Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with hyper children?

Quote Originally Posted by NBuffaloResident View Post
    Also, for those with MS. Reduces the symptoms (Extreme pain in limbs and joints, tremors, etc) to non-existent, or in the worst case, more manageable.

Also, the fail-safe: Glaucoma. It's been shown to reduce the intraocular pressure to a safe level.
    Oh yes, you are right about that, I forgot~~works wonders in glaucoma. Right on Buff.

Also, for those with MS. Reduces the symptoms (Extreme pain in limbs and joints, tremors, etc) to non-existent, or in the worst case, more manageable.

Also, the fail-safe: Glaucoma. It's been shown to reduce the intraocular pressure to a safe level.
    I have heard it being used for people who have anorexia. When i say anorexia i don't necessarily mean the girls starving themselves thin (it can help with that too though), i am talking about people who can't control it. For whatever reason medical, psychological, or whatever, in some cases it can be used to help people like that.

I am looking for an article i read about a woman who gave her teen son marijuana because he was anorexic along with autistic, he was the size of a 7 year old because he wasn't eating. Apparently just once a week she would give it to him and he began thriving. Even if your skeptical, it's still interesting to read.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Here is something from an autism research group

http://www.autism.com/treatable/drug/marijuana_org.htm

I don't know if I would do this but I also don't have a child with autism, so who knows what i would do unless i was in the situation. (i never like to say i would or wouldn't do something because you never know until you are in the situation.

Autism and Medical Marijuana

Some families have found marijuana (mmj) to be nothing short of miraculous. Some of the symptoms MMJ has ameliorated include anxiety--even severe anxiety--aggression, panic disorder, generalized rage, tantrums, property destruction and self-injurious behavior.
    One mother's comments:

"I know it's not the end all answer but it's been the best answer for the longest time for us in regards to ALL the other medications. I cannot tell you how many months we would go on a medication wondering if it was doing anything, anything at all. Here we can see the difference in 30-60 minutes guaranteed."
    Another:

"My son (who is almost nine years of age) has been on medications to address his severe autistic behaviors including aggression and throwing fits over trivial issues in the environment. He has been difficult to instruct due to these behaviors. None of the medications has ever made a difference, except for making his behaviors worse. He has been through the whole range starting at three and a half with ritalin and dexedrine, and going through prozac, paxil, clonidine, naltrexone, adderall and risperdal. Finally, we gave up on medications and decided to manage his behaviors through behavioral techniques. We had mixed results.

A few months ago we tried the prescription drug Marinol and noticed a drop in the severe episodes, no fits and little to no aggression towards his teacher and family members on a daily basis. A few weeks ago we started him on cannabis and stopped the Marinol. He has been in a much better mood and is much easier to keep on task in the classroom now. There has not been a major fit since he started the Marinol, and the cannabis seems to work just as well with his behaviors and he is now much more easier for his therapists to manage during instruction.

It is not a cure, but just a tool to make things go smoother and prevent disruptions in his learning. He still has days when he gets angry and moody, but we can adjust the dose to help him through those days. It is such a mild medication and there are no long term side effects that can damage the body's organs. I feel much more comfortable administering cannabis) than something like risperdal.

Autism is an unpredictable disorder and even though major behaviors are constants, autistic people have different degrees of their behaviors from day to day. We can tell when he might need an extra dose to get him through a rough day, and due to the fact that there is no toxic overdose, we do not have to be overly concerned with safety issues."

--From a less stressed out mom
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Again I am not telling people who have children with autism to try this. NY state it's not even legalized for medical purposes. I just am posting this for informational purposes.

Another article..

Again, this treatment is not for every child labeled adhd, I don't even know how i feel about giving it to a child. Again this is an extreme situation..

Recipe For Trouble
    Is It A Crime To Give A Child Marijuana To Control Violent Outbursts?

By Mary Jayne McKay

CBS) Debbie Jeffries of Rocklin, Calif., and her mother, Lorraine, love to cook. Lorraine has even published a cookbook, "50 Years Of Our Favorite Family Recipes."

But what they are whipping up these days isn’t in your average cookbook, reports 48 Hours correspondent Harold Dow. They’re making marijuana - medical marijuana - for Debbie’s son, Jeff.

