Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Robery Stopped BUT Homeowner charged

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    Unless you have a 300 lb floor safe the criminal wins.
    I have a bolted pistol safe for my kids but get a big enough pry bar and you are in business.
    The bottom line is that this is a senseless argument. Whether or not it was locked up, someone broke INTO A HOUSE THAT WASNT THEIRS, and stole his gun. Period. I don't care if it was locked up. It was stolen.

Yes, I can see both sides, but I'm also looking at it from the point of view that... "well, this is the person that stole my gun, so shooot...."

15 times is probably about what it takes to cause enough damage to stop a car.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150 View Post
    The bottom line is that this is a senseless argument.
    Sorry the sublety of my point went by you. I was referring to another thread concerning the proposed state law regarding securing firearms in the home.

(I hate it when I have to explain the quips)

b.b.

Quote Originally Posted by BorderBob View Post
    Sorry the sublety of my point went by you. I was referring to another thread concerning the proposed state law regarding securing firearms in the home.

(I hate it when I have to explain the quips)

b.b.

Oh.

Well if that law passes we may as well surrender everything. Here, take my cash, collectibles, life whatever you want. I can't reach my weapon in time to save my family because NYS says it has to be secured!

As for this man who shot 15 times.... I would have been freaking out! I don't know if I could be in full control of myself when I was holding that rifle after the 2nd consecutive break in! I just may over shoot the target one too many times. The police found his stolen gun on the scene. Evidence proves it was the same culprits. I am not too sure I wouldn't have done things exactly as he did.

Our "hero" will need a damn good attorney and it will cost him a fortune. Does anyone know if Cambria does pro bono work?????? He sure loves notoriety!
    Hazel
    Why is it called a prayer when people talk to God, but schizophrenia when God talks back to people?

Jeez, I didn't know until yesterday's article, that one of the burglars was his step daughter.
    I have sympathy for the guy -- there's no doubt he's been going through hell. But, still....justifying 15 shots at a fleeing vehicle is not easy.

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    But, still....justifying 15 shots at a fleeing vehicle is not easy.

Agreed.
    Heck, he has very valid points, too. They could have easily come back a 3rd time, and who knows what they're capable of doing (the facts seem to support they were stealing for drug money)? A stable person doesn't break in to homes, and especially not their step-dad's twice in 3 days. Why take the chance of them getting away and force yourself to be looking over your shoulder 24/7?? The man was basically a prisoner in his own home due to a couple of ****-bags.
    On the other hand, shooting at a fleeing vehicle (which is apparently a fact) is just not a good idea.

Jeez, I didn't know until yesterday's article, that one of the burglars was his step daughter.
    I have sympathy for the guy -- there's no doubt he's been going through hell. But, still....justifying 15 shots at a fleeing vehicle is not easy.

There was a post by one of this guys neighbors somewhere. They said that the news report is wrong about how the entire thing happened.

Apparently Cherry shot 15 times because this guy was in the car trying to ram him with it.
    That would justify it pretty well, don't you think?

Originally Posted by Chant
    My take...homeowner puts 15 rounds into engine compartment and disables a potential 2-ton weapon under a criminal's control - without harming said criminal or innocent bystander. That is my defination of "gun control".
    You'll notice of course... homeowner didn't shoot fleeing burgler in the back when he probably could have.
    If he had only used up 15 rounds out of a 20, 30, or 40 round magazine, I'd also call that restraint.
    But that's just me.

You have a great imagination.
    You'll let your imagination run as wild as possible, looking for ways to defend the guy. If the story turns out that way (He was successful in disabling the vehicle,) I will be the first to admit I'm wrong.
    Fleeing Burgler chooses to get out of a "working" automoblie, while being shot at, and run away on foot because....?????

Please feel free to explain why making that decision was a logical one to me... To most people it wouldn't be, because obviously driving a car is usually faster than running on foot.

Unless of course... that car wasn't running anymore for some strange reason.

If you actually believe in what you're saying, you wouldn't have to make up such nonsense as this.
    Well, it could be worse... I could be writing the half-informed nonsense that you do. Did you even bother to read the first article? Because I've noticed you only seem to get half the story in just about every post of yours that I've ever read. So is it: A: You ony read every other word because its quicker? Or B: You just pick and chose what suits your personal opinion and chuck the rest?

BTW... if anyone had bothered to look at the police photos attached to the story (you know, the ones that show the cops searching open fields for evidence) You probably would figured out that the residence was in a rural area.
    Last edited by Chant; February 1st, 2010 at 06:05 PM.

Apparently Cherry shot 15 times because this guy was in the car trying to ram him with it.
    If it's true, yeah.

But the police report seemed to indicate that the car was in reverse. I'm not saying I know how it happened. None of us know - including his neighbor.

If it's true, yeah.

But the police report seemed to indicate that the car was in reverse. I'm not saying I know how it happened. None of us know - including his neighbor.
    The neighbor probably would know if they were out there and saw it happen.

If I heard gunshots, I would probably run outside to see what was going on, which would make me a witness to the event.

The police weren't there, so they had no way to know what gear the car was in.

There was a post by one of this guys neighbors somewhere. They said that the news report is wrong about how the entire thing happened.

Has this been verified? I've been too busy the last few days to get an update on the story. Also, didn't the first article just say that the 2 burglers were suspected in the theft of a handgun - no owner mentioned? Is it confirmed now that the handgun in question did belong to Cherry?

The neighbor probably would know if they were out there and saw it happen.
    Did the neighbor say he was there?? Or, are you just making wild assumptions?

You assume those 15 shots lasted long enough for the neighbor to get there? I seem to remember someone (maybe it was the neighbor) saying that it's a pretty rural area, and that the house are spread far apart.

Come on, just because someone posts, saying that they know the guy, you're taking it a step further, and assuming the guy was there??? Even though he didn't say so.

Thank God you're not a detective.

If it's true, yeah.

Yeah... and I've seen drunk drivers repeatedly shift their cars in and out of gears after an accident, trying to get their wrecked car working again so they could get away. That only means, that's the gear position an able-bodied person left it in before giving up and leaving it. Doesn't indicate what position it was in when Cherry fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Chant View Post
    Has this been verified? I've been too busy the last few days to get an update on the story. Also, didn't the first article just say that the 2 burglers were suspected in the theft of a handgun - no owner mentioned? Is it confirmed now that the handgun in question did belong to Cherry?
    Just managed to get the article opened again. I did remember reading about a stolen handgun, but thought I remembered it as being from a unrelated break-in that they were suspected in.

Okay that makes it worse in my view. In this case, if I were in Cherry's situation and knowing that these two are probably going to be armed with one of my stolen handguns... I don't think I'd be too charitable about taking a chance of letting them kill me with my own weapon.
    If I have you at gun point in this case, and I tell you not to move... and you move anyway... all bets are off.

Did the neighbor say he was there?? Or, are you just making wild assumptions?

You assume those 15 shots lasted long enough for the neighbor to get there? I seem to remember someone (maybe it was the neighbor) saying that it's a pretty rural area, and that the house are spread far apart.

Come on, just because someone posts, saying that they know the guy, you're taking it a step further, and assuming the guy was there??? Even though he didn't say so.

Thank God you're not a detective.
    Don't be a stupid *******. I wasn't stating this as fact. I was stating what was said.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information