Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MacKay retiring from LCSD Board of Education

Did everyone hear that the NY school district is dropping the teacher literacy test claiming it actually is racist towards specific groups? by Allison Hillman
    Educators quality is vital, evaluations of teacher candidates vary as we know from state to state. Florida, educators only need a Bachelors degree, NY requires a Masters degree. The question that is often asked is what happens if teachers don't pass the competency exams? Well it means that the applicant is not qualified right?

The teacher unions in NY has opposed standardized testing and performance monitoring of educators since it was introduced decades ago, according to the article. The Academic Skills Literacy Test (ASLT) is being challenged, education officials are poised to scrap a test designed to measure the reading/writing skills of people trying to become teachers, in part because an outsized percentage of black and Hispanic candidates were failing it. According to the article. So apparently, this is racist and discriminatory.

Bring this to the posts aforementioned here, if we are challenging Common Core, and expect the students to strive to be challenged and prepared for college, why are we expecting our educators to be less than qualified by not being challenged & tested based on discrimination?

So A teacher/mom wrote an eye opening letter for her resignation:
    Her letter spoke about her experience throughout the years as an educator and how things have changed. As a mom she felt compelled to do something. She explained that the strict standardization from the higher grades is making its way down to touch even preschoolers, she stated in her article. She continued to state that it has become almost entirely test-based learning. This forces teachers into narrower and narrower teaching plans. It is not conducive to productive learning. She continued to state in her letter that as the years went on she found that she was more and more disturbed by the misguided reforms taking place which are robbing her students of a developmentally appropriate education.

I will quote, "The disorder is in the system which requires them to attempt curriculum and demonstrate behaviors far beyond what is appropriate for their age. The disorder is in the system which bars teachers from differentiating instruction meaningfully, which threatens disciplinary action if they decide their students need a five minute break from a difficult concept, or to extend a lesson which is exceptionally engaging."

In summary, I find that both those candidates express interest in doing what is best for the students. I also see no indication that Melissa is going to use the Redskins as part of her platform so it is disingenuous to state otherwise unless she has put in print that she is. Let's give them all a chance to express what their platform is and give them a wait and see. For some of you to make assumptions, shame on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Sojka View Post
    WILLIAMSVILLE, N.Y. (WIVB) – It’s that time of year again. New York’s exams for grades three through eight start at the end of this month. And for the fourth year some parent- led groups are boycotting the tests.

Parents say they’re still angry over the high-stakes nature of the exams and the common core standards they are based on. Despite changes last year, some parents say, it’s not enough.

Shirely Verrico from Williamsville has encouraged all three of her kids to boycott New York state testing. And this year, she’ll once again send a letter to their principal on their behalf. She said, “I saw a stress level enter the classroom and a language that I thought was very inappropriate. And I saw the way this testing culture and its punitive nature was spreading through my entire school even to very young children.”
    Each year, the boycott has grown, from 5 percent of eligible students to 21 percent in 2016. The parent groups sees these tests as privatizing public education and says students aren’t penalized.

Verrico said, “These tests are produced by a corporation that makes tons of money our districts are paying money for these tests.”
    The states education leaders hope tweaks and changes to the tests in the past two years will encourage more parents to have their students participate.

That includes shortening the tests, making the tests un-timed, unlinking the test results from teacher evaluations for at least four years, and adding more teacher input on the questions.
    But for some parents, those changes aren’t enough. Verrico said, “They’re meant to be looked at through big groups of data not in any kind of meaningful assessment of what a single student knows.”
    Eleven of the top 150 cities with the highest opt out rates were in Erie County towns. Meanwhile, Tuesday, education advocates will launch a new statewide “say yes to the test” campaign encouraging parents to opt in their kids, and emphasizing the importance of the tests for quality education.

For more information on the “opt-out” movement, visit the Western New Yorkers for Public Education website here.

****now you can take the advice of Lee Chowaniac or the advice of a Medialle professor .. Opt out ! In the world according to Gorja anyone who graduated from Lancaster prior to the Legends is a Racist. The Redskins clothing and articles sold at the Lancaster school store are racist , the Redskins clothing and articles sold at Rite aid in Lancaster are racist, and the money that the school store generated is blood money . The percentage back Rite Aid gave the high school on these items is blood money . Gorja the name has changed like Russ Salvatore said " forget the past ." The school name is Legends ,move on. ******
    Greg:
    As you linked my name to this post I will respond.

Your use of the wording, “Take the advice of Lee Chowaniec,” is misleading. I advise or counsel no one in any formal venue to ‘opt in’ and take the tests.

