Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The result of "Fight for $15"

The result of "Fight for $15"

It's only the start.......
    Last edited by leftWNYbecauseofBS; February 6th, 2017 at 12:20 PM.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Automation happened in many industries. People have to realize they can price themselves out of existence.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Automation happened in many industries. People have to realize they can price themselves out of existence.

Read something over the weekend that AI is becoming better at picking stocks and managing money than humans.... So even the top is going to feel it.

Also read about a factory in China that went to robots. Productivity went up like 250% while errors went down like 80%.

Crazy times.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I've been reading about the AI stuff. Pretty impressive.

Took a walk at the Eastern Hills mall yesterday. They have 2 store that are antique co-ops. I always look for vintage Buffalo items. Specially vintage news papers.

The whole character of the mall is changed compared to 20 years ago. The internet did it in my opinion. Made the world smaller and far more competitive. I don't necessarily like how things changed but it is what it is.

there have been some interesting news stories out of AZ lately. School districts being hit hard by the increase, restaurants cutting hours, staff, and portion sizes. Waitresses complaining about less tips
    http://www.wmicentral.com/business/b...c7fb3ca34.html
    http://www.abc15.com/news/region-wes...-wage-increase
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

I've been reading about the AI stuff. Pretty impressive.

Took a walk at the Eastern Hills mall yesterday. They have 2 store that are antique co-ops. I always look for vintage Buffalo items. Specially vintage news papers.

The whole character of the mall is changed compared to 20 years ago. The internet did it in my opinion. Made the world smaller and far more competitive. I don't necessarily like how things changed but it is what it is.
    The owners of Eastern Hills have only themselves to blame for the decline of that property.

At the very least they should have looked at developing the outer parcels of the mall with outbuildings like places to eat or other types of retail. Hell, they could have added some mid-rise office towers and picked up some great tenants who instead built up in Amherst. They also did a horrible job of defining the 'style' of the mall as it relates to the demographics around it. They should have gone upscale 20 years ago. Now they can't.

Now, like the Blvd, I think the value is in the land and both malls need to be demolished and the entire parcels redeveloped.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    One obvious thing I saw is the reuse of old store decor. Usually when a mall business opens the space it remodeled to look like the new business. Now they are renting out with the same structure of the original business.

One obvious thing I saw is the reuse of old store decor. Usually when a mall business opens the space it remodeled to look like the new business. Now they are renting out with the same structure of the original business.
    That's just a clear sign of a dead mall.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    there have been some interesting news stories out of AZ lately. School districts being hit hard by the increase, restaurants cutting hours, staff, and portion sizes. Waitresses complaining about less tips
    http://www.wmicentral.com/business/b...c7fb3ca34.html
    http://www.abc15.com/news/region-wes...-wage-increase
    That's nothing, The business's just raised the price's on everything & cut the number of employees they had, The business owner's aren't going to make less profit to make up for the added increase of wage expenses, a LG Pizza , a Single order of Chicken Wings went up $3.00 to $3.50, Hamburgers went up $2.00, French Frys went up $1.50 etc...also most business's cut employees and employee's hours. At Fitness Centers they even have the General Manager's & District Manager's on the weekends working the front desk & checking people in and the increase in AZ is no where near $15/hr. and the old prices weren't the high in the first place, Most LG Pizza's were 5 to 10 bucks now their 8 bucks to $13.50, single order of wings was 5 to 6 bucks, now is $8 to $9.50, a $2,00 to $2.50 a hamburger is now $4.00 to $4.50
    Last edited by jennifer7; February 6th, 2017 at 03:47 PM.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Wendy’s Installing Self-Order Kiosks in 1,000 Stores to Cut Labor Costs

Fast-food restaurant chain Wendy’s will install self-order kiosks at 1,000 stores across the country by the end of 2017 to trim extra labor costs imposed by minimum wage hikes, NJ Advance Media reported.

Wendy’s said it already offered to install kiosks in several locations last year and has received positive feedback from customers and franchisees who say they want more of the service.

The company said the kiosks, which cost about $15,000 each, would reduce labor costs and appeal to younger customers. Other companies, including Panera Bread, say the kiosks increase employees’ productivity and are especially valuable during lunchtime and other rush-hours.
    http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm..._medium=social

Wendy’s Installing Self-Order Kiosks in 1,000 Stores to Cut Labor Costs
    The typical Wendy's is open 7 days a week for 14hrs a day. Close for a handful of holidays and that's 5040 hours per year. A single kiosk costs $15,000 add in 10% for service and you're looking at $21,000 over the first three years. That works out to $1.38 per hour.

Not a hard choice to make actually.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    And if the end product in the bag is the same the consumer won't care. There will still be people who like the face to face service but not as many as one would think. If this was the case you would not have billions of dollars in sales on the internet.

And if the end product in the bag is the same the consumer won't care. There will still be people who like the face to face service but not as many as one would think. If this was the case you would not have billions of dollars in sales on the internet.
    The product in the bag may actually be better.

1 - Order errors will go down as it's the customer who places the order.

2 - Places can invest more in staff for the kitchen, which in turn, will improve what comes out of the kitchen.

Now they just need to work on bluetooth ordering from an app to avoid the drive through or improve that.

And to think it all started with self serve gas.....

I typically do not use the self checkouts. It has caused me to stop shopping at TOPS since my local store closes ALL staffed lines at 9 pm. In contrast, Wegmans closes their self checkouts around that time.

I wonder where my discount is for using the self checkout. I'm not paying for a clerk, why should I not save?

b.b.

Quote Originally Posted by BorderBob View Post
    And to think it all started with self serve gas.....

I typically do not use the self checkouts. It has caused me to stop shopping at TOPS since my local store closes ALL staffed lines at 9 pm. In contrast, Wegmans closes their self checkouts around that time.

I wonder where my discount is for using the self checkout. I'm not paying for a clerk, why should I not save?
    It's about saving time...which to many actually has a value placed on it. You're free to wait in line, have someone ring you out and they will even load your car for you...at no additional cost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information