Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Robery Stopped BUT Homeowner charged

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    Let's reenact what happened there -- the kids walked in his open garage door.
    He was standing there, gun in hand, waiting for them.
    They took off, and he fired 15 shots at their car.
    How the **** can anyone defend this guy? If he shot them once in the leg (even running away,) I'd say fine. But, this guy is hardly a responsible gun-owner.

For those of you who are responsible gun owners, you only hurt your cause when you defend a knuckle head like this.
    At the risk of living up to being a knuckelhead ....sharkey's posting of article 35 seems to support Cherry.

Depends on perspective in NY he is reckless, in Texas he would get a ticker tape parade.

personally I can see both sides, I would not have fired the weapon as the chances for a stray bullet could be disasterous, and the person was no longer a threat..if it were arson, rape, murder, you bet I would of emptied a clip in that car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Who knows maybe his wife was raped years ago, or this is the 20th time he has been robbed, or mugged.

depends on the mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    those of you with AR15's. if you hold the trigger, does it continue to fire?
    If the AR15 owners who can hold the trigger and the weapon still fire, they should most likely not post that here.

It's an illegal mod. Simple to do, but illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Resident View Post
    Layout of the scene.

Home approximately 600 feet back from road.
    Homes next to it are well over 1000 feet away.
    Nothing behind but woods for miles.

This is the country. I know, I live out here. I know Dennis, but due to charges pending, I am holding any other information.

He is a responsible, law abiding citizen.
    I saw something similar in the Buffalo News comments, and it does change some things, IMO, but I still don't think it clears him of some of the charges.
    I still think that he could have easily killed one of those scumbags, which doesn't upset me, but it's still against the law to kill a simple burglar.

those of you with AR15's. if you hold the trigger, does it continue to fire?
    A normal AR-15 is semi-auto (one pull of the trigger fires one shot). But, you can pull the trigger on these really fast so shooting 15 shots can be done in only a few seconds.

The version of the AR-15 used by the military can be set to fire full auto (like a machine gun). A private citizen needs a special permit to own a full auto version. The big problem with the full auto version is the gun barrel will overheat very rapidly and this can damage the gun.

You don't want to damage one of these.....they aren't cheap.
    Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Bioguy231 View Post

The version of the AR-15 used by the military can be set to fire full auto (like a machine gun).

The full auto went out the door with the m16A-1. The A-2 and subsequent models have a "safe, semi, and 3 round burst" option.

Quote Originally Posted by Bioguy231 View Post
    A normal AR-15 is semi-auto (one pull of the trigger fires one shot). But, you can pull the trigger on these really fast so shooting 15 shots can be done in only a few seconds.

The version of the AR-15 used by the military can be set to fire full auto (like a machine gun). A private citizen needs a special permit to own a full auto version. The big problem with the full auto version is the gun barrel will overheat very rapidly and this can damage the gun.

Military doesn't use the AR-15. It uses the M16A2 and M4, neither of which have full auto. They have 3 selections: Safe, Single, And Burst (3-round burst).

The only way to make either the M16A2 or M4 full auto is performing a mod on the trigger assy, which if your armorer discovers it, you will be in a heap of trouble.

The M249 SAW, however, fires .223 (AKA 5.56 mm), and does either belt-fed or magazine fed, and has full auto.

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article35.htm
    Seems to me if they consider what the perps were doing as robbery deadly force is justified in order to prevent them from fleeing the crime scene
    I'd love to have you folks on my jury should I ever have to shoot anyone in the line of duty. Shooting at a fleeing burglar would get most of us fired as well as prosecuted.

b.b.

Quote Originally Posted by Chant View Post
    My take...homeowner puts 15 rounds into engine compartment and disables a potential 2-ton weapon under a criminal's control - without harming said criminal or innocent bystander. That is my defination of "gun control".
    You'll notice of course... homeowner didn't shoot fleeing burgler in the back when he probably could have.
    If he had only used up 15 rounds out of a 20, 30, or 40 round magazine, I'd also call that restraint.
    But that's just me.
    You have a great imagination.
    You'll let your imagination run as wild as possible, looking for ways to defend the guy. If the story turns out that way (He was successful in disabling the vehicle,) I will be the first to admit I'm wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by chant
    And some of you people seem to have no problem with two young thugs picking out an elderly man who they probably thought was helpess as a target. WTF is up with that?
    If you actually believe in what you're saying, you wouldn't have to make up such nonsense as this.

Quote Originally Posted by BorderBob View Post
    I'd love to have you folks on my jury should I ever have to shoot anyone in the line of duty. Shooting at a fleeing burglar would get most of us fired as well as prosecuted.

b.b.
    I'm sure most people on a jury would side with a cop, almost hands down. Problem is? Never gets to a jury. It gets to the media, who then demonizes the cops.

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    You have a great imagination.
    You'll let your imagination run as wild as possible, looking for ways to defend the guy. If the story turns out that way (He was successful in disabling the vehicle,) I will be the first to admit I'm wrong.

If you actually believe in what you're saying, you wouldn't have to make up such nonsense as this.
    I find it laughable that Mr. Cherry is the one being demonized for protecting his home, while no one is saying anything about the low-lifes that tried to rob him.

From what I understand he has been robbed before. His handgun was stolen.

We all know that the person who got away wasn't going to be caught. He was assuring they would be by disabling the car. They were 15 shots at the car.

I don't want to hear any bleeding heart bs about the children possibly being hit and all that. I'm tired of it. The liberals have done a really good job of making good people evil.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150 View Post
    From what I understand he has been robbed before. His handgun was stolen.
    Really? Was it locked up? Ammunition secured in a separate container from the weapon? Reminds me of another thread in this board about responsibility and new laws...

b.b.

Really? Was it locked up? Ammunition secured in a separate container from the weapon? Reminds me of another thread in this board about responsibility and new laws...

b.b.
    Oh. So I guess if he didn't do this it's okay for someone to break into his house and steal it.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Maybe if ny would just outlaw gun ownership all together, this wouldnt have happened.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Maybe if ny would just outlaw gun ownership all together, this wouldnt have happened.
    Dont get me started old man! HARUMPH!!!

b.b.
    Unless you have a 300 lb floor safe the criminal wins.
    I have a bolted pistol safe for my kids but get a big enough pry bar and you are in business.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information