Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Italian Festival moving to Outer Harbor add fee

Italian Festival moving to Outer Harbor add fee

I had to laugh when i heard this. We are adding a fee of $5 to get in the Italian festival to keep the thugs out reported by ch 7. are these politicans that dumb tugs have money OMG such idiots a another money grab. next will be charge for parking. wait until they move food festival to the outer harbor and charge for that. It's coming. These people are some of the biggest crooks in the area. these two goofballs lead the pack. The planned Italian Heritage Festival move was announced Tuesday in Mayor Byron W. Brown’s office in City Hall.

Among those praising the festival’s relocation were Robert D. Gioia, chairman of the Erie Canal Development Corp., and Jonathan A. Dandes, representing the agency’s Outer Harbor Management Group.

Italian Festival moving to Outer Harbor:The Italian Heritage Festival is moving to Buffalo’s Outer Harbor this summer.

The 40-year-old festival, which started on Connecticut Street on the West Side and then moved to Hertel Avenue 29 years ago, has outgrown the North Buffalo location, festival organizers said Tuesday.

The Outer Harbor location will provide more space and improved parking when the festival comes this summer, they said. The 2017 festival is scheduled for July 13-16.

“With the success we had on Hertel Avenue over the 30 years, we outgrew our space,” said Marco Sciortino, a spokesman for the festival and its sponsor, Galbani Cheese.
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

Quote Originally Posted by cheekman View Post
    I had to laugh when i heard this. We are adding a fee of $5 to get in the Italian festival to keep the thugs out reported by ch 7. are these politicans that dumb tugs have money OMG such idiots a another money grab. next will be charge for parking. wait until they move food festival to the outer harbor and charge for that. It's coming. These people are some of the biggest crooks in the area. these two goofballs lead the pack. The planned Italian Heritage Festival move was announced Tuesday in Mayor Byron W. Brown’s office in City Hall.

Among those praising the festival’s relocation were Robert D. Gioia, chairman of the Erie Canal Development Corp., and Jonathan A. Dandes, representing the agency’s Outer Harbor Management Group.

Italian Festival moving to Outer Harbor:The Italian Heritage Festival is moving to Buffalo’s Outer Harbor this summer.

The 40-year-old festival, which started on Connecticut Street on the West Side and then moved to Hertel Avenue 29 years ago, has outgrown the North Buffalo location, festival organizers said Tuesday.

The Outer Harbor location will provide more space and improved parking when the festival comes this summer, they said. The 2017 festival is scheduled for July 13-16.

“With the success we had on Hertel Avenue over the 30 years, we outgrew our space,” said Marco Sciortino, a spokesman for the festival and its sponsor, Galbani Cheese.

At least you're learning how to use punctuation. Baby steps.....

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekman View Post

Isn't that Discrimination against poor people ? I heard that their already filing lawsuit's because it's discrimination just like what happen by keeping the buses out of the Walden Galleria. Also their is no good access to the Out Harbor, but does that matter , They keep moving everything to the medical corridor and thier's not enough parking now. Wait to Childrens Hosp. & UB medical school moves their. LOL But again, it's Buffalo.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Jennifer7...

A group is filing a lawsuit because it's discrimination? Who did you hear that from seeing you are not in our local area?

First off there seems to be enough access to get to the outer harbor as it is. Not that more wouldn't hurt but people seem to get where they want to go.

I just wonder if the "festivals" will just start to feel like the festival the weekend before. Know what I mean?

One weekend it's "Italian Day", new weekend it's "Irish Day" and so on... Same location, same vendor layout no character added to the event because of the location.

Once the traffic is going to the "fill in the blank" food festival what will stop the harbor development group from taking over the festival pushing out the original organizing group? Then what happens are the small vendors that worked the events for years get pushed out and politically connected vendors get the work? I know business is business but it happens.

It's the city of Buffalo and it's just another street festival. Who cares where the hell it is held in the city. As long as it's not held where I live to bring a bunch of Guidos we don't need in town.

