Thread: Police calls to Local Walmarts Cost $400,000+

Police calls to Local Walmarts Cost $400,000+

oh boy cheek Walmart leads the pack for pd calls .. not surprised look who shops at them.. I think you need ICE to start being called in. I went to the one on walden the newest one. OMG talk about racism I never seen one white employeeee "what up" with that? Then I looked like a tourist at the UN.
    CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. -- Local, county and state police agencies in Western New York spent an estimated $400,044 over a one-year period responding to the 6 Walmart stores in Erie County, according to data obtained and analyzed by 2 On Your Side.

Between May 24, 2015 and May 24, 2016, police departments reported the following numbers of complaints filed at the respective Walmart stores:

Cheektowaga - 786 calls
    Hamburg - 600 calls
    Amherst - 461 calls
    Lancaster/Depew - 283 calls
    Clarence - 265 calls
    Springville - 233 calls

Using a national standard, those 2,703 calls, which average 7.4 per day, add up to 10,812 man hours for local authorities. Do the math, and that's a cost to taxpayers of $400,044.

In Cheektowaga, records show Walmart had more police activity than any individual location. Second was JC Penney at the Walden Galleria, followed by the Tops Market at 700 Thruway Plaza Drive.

Walmart released the following statement to 2 On Your Side:

“No retailer is immune to the challenge of crime. We recognize the importance of this issue at the highest levels of the company, and we are investing in people and technology to support our stores. We’re encouraged by a 35% reduction in calls to law enforcement agencies nationwide, on average, since we began implementing Restorative Justice and other crime deterrence programs. We’ll continue our outreach to law enforcement across the country as part of our ongoing commitment to meet our customers’ and associates’ expectations of a safe and enjoyable shopping experience.”

A Walmart spokesperson added that it's investing more money in the "More at the Door" program, which places workers at the entrances to some stores. The Western New York locations are included.

The company has also increased training for Asset Protection employees

Thursday at 5:30pm, 2 On Your Side looks into the phenomenon of "organized retail theft", which costs the economy many billions of dollars a year. We'll show you how one Western New Yorker has stolen so many times, he's been sent to the Erie County Holding Center more than 100 times.
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

Quote Originally Posted by cheekman View Post
    oh boy cheek Walmart leads the pack for pd calls .. not surprised look who shops at them.. I think you need ICE to start being called in. I went to the one on walden the newest one. OMG talk about racism I never seen one white employeeee "what up" with that? Then I looked like a tourist at the UN.
    CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. -- Local, county and state police agencies in Western New York spent an estimated $400,044 over a one-year period responding to the 6 Walmart stores in Erie County, according to data obtained and analyzed by 2 On Your Side.

Between May 24, 2015 and May 24, 2016, police departments reported the following numbers of complaints filed at the respective Walmart stores:

Cheektowaga - 786 calls
    Hamburg - 600 calls
    Amherst - 461 calls
    Lancaster/Depew - 283 calls
    Clarence - 265 calls
    Springville - 233 calls

Using a national standard, those 2,703 calls, which average 7.4 per day, add up to 10,812 man hours for local authorities. Do the math, and that's a cost to taxpayers of $400,044.

In Cheektowaga, records show Walmart had more police activity than any individual location. Second was JC Penney at the Walden Galleria, followed by the Tops Market at 700 Thruway Plaza Drive.

Walmart released the following statement to 2 On Your Side:

“No retailer is immune to the challenge of crime. We recognize the importance of this issue at the highest levels of the company, and we are investing in people and technology to support our stores. We’re encouraged by a 35% reduction in calls to law enforcement agencies nationwide, on average, since we began implementing Restorative Justice and other crime deterrence programs. We’ll continue our outreach to law enforcement across the country as part of our ongoing commitment to meet our customers’ and associates’ expectations of a safe and enjoyable shopping experience.”

A Walmart spokesperson added that it's investing more money in the "More at the Door" program, which places workers at the entrances to some stores. The Western New York locations are included.

