the Lancaster school administration, teachers and staff:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/12/an...holic-schools/

As a 16 year product of the Catholic school system I always valued the education I received. Yet back in the 70’s and 80’s when moving into LCSD I choose to send my children to this public school knowing it was younger but had potential. That did not preclude me from voting against numerous budgets over the years because I took issue with the spending taking place and with no tangible indication of educational improvement. That ended under the administration of then LCSD Superintendent Ed Myszka. The improvement continues under the tutelage of Dr. Valley - and past and current BOE members overseeing their administrations. The LCSD puts out a good product at a reasonable cost in today’s environment (IMO).

Others thinking else wise have at it. Please do not contrive issues that are not real or provide false narrative to people who have attended regular and budget meetings.

Speaking of open public budget meetings, have you attended any this year? Your crowd? Generally, less than a handful of residents attend these meetings. It was an opportunity to question the BOE on the “excessive reserves” not being spent and/or reasons why.
    So other than “personal experience” which I cannot peer review you have nothing for me then lee? Furthermore please if you will specifically outline how the article you cited is in any way relevant to the comments you made and or the discussion being had. Go ahead lee I can wait while you do so. Finally I have not mentioned support for any particular candidate. Rather what I have done is respond to the toxic statement on this thread. Toxic statements posed by what comes off as those that are pro administration.

All these posts would really make one cautious about moving to Lancaster...

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    All these posts would really make one cautious about moving to Lancaster...

Indeed especially when one looks at how the current members of the school board mistreat constituents for asking questions regarding their policy or for holding a world view different then their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinatus View Post
    The reason that someone would invite a constituent to meet with a candidate for a public office is readily evident. I think a more interesting question is why are you so adamant to deny people from interacting with a candidate for public office? Maybe it is a character flaw you learned from watching how members of the current board mistreat the constituents they are elected to represent?
    Starting to catch up on the fiction Can you point out to me where I was "adamant to deny people from interacting with a candidate for public office"? I know of no reference that would suggest your "assumption" of a character flaw.

Quote Originally Posted by lord Geof View Post
    Who is Nate, and why are you inviting him to Tim Hortons? I am absolutely not a classmate, so drop the fishing expedition.

Oh, and by the way, where do Walden and Aurora intersect?
    Nate is Neubs24, most if not all know that. My apologies for typing the wrong location. Can't access past page one on my mobile and am not on my lap top often. Either way, you knew exactly where it was being held, it's been mentioned plenty of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Neubs24 View Post
    Curious as to how you know my name. I will not be there, I work second shift.
    Through friends We hold many of the same political beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Well, I believe in giving those the benefit of the doubt, but I know that what I had stated was factual-sorry Lancastermom. However, like the past, they are side-stepping their position(s). I don't go for that. For that is the reason I have changed my mind.
    I'm sorry to hear that shortstuff. I know these women well through local politics and do not for one second think that they are trying to bring a name back that would cost the taxpayers an insane amount of money, as it did when it was changed in 2014. You know these women, sometimes see them in public. Please speak with them. They do not speak with forked tongue, do not have canned responses as some have stated and are not telling people they're brining back a name that they don't wish to waste taxpayers money on. Their platform is more impressive and includes more than VOTEFOR3

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinatus View Post
    Indeed especially when one looks at how the current members of the school board mistreat constituents for asking questions regarding their policy or for holding a world view different then their own.
    Absolutely, That is evident at every meeting which is why I attended only one this year and that was this past Tuesday night and the next will be meet the candidates night in May. While not wanting to lower the tax increase even a little bit by tapping into one of five overextended reserves as our district and others were called out for having too many reserves, the president who is an incumbent running for re election and seconded by the other incumbent running for re election part of the VOTEFOR3 stated he will always approve of a tax increase. How does that sit with people? Hmmm. 2%, 6%, 3%, 1.5%, when does it end. Do I want to lose programs? No. Do I want to see board members attacked for standing up for the taxpayers and ganged up on like a fight in a school yard? No? Do I want to hear an outgoing 15 year board member raise her voice and get on her high horse like she knows better than anyone else and nobody else's opinion matters? No. She sure likes to put on a show just like a few October's ago when she said to opt out parents if you don't like it here you can move/leave. Nice, from a representative people put into office. The debacle was embarrassing and instead of talking about it they took offense to Kelly's legitimate question and all went into attack mode on her. Then they abruptly left to "meet" after the meeting where no meeting was scheduled I'm sure to rip her a new one. She did what was right by the taxpayers and I'm thankful for that. Just remember folks, the two incumbents are always for an increase. How does that sit for the seniors on a limited income who can't afford medication? People on a tight budget because of the cost of every day living? I do not think a responsible budget shouldn't be supported but I do think not only does the public need to speak nicely to the board and the board states they're not going to respond or answer questions but they should take a lesson from their own rules and treat other board members who were polite the same way

Quote Originally Posted by Lancastermom View Post
    ...would cost the taxpayers an insane amount of money, as it did when it was changed in 2014.
    From my understanding it didn't cost the taxpayers an insane amount of money when the name changed a few years back. The vast majority of jerseys and equipment already had the Redskin name removed and only had Lancaster on them. I think one of the only things that required changing was the paint in the gym.

it is a 1.15% increase. even less than last year's which passed overwhelmingly.

how in the world can you run on a platform of not cutting programs, not paying teachers less, but then claim that a 1% tax increase is unacceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by OutsidetheBox View Post
    From my understanding it didn't cost the taxpayers an insane amount of money when the name changed a few years back. The vast majority of jerseys and equipment already had the Redskin name removed and only had Lancaster on them. I think one of the only things that required changing was the paint in the gym.

i'll get the amount for you

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    it is a 1.15% increase. even less than last year's which passed overwhelmingly.

how in the world can you run on a platform of not cutting programs, not paying teachers less, but then claim that a 1% tax increase is unacceptable?

As you are more than aware it is more than that. It is the fact that the district refuses to tap into more reserves than they should have so maybe...here it is, this will blow you away, maybe just mabye the tax increase could be cut by .5 percent as an act of good faith to the taxpayers and have a 1% increase. That's what they're talking about. Makes a hell of a lot of sense to me.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information