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer7 View Post
    Isn't that Discrimination against poor people ? I heard that their already filing lawsuit's because it's discrimination just like what happen by keeping the buses out of the Walden Galleria. Also their is no good access to the Out Harbor, but does that matter , They keep moving everything to the medical corridor and thier's not enough parking now. Wait to Childrens Hosp. & UB medical school moves their. LOL But again, it's Buffalo.
    Jennifer7..all the inner city folks need to do is hop on the doodis bus to the waterfront /downtown...no big deal..many using their bus passes...now the $5.00 fee..that's another issue!

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    It's the city of Buffalo and it's just another street festival. Who cares where the hell it is held in the city. As long as it's not held where I live to bring a bunch of Guidos we don't need in town.
    Considering it's been held where I lived for 9 years, it was the event of the summer. The residents of that stretch who didn't like it there are far and few between, trust me. A few days of parking inconvenience was well worth the festival right out your front door. The businesses along Hertel made a killing off the festival.

I think this is a horrible idea.
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by joe d. View Post
    Jennifer7..all the inner city folks need to do is hop on the doodis bus to the waterfront /downtown...no big deal..many using their bus passes...now the $5.00 fee..that's another issue!

Alot of people I know on on their Twitter, Facebook, Vine etc.. Are saying it's discrimination, Speaking of Facebook, Twitter, Vine, Pinterest. etc.. Their are more & more people that already left or in the process on leaving WNY, A ton are moving to NC, SC & other place's in June when their kids are done with school. I'm surprise it's not showing yet in the housing market because the population loss's are showing up and effecting everything else

WNY, I thought the issue you raise is exactly why they're doing it. High talker Hiigins wants everything moved to the inner harbor. That way he can sit by the door with his tin cup exacting a toll from everyone to participate. He's pretty much a pos.
    Last edited by grump; February 8th, 2017 at 10:37 PM.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I don't know about being a pos but I see what happens. What happens may be good for one group but there's always someone who loses.

Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    Considering it's been held where I lived for 9 years, it was the event of the summer. The residents of that stretch who didn't like it there are far and few between, trust me. A few days of parking inconvenience was well worth the festival right out your front door. The businesses along Hertel made a killing off the festival.

I think this is a horrible idea.
    They needed to shut down the festival early last year because of fights and gangs. Can't make money when nobody is there. Going to the outer harbor allows then to setup a perimeter and keep undesired elements out.

Besides, for the 1/5th Italians who live in the suburb...which is mostly what this festival is....driving to Hertel or the Outer Harbor does not matter.

I remember, I think it was in 1999 or 2000, there were a lot of gangs/fights, etc. THe locals called it the mooliefest that year. It was bad, but they stepped up security and it was better after that. It must have gotten out of hand again in recent years.

I know it's my own personal feelings but a big part of why I moved to Hertel in 1995 was to be right there for the fest year year.
    HipKat's Blog

I remember, I think it was in 1999 or 2000, there were a lot of gangs/fights, etc. THe locals called it the mooliefest that year. It was bad, but they stepped up security and it was better after that. It must have gotten out of hand again in recent years.

I know it's my own personal feelings but a big part of why I moved to Hertel in 1995 was to be right there for the fest year year.
    Forgot where I read it but 2 years ago they had issues. Last year they beefed up security but people didn't come back.

The thing to consider now in comparison to 1999 is there is a lot more to do for people in the summer in Buffalo. Also, the farther away you get from when Buffalo had an actual 'Italian' neighborhood the less loyalty you're going to have from people.

In 2017, you have the kids of the parents from 1999 taking their own kids to the festival. Another generation older and less loyalty. The parents now grew up in the burbs and the kids now only hear stories of their great-grandparents from the 'old neighborhood'..... Things are just diluted.

I suppose that's true. I've been gone for 11 years now. A lot can change
    HipKat's Blog

I suppose that's true. I've been gone for 11 years now. A lot can change
    I attended the Italian Festival last year...it was very crowded...could hardly maneuver down the street...DIDN'T see too many Italians though!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information