The company has also increased training for Asset Protection employees

Thursday at 5:30pm, 2 On Your Side looks into the phenomenon of "organized retail theft", which costs the economy many billions of dollars a year. We'll show you how one Western New Yorker has stolen so many times, he's been sent to the Erie County Holding Center more than 100 times.
    Ok , this is the only instance I think Shariah Law is useful....guy steals 100 times,, cut his hands off.

wonder if the new location will lower the number of calls for the cheektowaga store
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I was wondering how the new walmart compared to the old location with police calls. I'll email someone I know and ask

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Here is what i was told.

An officer said that the number of calls to the new Walmart went down because there is no where for them to run if they are shoplifting. Not sure by how much calls went down but they have.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Here is what i was told.

An officer said that the number of calls to the new Walmart went down because there is no where for them to run if they are shoplifting. Not sure by how much calls went down but they have.
    You mean the bus wait is too long in between?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Don't know what was meant by that. Just repeating what was told to me

Scanner traffic still has them going to Walmart on Walden and the Galleria mall at least once per day.

Here is what i was told.

The Thruway Plaza store was surrounded by train tracks, fields and other retail. The new one is surrounded by a high fence almost out to Walden and its a long run to get there.

The cost of police is based on what? Are they on duty or were being called off duty. Police calls to Local Walmarts Cost $400,000+ are these costs base on what? Is there an extra cost when you call the police?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry A View Post
    The cost of police is based on what? Are they on duty or were being called off duty. Police calls to Local Walmarts Cost $400,000+ are these costs base on what? Is there an extra cost when you call the police?
    The cost is based on standards according to the reporter on Channel 2. These crimes take away officers from doing other police matters like checking on the donuts at the local Tom Hortons. lol

The $400,000 was for all area Erie County Walmarts combined.

The police are called to Walmart and the galleria daily for many different reasons of which shoplifting is unofficially #1,

It cost money to go to these calls as opposed to writing traffic tickets which bring in Millions of $$$ for the town.

These business do pay a lot of money in property taxes and unless the town rewrites the laws to limit or exclude police protection for large retail businesses we will just have to live with it.

These monies spent are pocket change compared to what the town pays for current employees and retirees benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry A View Post
    They gave the math.

10,812 man hours / 2,703 calls is 4hrs per call. $400,044/10,812 = $37hr. So each shoplifting call costs $148. The Cheektowaga Walmart had 786 calls so $116,328 in just police costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Electric Eye
    It cost money to go to these calls as opposed to writing traffic tickets which bring in Millions of $$$ for the town. These business do pay a lot of money in property taxes and unless the town rewrites the laws to limit or exclude police protection for large retail businesses we will just have to live with it.
    This is a really interesting point. In NYS shoplifting property with a value of $1,000 or less is considered petit larceny and a class A misdemeanor. The penalty can be imprisonment up to a year; fine up to $1,000.

It obviously makes zero sense to do any sort of prison sentence but the fine can be of value. What the Buffalo News should have done, if they were reporters, is also look up how much a town like Cheektowaga charges and collects in fines for shoplifting. Going further, it would be really interesting, to do a town by town study on how fines are imposed. I would guess that some towns hammer shoplifters more than others and this in turn makes them less appealing places to steal.

I wonder if there is a way for the town to turn a profit on shoplifting? If not a profit, I wonder if a town could use fines as a deterrent.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I wonder if there is a way for the town to turn a profit on shoplifting? If not a profit, I wonder if a town could use fines as a deterrent.
    There would be a fair chance it wouldn't benefit the property owners. Some loyal Cheektowaga Democratic party support would become the new "Supervisor of Shop Lifting" at $75k + Bene's and pension plan.

We would have the gross more than the $116,000 in police cost and another $100,000 for someone's cousin in fines

There would be a fair chance it wouldn't benefit the property owners. Some loyal Cheektowaga Democratic party support would become the new "Supervisor of Shop Lifting" at $75k + Bene's and pension plan.

We would have the gross more than the $116,000 in police cost and another $100,000 for someone's cousin in fines
    Can't really debate how revenue is wasted....

Thread Information