Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with hyper children?

interesting article

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/24/he...well.html?_r=1

This talks about how recess can improve students performance.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Forer Effect (aka Barum Effect after P.T. Barnum's observation that "we've got something for everyone.") is the observation that individuals will give high accuracy ratings to descriptions of their personality that supposedly are tailored specificially for them, but are in fact vague & general enough to apply to a wide range of people."

That is exactly the format of observation. What also applies is patterns of behavior may make an observational comment too. Like Sylvan, he is pretty much consistant with his comments.

You are new, I did read that you were in the US Army , 1st squadron. You are an honorable person. That was just an opinion.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    To me this idea has some merit but then again I haven't read many studies on it. I don't think the lesson plan needs to be tailored to the child's personality, but i do think that surroundings and the way it is taught should fit specifically per child. I think it has more to do with a child's neurological system than personality. Some children need silence to concentrate and read, other children work better with noise, etc etc.
    The "Forer Effect" has negative connotations. When a category of people are described in terms so broad it can apply to anyone, it then describes nothing.

Horoscopes, for example. They are generally so broad they can't help but be correct in 80% of the population reading it.

Boy Dem, I bet you didn't expect this kind of responses. Of course recess plays an intrical role in child development. It develops mind body and soul. The benefit is intrinsint (sp). More schools are starting to realize the benefits of recess, and also some schools are trying out having children stand during lessons. It keeps the child aware of their movements and this triggers responses to the brain, hense causes tiredness~~the healthy kind.

Quote Originally Posted by NBuffaloResident View Post
    Thanks

The "Forer Effect" has negative connotations. When a category of people are described in terms so broad it can apply to anyone, it then describes nothing.

Horoscopes, for example. They are generally so broad they can't help but be correct in 80% of the population reading it.
    Buff you are too much!

Okay so then isnt it worth it for a parent whose been told by doctors their child has a disorder and needs medication to look into indigo as another resource to prove there really isnt anything wrong with the child? Doctors wont say, "pay more attention, or be a better parent" because their job is to sell appointments and drugs. Whereas maybe indigo information offers an alternative that a parent will resinate with.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvan View Post
    Okay so then isnt it worth it for a parent whose been told by doctors their child has a disorder and needs medication to look into indigo as another resource to prove there really isnt anything wrong with the child? Doctors wont say, "pay more attention, or be a better parent" because their job is to sell appointments and drugs. Whereas maybe indigo information offers an alternative that a parent will resinate with.
    The problem is that most people with resonate with it. It's a category so broad, that it can describe almost anyone.

The problem is that most people with resonate with it. It's a category so broad, that it can describe almost anyone.
    Okay I think you reenforced my point, that the coventional opinion (and invention) of ADD and ADHD are just a lie to sell drugs to an incompetent parent, and so teachers dont have to do the job they get paid for?

Okay I think you reenforced my point, that the coventional opinion (and invention) of ADD and ADHD are just a lie to sell drugs to an incompetent parent, and so teachers dont have to do the job they get paid for?
    Well, not quite (IMHO). A person with ADD or ADHD is easily identified. If caffeine relaxes a person, rather than acting as a stimulant; then they have ADHD. If it doesn't act in that way, then ADHD is not the issue.

However, I do strongly feel people are over-diagnosed. Very much so. And I do think Ritalin is not the answer for every case of ADHD (Let alone, every excitable person).

Well, not quite (IMHO). A person with ADD or ADHD is easily identified. If caffeine relaxes a person, rather than acting as a stimulant; then they have ADHD. If it doesn't act in that way, then ADHD is not the issue.

However, I do strongly feel people are over-diagnosed. Very much so. And I do think Ritalin is not the answer for every case of ADHD (Let alone, every excitable person).
    But not all cases of add/adhd involve hyperactivity. From my understanding some children are unorganized and inattentive but not hyper, but lack energy. It's a spectrum disorder sort of.

If you look at that article I just posted a link too, it talks about how students attention is better when they get more recess time and out door time.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

From Wikapedia

Indigo Children~~is a new age concept developed by Nancy Ann Tappe describing children who are alleged to possess special traits or abilities. Parents prefer to believe that their child is special.

You cannot really relate this theory to ADHD. They believe that Indigo children are of a new evolutionary "child". ADHD has been a dumping ground diagnosis for children who are active, or children who has processing disorder.

Ritalin is a potent drug, they are finding years later that children have serious side effects. Parents need to be absolutely sure that it is the "drug of choice."

If marijuana was legalized, all of societies problems would just go away.

no my friend, not ALL of those problems would go away if it was legalized, but that would be great.

HOWEVER I do agree that marijuana helps "some" people with add or adhd focus better - I've seen it with my own eyes. I think there is legislation in ca to make it medically available to some with the diagnosis.

I have add myself and it would not be a good choice for me at all. When I was in younger instead of helping me focus, it made me more tired and lazy, veg out munchies etc etc. I suppose the same (opposite) could be said for the stimulants (they make you lose appetite) - so they each have side effects.

marijuana is a drug too you know, I am just saying. and if you dont grow it yourself, it most likely is sprayed with something else.

Every drug reacts differently on different people.
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

Quote Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
    no my friend, not ALL of those problems would go away if it was legalized, but that would be great.

HOWEVER I do agree that marijuana helps "some" people with add or adhd focus better - I've seen it with my own eyes. I think there is legislation in ca to make it medically available to some with the diagnosis.

I have add myself and it would not be a good choice for me at all. When I was in younger instead of helping me focus, it made me more tired and lazy, veg out munchies etc etc. I suppose the same (opposite) could be said for the stimulants (they make you lose appetite) - so they each have side effects.

marijuana is a drug too you know, I am just saying. and if you dont grow it yourself, it most likely is sprayed with something else.

Every drug reacts differently on different people.
    I pretty much agree with everything you said. People do react differently to it, like any drug, it could help one person's ailment while another person it could create the same ailment. I have a friend it helps with depression and anxiety problems, another who it causes depression and anxiety when they smoke it.

I have read it has medical benefits for people with aspergers too. It helps them to relax in social situations. Also many with aspergers and adhd have difficulties with eating and it can help with that. I don't know about giving it to children pur say, but then again it can't be worse than some of the prescriptions they give kids. I mean pot is safer than ativan, isn't it?

marijuana is best for people with cancer, it reduces pain and gives them some relief. Other than that, I really don't see the advantage other than feeling good and becoming a drug addict.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    marijuana is best for people with cancer, it reduces pain and gives them some relief. Other than that, I really don't see the advantage other than feeling good and becoming a drug addict.
    Also, for those with MS. Reduces the symptoms (Extreme pain in limbs and joints, tremors, etc) to non-existent, or in the worst case, more manageable.

Also, the fail-safe: Glaucoma. It's been shown to reduce the intraocular pressure to a safe level.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information