Thread: Donald Trump has Much to learn from Frederick Douglass

Donald Trump has Much to learn from Frederick Douglass

by Charles M. Blow

Last week at a supposed Black History Month “listening session” at the White House, Donald Trump made this baffling statement: “I am very proud now that we have a museum on the National Mall where people can learn about Reverend King, so many other things. Frederick Douglass is an example of somebody who’s done an amazing job that is being recognized more and more, I notice.” Read more...

www.thebuffalobullet.com

Mr. Blow's article was well written, however I think it only proves that no matter what our President says or does, to some he can do nothing right and they'll be quick to criticize and ridicule him. I agree with Mr. Spicer's answer to the media when he stated “I think he wants to highlight the contributions that he has made. And I think through a lot of the actions and statements that he’s going to make, I think the contributions of Frederick Douglass will become more and more.” I think Mr. Blow's NYT article, your post, and related media stories and social media storm has proven his point.

Mr. Blow's statement "Social media had a field day with this, relentlessly mocking the team, but for me the emotion was overwhelming sadness: How could the American “president” or a White House press secretary, or any American citizen for that matter, not know who Douglass is?" I have to disagree. It is evident that they DO know who Mr. Douglass was, and relegated his importance to our American history.

Thread Information