Thread: Who is responsible for the inspection of a development's' road construction?

Who is responsible for the inspection of a development's' road construction?

It was mentioned by the Highway superintendent and the town engineer that Windsor Ridge Dr was really not in condition for truck traffic. I think it was a problem with the base not the binder or fine coat. My hearing isn't the greatest but I understood that the roadway moved underneath with heavy vehicle use.

Would that have been the town engineer, Robert Labenski's faux pas?

Georgia L Schlager

Plans are submitted but there's really nothing to make sure that they're followed. You can spec out 18" of #1 crushed stone, get it approved, then put in only 10 and no one will know. You can see that #1 crushed stone was used, but the thickness is not evident.

It's cheaper to put in a crappy road, finish your development and then let the town pay for the repaving later. The street i grew up on when i was a kid lasted 30 years before needing repaving. Portions of windsor ridge have already be repaved after less than a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    Plans are submitted but there's really nothing to make sure that they're followed. You can spec out 18" of #1 crushed stone, get it approved, then put in only 10 and no one will know. You can see that #1 crushed stone was used, but the thickness is not evident.

It's cheaper to put in a crappy road, finish your development and then let the town pay for the repaving later. The street i grew up on when i was a kid lasted 30 years before needing repaving. Portions of windsor ridge have already be repaved after less than a decade.
    That's just not true, at least not any more. Developers pay the Town to inspect their work to make sure things are installed according to plan. That is part of the Public Improvement Permits that are approved by the Town Board. The Town also doesn't take over (own) the road until it is deemed acceptable. I think the problem with the old subdivision streets is that the cross section of the road that was required back then is not up to the standards that they are today. That would indeed be an issue that sits with the people that were approving these types of things back then.

That's true outside. The current superintendent did upgrade the standards. I guess that it is plausible the previous standards were slip shod thus the road construction was too

Georgia L Schlager

I've been on enough job sites with inspectors to laugh at your comment.

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    I've been on enough job sites with inspectors to laugh at your comment.
    So, the inspectors are no shows or blind eyes?

Georgia L Schlager

Thread Information