Using marijuana as a medicine is not unusual in California. Five years ago, voters passed a law allowing patients with serious illnesses, such as AIDS and cancer, to use marijuana for pain, if a doctor approves. But this case is unusual because the patient is 8 years old.

"Jeff has been diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, which is ADHD; oppositional defiant disorder; conduct disorder; intermittent explosive disorder; bipolar disorder - any disorder you can think of," says Debbie, a single mother.

The disorders often lead Jeff to violent, uncontrollable outbursts.

"We’ve had to call the police," Debbie says. "I have woken up to a knife in my back. He used to stab the dogs next door. The teachers were afraid of Jeffrey. He picked up a chair and threw it at a teacher."

Doctors first started Jeffrey on Ritalin at age 3 and began adding other medications over the years, as nothing seemed to stop the outbursts.

"He was a walking pharmaceutical lab," Debbie says. "It was incredible. And nothing was working."

Debbie grew desperate last May when officials issued a deadline: Get Jeff under control in 30 days, or he would be placed under the care of the county.

That led her to an Internet article on how marijuana calms the brain and to Dr. Mike Alkalay, a pediatrician who believes in the medical powers of the drug marijuana.

"This medication has been around for 5,000 years," Alkalay says. "It's basically a Chinese herbal plant that's been used in the Middle East. It's been used in India. It's a very safe medication."

Alkalay admits 8-year-old Jeff isn’t the typical patient to receive marijuana but agreed, without seeing him, to recommend Jeff take the drug.

The decision to try marijuana shocked Debbie’s parents, Ken and Lorraine.

"There was absolutely no way I was for it," says Ken, who describes himself as a conservative. Lorraine adds, "It caused quite a bit of strife in our household."

The results were immediate.

"Within a half hour," Debbie says, "I looked over at Jeffrey, and he just had this smile about him, this glow, and he said, 'Mommy, I feel happy.' And that’s the first time that he’s ever said that."

Just how the marijuana is helping Jeff is not completely clear. "His brainwaves don't connect the way ours do," Debbie says of her son. "The marijuana is allowing him, somehow. It's filling in the gap in there for him, so he is learning how to manage his anger."

But Child Protective Services had a different opinion, and they opened an investigation. Debbie says they are accusing her of being an unfit mother and putting her son at risk.

Part of the problem is that Dr. Alkalay never saw Jeff before prescribing him the marijuana. The doctor says he was comfortable with that because "I know it's a very safe medication."

Child Protective Services is taking Debbie to court where a judge could stop Debbie from giving marijuana to her son. If that happens, Debbie says she won’t be able to control him, and will lose her son to the custody of the state.

"I’m not a criminal," says Debbie. "I’m a mother who cares for her child and will do anything to help her child."

The Result

In just under an hour at a closed-session juvenile court hearing, the judge dismissed the case against Debbie.

"I can’t even express how excited I am," she says. "It's been proven that what I'm doing to Jeffrey isn't a crime."

The decision to allow a child like Jeff access to medical marijuana may have far-reaching consequences.

"It opens up a whole door for parents who have been through what I've been through," says Debbie.

I find it interesting that one doctor who disagreed said that it is a drug he could easily become addicted to. Stimulants are the same thing, that's why it's called a controlled substance.

hey, I don't have an autistic child, but I would do anything to help my children if I found out it would help them.
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

Even funnier is the doctor even stating one can become addicted to marijuana. It's impossible.

THC is not a physically addictive chemical. It's not an opiate, and doesn't block any neurotransmitters.

It was nothing but an uninformed statement. You have as much chance to become addicted to THC as you do chocolate. More so with chocolate, due to the caffeine content (Among other chemicals at work).

Drug Policy Alliance Network

"Smoked daily will develop dependence on marijuana (smaller minority). Marijuana does not cause physical dependence but do experience withdrawal symtoms. Marijuana that varies quite substantially in potency produces similiar psychoactive effects."

Also noted, that in children, they do not regain full function of the brain after long term use of marijuana.

I get that some of you are intriqued by the use, but there is potential dangers and in extreme causes marijuana use is great to treat nausia and in severe cases of illnesses.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    "Smoked daily will develop dependence on marijuana (smaller minority). Marijuana does not cause physical dependence but do experience withdrawal symtoms. Marijuana that varies quite substantially in potency produces similiar psychoactive effects."

Also noted, that in children, they do not regain full function of the brain after long term use of marijuana.

