Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dealing with hyper children?

Wink Dealing with hyper children?

If anyone wants to add anything please feel free.

1) look for ways in the morning before school to get out energy. A mini trampoline is handy to have in the house. They have safety ones that fold up or blow up ones. Use a timer and have the child jump on it for 10 minutes before school.

2) is there an issues with aggression. Find appropriate ways to get that out, if the child is older use a punching bag have them train like a boxer. If the child is younger get one of those blow up punching things or blow up. Another thing to do is get bop its that fit on the hand have fight time with them.

3) Having trouble getting them to sit in the car. Try a fidget toy like a Kosh ball or just google the term fidget toy and you will come across some great things. Silly putty is another good thing to help them sit. Hand held video games work too, but a kid can get motion sickness from that in the car (depending on the child).

4) If they have issues with transitions, I highly recommend getting a timer to help. For example if you are having trouble getting them to sit at the dinner table, try setting a timer for 10 minutes and tell them they have to stay until it dings. I recommend a digital timer that they can have right near them. It will take the child a few days to get use to that system but once they are comfortable with the concept set the timer for a little longer, go for 12 minutes and eventually work your way up to 20 minutes. Usually if a child is sitting for 20 minutes and hasn't finished their dinner they will want to stay at the table until there food is gone.
    pt2 if the timer doesn't work try a lap buddy or a balance disk for them to sit on. They may just need some input to help them sit. A weighted vest can work too.

5) Watch their diet and see what is in the food. You'd be surprised at what has caffine in it. Also the dyes in food can make kids hyper. It gives some kids a "high" like a drug.

6) HEAVY WORK!!!!!! I can not tell you enough the benefits of heavy work for any kid, let alone a hyper kid. Have them move the vacuum. Have them shovel snow. Have them carry a laundry basket. Have them push you around in a chair with wheels, kids love that one.

7) Messy play after dinner can help a child relax before bed. Play dough is good and the different toys that can go with play dough can double as heavy work. We have this burger playdough set and my son presses hard with it, it has a crank that he has to use his muscles for that makes play dough french fries.

8) Never underestimate aroma therapy. Lavender lotion at night makes a world of difference at bed time.

9) Music helps too. Find what music calms them. We listen to Mozart, Radio head and these cds call Rock away babies. The rockaway baby is rock music done as classical, we have a mix one of pink floyd and radio head. Obviously after school you want them to run around and get energy out, i highly recommend anything by Laurie Berkner! We also like Django Reinhardt. But I haven't come across one kid under 6 who doesn't just LOOOOOOOOOOOve the Laurie Berkner band.

10) Outside outside outside outside outside. If your child catches the bus, try to get them out just 10 minutes early so they can play in the snow for a little bit before they have to get to school.

****I know from first hand experience that raising a hyper child is a challenge but it can be fun. Keep a positive attitude and always explore new ways to get that energy out. Your attitude is everything and will make the difference in how your child behaves in life. It's exausting but if you have a positive attitude you will see it's a blessing in disguise***
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    A big hampster wheel. Burn off a lot of energy with one of those..

I was a hyper kid. Get them into hobbies.

That's actually a good one..

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    A big hampster wheel. Burn off a lot of energy with one of those..

I was a hyper kid. Get them into hobbies.
    I know you were partially joking but we had a blow up thing that resemebled a hamster wheel it was the best thing ever before it popped. it wasn't attached like a hamster wheel and my son would roll around the house.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Whiskey!
    I thought all kids were hyper.....
    Id be worried if they weren't!
    Mark Twain:
    Surely the ass who invented the first religion ought to be the first ass damned
    Faith is believing in that which I know ain't so.

Stay away from sugary cereals in the morning. High protein breakfasts (like scrambled eggs) help students focus.
    1 Corinthians 13:1 "If I speak in the languages of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."

Quote Originally Posted by Bannister View Post
    Stay away from sugary cereals in the morning. High protein breakfasts (like scrambled eggs) help students focus.
    Thanks for the tip. I did not know that, although it makes sense when you think about it. Sugar makes kids hyper then crash. Should I give them milk instead of juice in the morning before school? My kids usually want apple juice and water in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I did not know that, although it makes sense when you think about it. Sugar makes kids hyper then crash. Should I give them milk instead of juice in the morning before school? My kids usually want apple juice and water in the morning.
    I really don't see much nutritional value to apple juice. I think milk or water would be a better choice.
    1 Corinthians 13:1 "If I speak in the languages of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."

