Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Robery Stopped BUT Homeowner charged

Quote Originally Posted by Bioguy231 View Post
    Bottom line is that it was pretty stupid to run outside and fire at a fleeing car. The laws are pretty clear about that.

Do we know for sure the second burgler was fleeing??? Or planning to use the car for something else? A two ton battering ram perhaps?

He may also have another legal problem. He fired 15 shots and so he probably has an illegal magazine for his AR-15. 10 shot magazines are the biggest that are legal in NYS.

I believe that laws expired a few years ago, Dave. PLus even if it still was in effect, the mags could have been grandfathered in. Meaning he owned them prior to the law going into effect.

Yup... better to let the burglers beat or kill you, than to defend yourself in NYS... especially if you're elderly.

Quote Originally Posted by NBuffaloResident View Post
    Really? I never missed. But, then again, I always qualified Expert (40 for 40) on M16, and no worse than Sharpshooter for the M2, AT4, and Grenade

And how many times did you score 40 for 40 on a moving target? Or while being shot at?

And how can anyone miss with a grenade?

Just messin' with ya! My nephew just scored Expert at MC Boot. And I guess he did well at infantry school on everything else, especially the SAW.

Quote Originally Posted by Chant View Post
    And how many times did you score 40 for 40 on a moving target? Or while being shot at?
    On moving targets? I did pretty well with the M2 mounted on a HWMMV And while firing a M16A2 out of a 5-Ton, I don't think I missed any. After I shot, they stopped firing back

And how can anyone miss with a grenade?
    Easy to do! Throw short lol

Just messin' with ya! My nephew just scored Expert at MC Boot. And I guess he did well at infantry school on everything else, especially the SAW.
    If he did good at 11 bang-bang school, you can be pretty sure he's good at hitting the moving targets. And, it's hard to miss with a SAW (Great weapon).

Really? I never missed. But, then again, I always qualified Expert (40 for 40) on M16, and no worse than Sharpshooter for the M2, AT4, and Grenade
    True, but even live fire... there is no one shooting at you with malice,,, well I mean intent to kill you. Does drop your accuracy a bit. It would with me.

Sorry, I stand corrected just read the post above.

Here is a reality check for everyone...

Du to the 'extreme' reaction of this guy to the criminals there will be political pressure to throw the book at the home owner. Reason being is that Govt officials dont wan this guy setting an example for the rest of the sheep, that defending yourself with a gun, is a good thing.

So, I wouldnt be surprised if he gets fined heavily, his guns siezed, his pistol permits revoked... and possibly even jail time.

We will have to watch this case. Also has there been anything on the local news about it?
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

On moving targets? I did pretty well with the M2 mounted on a HWMMV And while firing a M16A2 out of a 5-Ton, I don't think I missed any. After I shot, they stopped firing back

Naw-Naw... belt-fed spray-n-pray doesn't count!

Out of the back of a 5-ton? That sounds like doe season down in PA.

Easy to do! Throw short lol

I thought you might say something like forgetting to pull the pin.

If he did good at 11 bang-bang school, you can be pretty sure he's good at hitting the moving targets. And, it's hard to miss with a SAW (Great weapon).
    Yup, he loved the SAW and I guess did real well with it. He said he was looking forward to giving the mortar a try next. I guess he also has a chance with his scores to serve at Camp David. I think he wants to be one of the guards with all the weapons hidden on them. He was very impressed by them.

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post

Du to the 'extreme' reaction of this guy to the criminals there will be political pressure to throw the book at the home owner. Reason being is that Govt officials dont wan this guy setting an example for the rest of the sheep, that defending yourself with a gun, is a good thing.

So, I wouldnt be surprised if he gets fined heavily, his guns siezed, his pistol permits revoked... and possibly even jail time.

We will have to watch this case. Also has there been anything on the local news about it?
    Hope he gets a good jury that will tell the courts to go F themself.

Also, seeing the second burgler fled on foot afterwards... I'm assuming that the homeowner disabled the car with his shots.

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post

I, for one, don't want some pud living next door to me that thinks it's appropriate to fire off 15 rounds down his driveway.
    I'm all for a responsible gun owner living next door. Even one that isn't afraid to use it. I just want it used in a much more responsible manner.

For all of you rambo and rambette wanna-be's out there, hitting your target doesn't mean that the bullet stays there. A 223 riccochets like a MF'er...But I'm sure you all know that, right?

This guy was reckless from the little I've managed to read here.

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd View Post
    I, for one, don't want some pud living next door to me that thinks it's appropriate to fire off 15 rounds down his driveway.
    I'm all for a responsible gun owner living next door. Even one that isn't afraid to use it. I just want it used in a much more responsible manner.

For all of you rambo and rambette wanna-be's out there, hitting your target doesn't mean that the bullet stays there. A 223 riccochets like a MF'er...But I'm sure you all know that, right?

This guy was reckless from the little I've managed to read here.

Dont be a sissy and assume you know the layout of the scene. The only victom is Cherry. So that means there was nothing reckless about how he defended himself.

Where the hell are you buying your .223 at? I wanna stay away from there.

And how do you know it was .223Rem. and not 5.56mm? There is a difference, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvan View Post
    Dont be a sissy and assume you know the layout of the scene. The only victom is Cherry. So that means there was nothing reckless about how he defended himself.
    What part of "From the little I've read here" escapes you? I don't know the layout of the scene, and neither do you. Whomever charged him does though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chant View Post
    Where the hell are you buying your .223 at? I wanna stay away from there.

And how do you know it was .223Rem. and not 5.56mm? There is a difference, you know?
    The difference is basically neglible for the topic at hand, but the point remains the same. Riccohets are commonplace. If you don't agree, I suggest you shoot some tracer ammo, day-time or night-time, watch the ammo fly. The tracer doesn't lie.

What part of "From the little I've read here" escapes you? I don't know the layout of the scene, and neither do you. Whomever charged him does though.
    No secondary victom = no recklessness. So in my opinion Cherry shouldnt be charged with anything, and he should sue for false arrest. Also, if any of the 15 rounds missed the car or deflected into a neighbors window, siding, automobile, etc.., perhaps Cherry should be responsible for the repair. Id make the two criminals pay for that though.

i wouldnt be surprised if the two criminals sue Cherry for mental distress.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

The difference is basically neglible for the topic at hand, but the point remains the same. Riccohets are commonplace. If you don't agree, I suggest you shoot some tracer ammo, day-time or night-time, watch the ammo fly. The tracer doesn't lie.
    LOL!!!

I have shot tracers, and a trace is nowhere near a full ball round.
    And the difference is more than neglible. 5.56mm is a lightly longer and thicker case, the weight of the bullet the military uses is now heavier than when it first came out. And the chamber pressure is about 10,000cup higher than the .223 Remington.

Plus, I've seen .223 shot out of a Thomson Contender Pistol blow through a angled steel back stop that stopped full house .44mags. Also .223 and 5.56 have a tendency to tumble, I don't think theres much on a modern car that they're not going to bite into no matter what the angle.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information