Thread: Trump signs orders on trade, hiring, abortion

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Trump signs orders on trade, hiring, abortion

Trump signs orders on trade, hiring, abortion

WASHINGTON — President Trump signed three presidential directives Monday, withdrawing U.S. support for a Pacific trade deal, imposing a hiring freeze in civilian agencies, and restoring the so-called Mexico City policy that prohibits U.S. aid from supporting international groups that promote abortion.

"Everybody knows what I'm about to do," Trump said before withdrawing from the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a 13-nation trade deal signed by the Obama administration but not ratified by the Senate. "We’ve been talking about this for a long time. A great thing for the American worker, what we just did."

When Chief of Staff Reince Priebus handed him an order directing a hiring freeze, Trump emphasized, "Except for the military."
    http://www.wgrz.com/news/politics/tr...tion/391307574

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    "Everybody knows what I'm about to do," Trump said before withdrawing from the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a 13-nation trade deal signed by the Obama administration but not ratified by the Senate. "We’ve been talking about this for a long time. A great thing for the American worker, what we just did."
    In your opinion is this something in our best interest?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    When Chief of Staff Reince Priebus handed him an order directing a hiring freeze, Trump emphasized, "Except for the military."
    I don't see an issue with this.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Restoring the so-called Mexico City policy that prohibits U.S. aid from supporting international groups that promote abortion.
    Why would anyone have an issue with this one?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Why would anyone have an issue with this one?
    Because it's putting his personal views ahead of the law. Abortion is still legal.
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I don't see an issue with this.
    On it's face a hiring freeze sounds good but it is not always the case because current employees are asked to do more with less. As someone that works directly with governmental reviewing agencies I can say that many of them already run pretty tight since the last round of budget cuts and if no one replaces someone that retires or moves on it ends up causing delays in the review process which are extremely frustrating on the private side of things.

I'd be more supportive of language that states no expansion of governmental agencies then I would of no hiring. The hiring freeze is something that can make everyone feel good but doesn't really get to any real assessment of how agencies function, which ones are over bloated and wasteful, which ones need expansion, etc. etc.

Instead of the government workers kicking it up a notch to do more with less, they'll probably drag their arses even more than they do now to make their point of needing more staff, JMHO

Georgia L Schlager

The federal government has way too many managers and not enough front line workers. Managers are mostly responsible for collecting statistics to justify budget request for the upcoming fiscal year rather than managing their agency's work and employees.

Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    Because it's putting his personal views ahead of the law. Abortion is still legal.
    Not using taxpayer dollars for abortion is also legal.

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Restoring the so-called Mexico City policy that prohibits U.S. aid from supporting international groups that promote abortion.

He's removing funds that go to groups that "prohibits U.S. aid from supporting international groups that promote abortion"

From what you said isn't this a given?

Shouldn't the international groups "personal views" not be funded as well?

The hiring freeze is theater, alternative facts. Federal employment as a percentage of total employment is at its lowest point in 50 years. Now some of it is impacted by automation and technology, but you won't see a doubling of the Border Patrol, a Trump pledge nor increases in DRO (deportation). No additional CBPO's at the ports (bridges). I can't speak for the other parts of the LE community.

b.b.

Trump is wrong on the environment,, and maybe he should read the book Freakonomics on abortion. It's eye opening.

but the federal gov't has no business paying for it, especially overseas
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Thread Information