Thread: Cuomo blasts municipalities over property taxes

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Cuomo blasts municipalities over property taxes

ALBANY -- Saying local governments do not want to cut costs, Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Tuesday proposed forcing them to put efficiency plans on the ballot in November for voters to decide.

Cuomo has railed against what he claims is duplicity in local governments, charging that the state has cut costs but local leaders haven't.

On Tuesday, he stepped up his fight, proposing that county executives be required to develop plans to cut property taxes and put the plans to a public vote -- a bid to make the changes binding.
    http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/new-y...axes/384845284

"I understand the instinct, but we cannot afford it any longer."
    Don't we need the State Constitution changed so we can stop the monopolies of services small groups of people have throughout NYS?

In the history of New York there may have been a bigger ******* to serve as governor, his father come immediately to mind, but this guy is a real piece of work. He doesn't understand the first thing about local governments or how they operate but he continues divert attention from the highest state taxes in the United States by trying to blame local governments. It wasn't a local government that decided to piss away 3/4 of a billion $$ of our tax dollars on an idiotic solar panel plant to make a product that no one wants and that hasn't created a single job.

aren't county property taxes primarily used to cover unfunded state mandates like our rolls royce medicaid programs?
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Well, the taxes cover county costs of which Medicaid is certainly the largest. They're not dedicated to Medicaid though.

I remember prior county officials stating that medicaid ate up most of the property tax levy, but I don't remember how long ago that was. I did find this article, but is over ten years old so percentages have likely changed

http://www.ppinys.org/reports/medicd99.htm
    In rural counties, Medicaid and other social-services costs soak up almost all of the county property-tax revenues; Livingston County, for example, puts the figure at 80 percent.

The burden is high even in urbanized counties with other expensive services. Erie County's Division of Budget, Management & Finance recently calculated that the county's property tax could be reduced by 45 to 55 percent if Medicaid costs were equivalent to those in similar counties in other states.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    In the history of New York there may have been a bigger ******* to serve as governor, his father come immediately to mind, but this guy is a real piece of work. He doesn't understand the first thing about local governments or how they operate but he continues divert attention from the highest state taxes in the United States by trying to blame local governments. It wasn't a local government that decided to piss away 3/4 of a billion $$ of our tax dollars on an idiotic solar panel plant to make a product that no one wants and that hasn't created a single job.

This issue is ALL levels of government. We have too many self serving people in elected seats to start with. We see this in Albany each time we see corruption issues.

Or we have idiots in government who don't realize or simply don't care that they are spending other people's money when it comes to labor contracts or general spending.

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    I remember prior county officials stating that medicaid ate up most of the property tax levy, but I don't remember how long ago that was. I did find this article, but is over ten years old so percentages have likely changed

http://www.ppinys.org/reports/medicd99.htm
    From January 2015 article-

The most extreme example is Erie County, where 97 percent of the county property taxes go to Medicaid
    http://cityandstateny.com/articles/p...l#.WHafofArLMw

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    thanks. That number sounded closer to what I remembered hearing in the past

Thread Information