I have openly stated that I am of a different generation and that if I had had children attending school today (Lancaster, as al my children did) they would have taken the test – especially this year. This year, Greg, where it was even stated by Ms. Verrico: The state’s education leaders hope tweaks and changes to the tests in the past two years will encourage more parents to have their students participate. That includes shortening the tests, making the tests un-timed, unlinking the test results from teacher evaluations for at least four years, and adding more teacher input on the questions.

For you to suggest parents opting out of state tests in a school district that performs as well Lancaster, where the tests have no bearing on teacher evaluation and no impact on a student’s final grade point average is poor advice – in my opinion. It uses children as pawns and sets another poor example for children that if something is not of your liking or too difficult, opt out. That’s not the way the real world works. Adversity is a part of life.

And who is scaring these poor stressed out children that taking this benchmarking test is detrimental to their current or future educational status and/or careers? Lancaster had a 48% opt out rate last year; much above average. Why in a school district performing so well? And, the opt-out rate is likely to increase because students will cajole their parents with the: “If Johnny doesn’t have to take the test, why do I?”

Let’s be honest Greg, there is still an underlying agenda here to discredit the school district Superintendent and any BOE member who dared to vote for the Redskin name change and to oppose/challenge any administration changes that did not favor their position.

Some people have not moved on, and never will.

I'd say she is hook, line and sinker aligned with Christopher and Depczynski

Melissa Studley scolded the board for delaying action on the parking spots and called it disrespectful. “This board is divided, and any idea from Mrs. Christopher or Mrs. Depczynski is (shot) down,” she said.

Georgia L Schlager

Attachment 4665
    Mr. Sojka's handpicked candidate needs to move on

Quote Originally Posted by Donutdan View Post
    Attachment 4665
    Mr. Sojka's handpicked candidate needs to move on
    Says attachment invalid

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Donutdan; March 22nd, 2017 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Did everyone hear that the NY school district is dropping the teacher literacy test claiming it actually is racist towards specific groups? by Allison Hillman
    Educators quality is vital, evaluations of teacher candidates vary as we know from state to state. Florida, educators only need a Bachelors degree, NY requires a Masters degree. The question that is often asked is what happens if teachers don't pass the competency exams? Well it means that the applicant is not qualified right?

The teacher unions in NY has opposed standardized testing and performance monitoring of educators since it was introduced decades ago, according to the article. The Academic Skills Literacy Test (ASLT) is being challenged, education officials are poised to scrap a test designed to measure the reading/writing skills of people trying to become teachers, in part because an outsized percentage of black and Hispanic candidates were failing it. According to the article. So apparently, this is racist and discriminatory.

Bring this to the posts aforementioned here, if we are challenging Common Core, and expect the students to strive to be challenged and prepared for college, why are we expecting our educators to be less than qualified by not being challenged & tested based on discrimination?

So A teacher/mom wrote an eye opening letter for her resignation:
    Her letter spoke about her experience throughout the years as an educator and how things have changed. As a mom she felt compelled to do something. She explained that the strict standardization from the higher grades is making its way down to touch even preschoolers, she stated in her article. She continued to state that it has become almost entirely test-based learning. This forces teachers into narrower and narrower teaching plans. It is not conducive to productive learning. She continued to state in her letter that as the years went on she found that she was more and more disturbed by the misguided reforms taking place which are robbing her students of a developmentally appropriate education.

I will quote, "The disorder is in the system which requires them to attempt curriculum and demonstrate behaviors far beyond what is appropriate for their age. The disorder is in the system which bars teachers from differentiating instruction meaningfully, which threatens disciplinary action if they decide their students need a five minute break from a difficult concept, or to extend a lesson which is exceptionally engaging."

In summary, I find that both those candidates express interest in doing what is best for the students. I also see no indication that Melissa is going to use the Redskins as part of her platform so it is disingenuous to state otherwise unless she has put in print that she is. Let's give them all a chance to express what their platform is and give them a wait and see. For some of you to make assumptions, shame on you.

I will be the first to admit when I am wrong, and regarding the candidates running for the school board, it was specifically brought to my attention that there are three candidates with the intent if elected, to bring back the Redskins name. I am (although it was wrong to make such a process to change with collateral damage), returning back to that topic is a non-starter for those who wish to revisit the issue. If this is truly the case, my stance is to oppose those candidates who wish to bring back the name Redskins. I have become comfortable now with Legends. This would be considered political suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Greg:
    As you linked my name to this post I will respond.

Your use of the wording, “Take the advice of Lee Chowaniec,” is misleading. I advise or counsel no one in any formal venue to ‘opt in’ and take the tests.

