Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Day To Apply For HEAP

First Day To Apply For HEAP

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- Today is the first day people can apply for help under the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, or HEAP.

New York residents can get federal financial help for winter home heating costs. Applications are available at county Department of Social Services HEAP offices.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_articl...?storyid=42221
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Damn communist-fascists wanting to take our money and give it to the poor slobs who won't work enough to turn up the heat!!!
    When the hell did keeping everyone warm during the winter become a priority for our society?!?!?
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Quote Originally Posted by run4it
    Damn communist-fascists wanting to take our money and give it to the poor slobs who won't work enough to turn up the heat!!!
    When the hell did keeping everyone warm during the winter become a priority for our society?!?!?
    I was waitng for someone to say this.

HEAP is just another government giveaway program that is sucking the rest of all the taxpayers dry. Most of us turn down the thermostat and wear a sweater.

Y'know... One of the things that has always bothered me about HEAP is that I have a feeling a lot of low income people live on older dwellings that may be falling apart and poorly insulated. Those buildings get colder more easily.

I think that before they give people HEAP they should first go to the person's home and check for insulation and other things that could affect heat.

First I would recommend giving people a free box of plastic window cover and maybe even some free thermal curtains. I'm not being crass, I'm serious.

Not only are we wasting money but we are wasting fuel.

I'm not being cruel or heartless. I'm not saying "let the poor freeze to death." I am simply saying that we need to be more practical in regard to government giveaway programs because they create too much of a dependence and are often abused.

"Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you will feed him for the rest of his life."
    Last edited by Achbek1; November 3rd, 2006 at 10:54 AM.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

I dont bregrudge anyone who needs help and is working trying to make ends meet,handicapped or a senior but what burns me is...
    My friend does alot of handywork on properties for landlords and last year he went into a house in South Buffalo where he could barely work... Why?
    Because it was 90 degrees in there and he was sweating like Nixon..When he asked the obviously not wealthy tenant how can she afford the high heating bills..She matter of factly said " I dont pay them its on voucher" meaning Social Services pays the bill, I also dealt with a tenant who would have the heat blasting and the bathroom window open because " the bathroom got too hot" this is the same tenant who laid on the couch and was too "tired" to answer her door to let the painters in..No shes wasnt tired from work ..she doesnt have a job.
    I was very upset that I had to turn the heat on in October this year..We usually tough it out until November wearing sweaters and using extra blankets.
    WNY's link to the latest deals,printable coupons AND money saving tips!
    www.buffalobroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michele J
    I dont bregrudge anyone who needs help and is working trying to make ends meet,handicapped or a senior but what burns me is...
    My friend does alot of handywork on properties for landlords and last year he went into a house in South Buffalo where he could barely work... Why?
    Because it was 90 degrees in there and he was sweating like Nixon..When he asked the obviously not wealthy tenant how can she afford the high heating bills..She matter of factly said " I dont pay them its on voucher" meaning Social Services pays the bill, I also dealt with a tenant who would have the heat blasting and the bathroom window open because " the bathroom got too hot" this is the same tenant who laid on the couch and was too "tired" to answer her door to let the painters in..No shes wasnt tired from work ..she doesnt have a job.
    I was very upset that I had to turn the heat on in October this year..We usually tough it out until November wearing sweaters and using extra blankets.
    Exactly. There needs to be more checks and balances in this system. They need to have people visit these homes to make sure people are not either deliberately abusing the system or foolishly turning the heat up too high.

It's common sense. If anything, think of the fuel we are wasting. That will end up helping no one in the end if we are wasting fuel.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Maybe they should take the money used for the HEAP program and turn it into a energy conservation program. Instead of paying for more fuel it could be used to offset the cost of insulation, new windows, and energy efficent boilers/furnances. This program would not only help lower-income persons stay warm but also help the environment and cut our consumption of fossil fuels. Why encourage wasteful consumption? Why band-aid the problem when you could use that money to solve the problem?

Before the baby came I used to set the thermostat at 62F, now on my wife's orders its 68F.

So, we should hire someone to go around to HEAP recipients and make sure they don't have the thermostats too high? Then we get to pay for hearings for people who claim that the reading was incorrect, or they have some medical necessity, etc, etc.

Obviously I don't have the means for a cost-benefit analysis. I have no problem with the idea of providing preventative measures first (like providing window insulation). But I'm more willing to put up with abuses of the system than I am to let people literally freeze.

As a disclaimer, yes I was on HEAP at one time. Yes, I was working, and going to school. I just couldn't afford the heating bills at the time (interestingly enough, it was in one of those old houses with horrible insulation).
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Quote Originally Posted by run4it
    So, we should hire someone to go around to HEAP recipients and make sure they don't have the thermostats too high? Then we get to pay for hearings for people who claim that the reading was incorrect, or they have some medical necessity, etc, etc.

