Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why would this be an issue - Solar Farms

4248, I have no problem with a town board taking the time to study a new potential land use and adjusting its zoning code accordingly. I think they would be remiss if they didn't do so. After all, a town board is, in fact, a legislative body chargeable with enacting an appropriate zoning code. Maybe you disagree with their choices in the code. If so, convince them to change or run against them.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Same could be said with vacant buildings that sit for years. I think removed the panels would be much easier than a cell tower or empty strip mall.
    An empty building can be repurposed without necessarily having to clear the whole lot. Until you clear an abandoned solar panel farm all its good for is growing weeds.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I disagree with you on that.

Depending how the solar panels were installed the pillars could probably be pulled out with a large backhoe. Any lot is good for growing weeds so I don't see how a vacant solar panel lot is any different. How many solar panel lots have been abandoned in Erie County this year?

How many have been abandoned this year? Probably none because the sun barely shines enough here to make one worth building. But there is the comically stupid one on Maple Road at UB which is overgrown with weeds in the summer to such an extent that it's limited usefulness as a generator of power is certainly compromised. And thank you for pointing out the work required to reclaim a lot upon which a solar farm is built. An abandoned building can be repurposed without tearing it out with a backhoe.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    There are many buildings which outlive their purpose. There are many building who's cost to re purposed is far greater than just tearing them down. There I won the debate. Either way a solar farm or crappy building has a cost associated with it for removal. If someone wants to put up 100 solar panels and it's their property they should be allowed to do it. AS long as their actions don't interfere with someone else's property in general.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information