I get that some of you are intriqued by the use, but there is potential dangers and in extreme causes marijuana use is great to treat nausia and in severe cases of illnesses.
    But if a child is starving to death, it wouldn't matter to much. Ok sure you can put them on a feeding tube BUT what's the quality of life then. I don't really think marijuana does as much damage to the brain that we are told, but i could be wrong. For arguments sake we are saying it does cause brain damage to some degree, if a child isn't getting any form of nourishment that is also damaging to the brain. Also they could die from that lack of nourishment. What's worse a kid who is a little slow witted or a kid who is dead, or even a child who has to have feeding tube for the rest of their lives. It's one of those lesser evil kind of things.

I am thinking of this in terms of last option. Again I am no expert in this, so i am not someone who should be taken seriously like I have a degree in anything.

Quote Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
    I find it interesting that one doctor who disagreed said that it is a drug he could easily become addicted to. Stimulants are the same thing, that's why it's called a controlled substance.

hey, I don't have an autistic child, but I would do anything to help my children if I found out it would help them.
    Exactly.. I have heard of doctors giving ativan and valium to some children. Those substances are way more addicting and can have serious side effects during withdrawal.

Even funnier is the doctor even stating one can become addicted to marijuana. It's impossible.

THC is not a physically addictive chemical. It's not an opiate, and doesn't block any neurotransmitters.

It was nothing but an uninformed statement. You have as much chance to become addicted to THC as you do chocolate. More so with chocolate, due to the caffeine content (Among other chemicals at work).
    The dyes in foods are terrible for children and are addicting.

Give a child a danimals smoothie and watch their pupils dilate. I swear to god, it's like kiddie crack. I think they have a few dyes in them. Also if a child has a food allergy or food intolerance, it can make the kid feel like they are high. Their immunity system is "fighting" infection and it's affecting their brain. It's sort of like having a cold and how it can effect your brain without the physical symptoms.

I'd like to see the peer reviewed studies done by a non-partisan group that show that.

I smoked a lot of weed back in the day. Never after stopping have I experienced withdrawals or brain function loss. In fact, I graduated college two years ago with a 4.0, 1 year sooner than expected.

And, I have yet to encounter anyone who has experienced any of the withdrawals (Which, are impossible if there is no chemical dependency) or loss of brain function.

I'd like to see the peer reviewed studies done by a non-partisan group that show that.

I smoked a lot of weed back in the day. Never after stopping have I experienced withdrawals or brain function loss. In fact, I graduated college two years ago with a 4.0, 1 year sooner than expected.

And, I have yet to encounter anyone who has experienced any of the withdrawals (Which, are impossible if there is no chemical dependency) or loss of brain function.
    Hey Buddy, well good for you that you had no problems. It is not a proclusion of any sense. So chill out here is the places to view the information:

~~~Marijuana Health Facts
    ~~Author Jim Parker
    ~~~~~"Do It Now Foundation"

Also: Go to Facts & Myths

Also go to: Marijuana Use Takes Toll on Adolecent Brain

Just goole this information. And bingo

Hey Buddy, well good for you that you had no problems. It is not a proclusion of any sense. So chill out here is the places to view the information:

~~~Marijuana Health Facts
    ~~Author Jim Parker
    ~~~~~"Do It Now Foundation"

Also: Go to Facts & Myths

Also go to: Marijuana Use Takes Toll on Adolecent Brain

Just goole this information. And bingo
    The FDA defines narcotic. And the FDA put marijuana in that category. The FDA is government. Government is corrupt and controlling.

Marijuana is nature. Nature is balance. Balance doesnt hurt anybody until narrow minded conformists take away someone right to balance themselves, think freely, and live a more enlightened life than those who cant control their emotions and allow their feeeeeelings to be hurt when others are smarter than them whether using marijuana or not.

Anti-marijuana people are just jealous fear mongerers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvan View Post
    The FDA defines narcotic. And the FDA put marijuana in that category. The FDA is government. Government is corrupt and controlling.

Marijuana is nature. Nature is balance. Balance doesnt hurt anybody until narrow minded conformists take away someone right to balance themselves, think freely, and live a more enlightened life than those who cant control their emotions and allow their feeeeeelings to be hurt when others are smarter than them whether using marijuana or not.

Anti-marijuana people are just jealous fear mongerers.
    Whatever syl...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information