Obviously I don't have the means for a cost-benefit analysis. I have no problem with the idea of providing preventative measures first (like providing window insulation). But I'm more willing to put up with abuses of the system than I am to let people literally freeze.

As a disclaimer, yes I was on HEAP at one time. Yes, I was working, and going to school. I just couldn't afford the heating bills at the time (interestingly enough, it was in one of those old houses with horrible insulation).

Only allow a set amount of money for the voucher. I am all for helping people keep warm but I know officers all over WNY who go to calls in areas where lots of residents are on the system. It is 0 outside and they are wearing shorts. Not right.

Figure what the average cost of paying customers on similar homes (size and age) and then give a 10% upgrade in fee. Allow a two month grace if they go over the voucher. After that, place the burden of proof on the recipient as to why they need to spend more on heat then their neighbors.

A computer could do all of the work except for the "hearings" and hell WNY has plenty of people in government with free time already on the payroll.

If you're to poor to heat your place....try jumping jacks.
    The difference between taxes and robbery is the mode of coercion.

Quote Originally Posted by NoCtUrNaL
    If you're to poor to heat your place....work harder...the exercise will help.

If they're going to charge "too" much for heat, I have no problem with the state picking it up.
    I got HEAP when I was younger and if I fell under the guidelines, I'd take it in a second.
    I'd rather spend the money otherwise, rather than giving it to National Fuel.
    National Fuel is one of the last places I want to give money.

As Marie Antoinette once said, " Let them get HEAP."

They jack up the rates, knowing people can't pay, knowing they'll get paid.

Get off the poor people's backs. How about blasting the oil companies and the pigs that will never qualify for HEAP and haven't done an honest days work in their life.

These over stuffed republicans can afford to heat their homes, but they could use some exercise, Nocturnal. Like Tom Reynolds, for example.
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenco
    If they're going to charge "too" much for heat, I have no problem with the state picking it up.
    I got HEAP when I was younger and if I fell under the guidelines, I'd take it in a second.
    I'd rather spend the money otherwise, rather than giving it to National Fuel.
    National Fuel is one of the last places I want to give money.

As Marie Antoinette once said, " Let them get HEAP."

They jack up the rates, knowing people can't pay, knowing they'll get paid.

Get off the poor people's backs. How about blasting the oil companies and the pigs that will never qualify for HEAP and haven't done an honest days work in their life.

These over stuffed republicans can afford to heat their homes, but they could use some exercise, Nocturnal. Like Tom Reynolds, for example.
    I can see your point but it is not the REALLY the state paying for the heat. It is you paying the state which pays National Fuel. If you feel that National Fuel is gouging you on rates for just your home, then they are gouging you a thousand times over by getting the same rate from the state. So basically you are advocating for a company, that you hate, to take more money out of your pocket just as long as they do not take it from you directly. HMMMM

In regard to your comment that "pigs" have not done an honest days works, I would offer that a strong portion of the people who use HEAP are not as productive in the workplace as well.

Furthermore, if a lazy pig can hardly work and acquire more wealth and power then a "hard worker" maybe "hard workers" need to work "smarter not harder"

Quote Originally Posted by Downstate Buffaloian
    Maybe they should take the money used for the HEAP program and turn it into a energy conservation program. Instead of paying for more fuel it could be used to offset the cost of insulation, new windows, and energy efficent boilers/furnances. This program would not only help lower-income persons stay warm but also help the environment and cut our consumption of fossil fuels. Why encourage wasteful consumption? Why band-aid the problem when you could use that money to solve the problem?

Before the baby came I used to set the thermostat at 62F, now on my wife's orders its 68F.
    Good ideas! Especially places where people on on Section 8 to begin with... If government money is going to support these dwellings and also support the utilities and heating of these dwellings then we should make sure that it can be done so in a way with the least amount of waste. Spend the money to first of all make sure that the insulation on these places is up to par. That will likely save more money in the long run. I assume some of the more newly built housing developments may be more insulated and efficient?

And, exactly, it IS a waste of fuel when ANYONE sets their thermostat too high...

And part of the problem with government assistance is that it produces generations of people who have grown up used to having handouts and who have seen no other options in life.

I grew up working class and we struggled but we never went on any kind of public assistance. My parents were of the old school work ethic and would have nothing to do with it. One year after my father lost his job we, no joke, lived on a Hickory Farms beef log from a Christmas gift basket for three nights.