I have openly stated that I am of a different generation and that if I had had children attending school today (Lancaster, as al my children did) they would have taken the test – especially this year. This year, Greg, where it was even stated by Ms. Verrico: The state’s education leaders hope tweaks and changes to the tests in the past two years will encourage more parents to have their students participate. That includes shortening the tests, making the tests un-timed, unlinking the test results from teacher evaluations for at least four years, and adding more teacher input on the questions.

For you to suggest parents opting out of state tests in a school district that performs as well Lancaster, where the tests have no bearing on teacher evaluation and no impact on a student’s final grade point average is poor advice – in my opinion. It uses children as pawns and sets another poor example for children that if something is not of your liking or too difficult, opt out. That’s not the way the real world works. Adversity is a part of life.

And who is scaring these poor stressed out children that taking this benchmarking test is detrimental to their current or future educational status and/or careers? Lancaster had a 48% opt out rate last year; much above average. Why in a school district performing so well? And, the opt-out rate is likely to increase because students will cajole their parents with the: “If Johnny doesn’t have to take the test, why do I?”

Let’s be honest Greg, there is still an underlying agenda here to discredit the school district Superintendent and any BOE member who dared to vote for the Redskin name change and to oppose/challenge any administration changes that did not favor their position.

Some people have not moved on, and never will.

Lee,

We need to start listening to the educators, parents and the children. These tests are ridiculous. I wish the movement on this topic was more aggressive. I am seeing it deteriorate the fabric of education.

Lee,

We need to start listening to the educators, parents and the children. These tests are ridiculous. I wish the movement on this topic was more aggressive. I am seeing it deteriorate the fabric of education.
    You mean just like the teacher literacy test?

Quote Originally Posted by Donutdan View Post
    Good job, DD

Georgia L Schlager

Lee,

Apparently we socialize with a different group of parents and children who share different positions on the ‘stressful/useless’ state tests. As for educators I have no idea what their objections to the test are now as they will not be evaluated based on their results for the next four years.

In the real world people as people go through life they have to do many things they think have no value and/or which they have to pay for and get no return. Adversity is a part of life as is responsibility and character strength.

Where taking a state test when the test has been shortened, has educator involvement, is used as a benchmark to see how school districts are performing, has no impact on grade point average and is still considered ridiculous by some boggles my mind.

I feel the test controversy has become ridiculous to the point that if a prospective school board candidate in this year’s election favors or encourages the opt-out movement, that individual will not get my vote.

When people used the trite statement they are all about the best interests of the kids, tell me how this defiant action teaches them anything but to rebel and seek a safe haven.

As a school tax-paying resident who attended school board meetings for years I am a stakeholder in the game and a right to an opinion based on what I have learned. As a senior on a fixed income, not seeing any increase in SS in the past three years, receiving next to nothing in interest on savings, having no children or children of family members attending Lancaster schools, one of few who has attended budget work sessions and supported budget approval for the past six years, it is because Lancaster has improved its educational proficiency standards and programs significantly that this opt-out backlash is onerous to me. And the district achieved all that while staying within the tax cap levy and despite a $25 million decrease in state aid – and being ranked as first or second in cost-efficiency in the past several years.

While some post that school spending and taxes are going through the roof, examine where the brunt of the money is going – school staff salaries, benefits and perks. I support a budget that includes all this because I value the opportunity of children getting a good education. So when you say I should take the advice of an educator, I will not do so blindly and cannot for the life of me understand or come to your conclusion, “I am seeing it deteriorate the fabric of education.”

I sincerely believe the district will once again use “rainy day” funds in a responsible manner ($9-$11 million in the last several years) to come in with a budget far below the 3.72% allowable increase in tax levy. If that happens, I will again support the budget. If I do support the budget and am willing to spend the money to gives the kids an opportunity to get a good education, I want to see their bottoms plotted in seats taking the state test.

The average state opt-out rate was 21% last year. In Lancaster it was 48%. That is what I find ridiculous and shameful – in my opinion.

Hopefully, all candidates will be good taxpayers and have their property taxes paid up-to-date on the property in which they live.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Hopefully, all candidates will be good taxpayers and have their property taxes paid up-to-date on the property in which they live.
    Was there someone who didn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Neubs24 View Post
    Was there someone who didn't?
    ???? Just putting it out there

Georgia L Schlager

Glenn Jackson

http://www.lancasterbee.com/news/201...within_MT.html

Pretty impressive creds and a Harvard graduate to boot. Sounds like a well qualified candidate seeking a Lancaster school board position.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information