Guns! Give them guns and send them to Albany.

actually from my understanding if a child is truly hyper or has add I should say, caffeine will do more good than harm. Caffeine works as a stimulant with these kids as does the meds that are prescribed for them and they can focus better in school. The problem is that the caffeine wears off faster than meds do.

why people who have children that have add or adhd do not offer the medication to the child are a disgrace as far as I am concerned. I wonder how that same parent would not medicate if the child had diabetes. I am not targeting anyone here - I am speaking of children diagnosed with add or adhd.
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

Quote Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
    actually from my understanding if a child is truly hyper or has add I should say, caffeine will do more good than harm. Caffeine works as a stimulant with these kids as does the meds that are prescribed for them and they can focus better in school. The problem is that the caffeine wears off faster than meds do.

why people who have children that have add or adhd do not offer the medication to the child are a disgrace as far as I am concerned. I wonder how that same parent would not medicate if the child had diabetes. I am not targeting anyone here - I am speaking of children diagnosed with add or adhd.
    I think in some cases it's a bit more complicated than medicating the child. My son is too young to be diagnosed with add/adhd but the fact that he is a "seeker" makes me think there is a chance he could have add/adhd. I have been reading about it a bit, it's actually pretty complicated. Add/adhd is almost a spectrum thing. There is different variants of it and in some children the cause is a food allergy. Some kids medication doesn't help. I know for a fact caffeine makes my son way more hyper, i accidently gave it to him once (he has never had pop). I bought the minute maid energy juice for myself and he poured a glass of it for himself. He was off the wall even more so then ever.

However I must say the sensory diet and heavy work has mellowed him out. I don't think I will ever need to medicate him as long as I keep him busy. I know ways to get him to calm down and look at books. Heavy work makes a world of difference. He wears a weighted vest at school it helps him sit, it really does help him I guess. They also have weighted blankets and lap buddies. Another thing that helps is a tactile disk or a balance disk. There is a ton of ways to help kids with out meds. Not every kid is the same, some kids need meds, others don't.

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    I think in some cases it's a bit more complicated than medicating the child. My son is too young to be diagnosed with add/adhd but the fact that he is a "seeker" makes me think there is a chance he could have add/adhd. I have been reading about it a bit, it's actually pretty complicated. Add/adhd is almost a spectrum thing. There is different variants of it and in some children the cause is a food allergy. Some kids medication doesn't help. I know for a fact caffeine makes my son way more hyper, i accidently gave it to him once (he has never had pop). I bought the minute maid energy juice for myself and he poured a glass of it for himself. He was off the wall even more so then ever.

However I must say the sensory diet and heavy work has mellowed him out. I don't think I will ever need to medicate him as long as I keep him busy. I know ways to get him to calm down and look at books. Heavy work makes a world of difference. He wears a weighted vest at school it helps him sit, it really does help him I guess. They also have weighted blankets and lap buddies. Another thing that helps is a tactile disk or a balance disk. There is a ton of ways to help kids with out meds. Not every kid is the same, some kids need meds, others don't.
    people that do not have add or adhd do not need or respond on the meds nor will the caffiene work for them - so it does not sound like your son as this disability. BUT those that do, usually respond well.
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

I had a hyper child,

and what I found worked, warm milk at night or believe it or not banana's makes a child calm.

Keep the child to 10 minutes on the computer or those video games.

Take ketchup away, makes kids hyper as well as apple juice. Get white grape.

Transitions are difficult but try to make them smooth and swift.

Don't complicate things, make choices simple and choices you as a parent can live by.

Rewards and consequences: use a chart, reward most by praise and not really by gifts..gifts become a manulative tool. Consequence that is doable, and follow through.

I can go on for ever with this. Taught it and lived it. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
    The medication for ADHD is contraindicated in children with congenital heart defects, so that's one reason some kids aren't medicated (my son included).

However, studies show that many children who have ADHD and do not receive medication for it, grow up to self medicate with alcohol or drugs when they're older.

However, studies show that many children who have ADHD and do not receive medication for it, grow up to self medicate with alcohol or drugs when they're older.
    The self medicating is caused by parents, teachers, and a society who constantly bark at a kid and force them to conform to the lies, hypocrisy, and BORDOM that adults seem to think is the healthy way to live!

You pro-pill poppers have no idea what the hell you are doing!

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    and what I found worked, warm milk at night or believe it or not banana's makes a child calm.

Keep the child to 10 minutes on the computer or those video games.

Take ketchup away, makes kids hyper as well as apple juice. Get white grape.

Transitions are difficult but try to make them smooth and swift.

Don't complicate things, make choices simple and choices you as a parent can live by.

Rewards and consequences: use a chart, reward most by praise and not really by gifts..gifts become a manulative tool. Consequence that is doable, and follow through.

I can go on for ever with this. Taught it and lived it. Good luck

We use timers for transitions. It really helps. Something my son's school was doing with him that I carried over to home. I am on a timed 10 minute mommy break right now. They are actually quietly looking at books believe it or not.

It always helps if your child gets a service like ot or if they are in a special class to know what the teachers are doing and to duplicate what you can at home. My son's teacher and I have a communication notebook. We write to each other a few times a week. His therapist write in it too.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information