Actually, I had never even been aware of what these government programs were really about until I was at least in my twenties. I was oblivious to them... No one who I knew ever had to go on them. I knew what Welfare was but I had no idea that people could also get their rent and utilites paid for by the government.

Also, there is no shame now in regard to being on these programs. As Michele said, people are very matter of fact about being on them. It's that exact sense of either obliviousness or entitlement. Or helplessness.

Buffalo's cold winters and poverty and old stock housing all spell problems in regard to HEAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1
    Good ideas! Especially places where people on on Section 8 to begin with... If government money is going to support these dwellings and also support the utilities and heating of these dwellings then we should make sure that it can be done so in a way with the least amount of waste. Spend the money to first of all make sure that the insulation on these places is up to par. That will likely save more money in the long run. I assume some of the more newly built housing developments may be more insulated and efficient?

And, exactly, it IS a waste of fuel when ANYONE sets their thermostat too high...

And part of the problem with government assistance is that it produces generations of people who have grown up used to having handouts and who have seen no other options in life.

I grew up working class and we struggled but we never went on any kind of public assistance. My parents were of the old school work ethic and would have nothing to do with it. One year after my father lost his job we, no joke, lived on a Hickory Farms beef log from a Christmas gift basket for three nights.

Actually, I had never even been aware of what these government programs were really about until I was at least in my twenties. I was oblivious to them... No one who I knew ever had to go on them. I knew what Welfare was but I had no idea that people could also get their rent and utilites paid for by the government.

Also, there is no shame now in regard to being on these programs. As Michele said, people are very matter of fact about being on them. It's that exact sense of either obliviousness or entitlement. Or helplessness.

Buffalo's cold winters and poverty and old stock housing all spell problems in regard to HEAP.
    I'm certainly wouldn't deny anyone a warm house. However, I think that in this day in age it would be better all around to help lower people's bills rather than give them money for wasting energy. I'm not against government programs just ones that promote waste.

I certainly don't want to be hypocritical here. Members of my family have used the HEAP program. When I was a kid, I remember my father going downtown with my Grandmother to apply for it. Could she have done without it? Probably, though she was pretty low income (just living on Social Security). My parents encouraged her to get it because it was "Free money".

In the early 80's when my father was layed-off we applied for food stamps. At the time I thought it quite embarassing and my mother must have too because she would drive into the City Of Buffalo to use them so the neighbors wouldn't see us. My father made money off the books at the time so we had the money to eat, but again they looked at it as "Free Money".

I, myself have used government programs to better myself. I got half of my college tuition payed for by TAP (Tuition Assistance Program) and the other half paid by volenteering for Americorps for two years. However, I look at that as a constructive use of government money because I bettered myself and are paying back in taxes much more than I took from the government.

I'm glad that my family and I are in a position that we will never in a million years have to apply for government help like my parents did. In fact we are in a position where we can help others. Thankfully, I've achieved solid middle-class status from a working-class childhood.

Government programs can be helpful when they encourage people to be more independent (college tuition help, match money for start-up businesses or homeownership, support for child care) but are a detriment if they are simply a hand-out. I know, my family growing up took advantage of both.

heap is just one of the programs. when you apply for heap there are many other options opened up for you. the heap side is meant to be a temporary fix to get a family through the winter. the other programs do much more. replace refrigerators with more efficient models. attic insulation and insulated zip seals for the attic access. they will drill and insulate the outer walls of a home, replace old out dated furnaces. if an invalid requires air conditioning they will install it and yes generators are provided for anyone who requires electrical medical equipment. fire alarms co2 alarms. if they pressure test your home and find the windows are terrible they will seal them and if that is not possible replace them. now for the shock most of this work is done with grants. if your income is boarder line poor you might have to go the 1% loan route. many foundations and charities offer these programs. it is not all tax money collected from you some is tax credit given to our rich friends
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

We just keep paying.

Quote Originally Posted by Michele J
    The taxpayer is just like the Energizer bunny, we keep paying and paying and paying. There are people who need the help that this program provides and there are the people abuse the system every day of their lives. About 25 years ago I worked in south Buffalo and I had to drive through the Perry Projects to get to the Thruway entrance. Now it's the middle of December and about 0 with the wind chill. As I drive thought the middle of the projects I can see about 3/4 of the windows are open and people hanging out of them in tank tops or no tops at all. Now about a week later I read in the News that the BMHA wants to set the heat @ 68 degrees and then lock the thermostats because of the abuse of setting the heat at 80-90 . Well now that did not go over big with all the hard working tenants and they filed a lawsuit against the BMHA and won. Oh by the way , who do you think paid for that Lawyer? The taxpayer of course! If we all quit our jobs and go on the programs who would pay for them . Michele, life is not fair, unless you know how to abuse the system .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information