Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bills and Sabres take it on the chin.

I was out tonight to watch the sabers game. That was a waste of time, but some long time bills die-hards were around. Most of the goofballs were not ecstatic over the hire of the new coach. Too many other problems with the Bills that needs to be addressed. Whaley must go!

Of course, dumbo Jim has to add his two cents in on the hire.
    Bills legend Jim Kelly offered his thoughts(who cares) on new coach Sean McDermott after his introductory press conference Friday.
    A small press gathering in the fieldhouse was a far cry from going out for chicken wings and beer like Kelly did with Rex Ryan two years ago, but it was fitting with the subdued, focused tone of McDermott's press conference.
    "You hope and pray that this is the coach we’ve been looking for," Kelly said. "I don’t really know enough about him to really have a real big opinion, but from the people I have talked to, he sounds like the guy." OMG!! Jim you just said U don't know him
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

HP ok sabres win one now lose last night. again same old same old. Now the big dope lehner gets pulled from the game last night and has a fit like a little kid because he was pulled. now he is giving dirty looks and throwing his equipment after being pulled. OMG act like a pro not a baby.

mike harrington BN
    TORONTO -- Let's cut right to the chase here. The Maple Leafs are ahead of the Sabres in the teams' post-tank rebuilds and there's no way they should be.

The Leafs' 4-3 win Tuesday in Air Canada Centre is far from a decisive factor in any referendum when you compare the teams. The way they rallied from a 2-0 deficit and then held on to move seven points ahead of Buffalo just was a glimpse into the bigger picture.

The Leafs have a coach who's going to the Hall of Fame, and a general manager and president who are already there. The Sabres have a coach with a Stanley Cup on his resume who's clearly causing fans and his own players to gnash their teeth far too much, a first-time GM and a club president who's about the most reviled figure in town these days.

(After all that's happened out in Orchard Park the last few weeks, you do remember Russ Brandon is president of the Sabres too, right?). Is old money bags blind with this guy Brandon?

I told you I don't like Lehner. When he got pulled, I cheered. The big Swede is a much better goalie.

That 2nd period collapse was tragic and one of the things I notice about the Sabres - they let up when they get a lead. They've scored the first goal in every game recently and lost in most of them
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Lehner sure made a great save in ot last night. Actually, he had a great game. Over 35 saves I think. But they're down 3 defense men and their D corp isn't strong to start with.

I have to vent. Watching the Patriots and Chris Hogan already has 4 catches, one for a td in the 1st quarter. But we didn't need him. Of course not, that's because our quarterback stinks. Let's cut all our wide receivers and replace them with offensive linemen since we're never gonna be able to throw the ball.

Look who's throwing to him. Brady vs Fitzpatrick/Tyrod is a no brainer
    HipKat's Blog

That's for damn sure! Think Deshaun Watson will be there when Bills pick at 10? Is this a time to trade up and role the dice? Oh, and a couple of posts up you were posting about Lehner being pulled....aren't they both "big Swedes"? I think Lehner is a Swede and he sure is big enough!
    Last edited by grump; January 23rd, 2017 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    That's for damn sure! Think Deshaun Watson will be there when Bills pick at 10? Is this a time to trade up and role the dice? Oh, and a couple of posts up you were posting about Lehner being pulled....aren't they both "big Swedes"? I think Lehner is a Swede and he sure is big enough!
    I'll have to look. I'm not dure. I think he's from Finland, but he did play a good game the other night. Maybe that benching did him some good.

I'm not sold on Watson. Another EJ in my opinion
    HipKat's Blog

He may be from Finland. I confess that I didn't look. You really think he's an EJ? You may be right...I only saw Clemson couple of times but he looked good. But college qb's are always iffy...lot easier to get by with pure athletic ability. Not so much at the NFL level. To continue the Fla. St comparison...is Deshaun an EJ or a Jameis? Hot off the presses, Lehner is a Swede too. I had to look. But I think they're both pretty good. I think their stats are comparable and I think they stack up pretty good league wide. I think Lehner is stuck lugging around the 1st round pick Murray traded for him. And to some extent Nielsen is a bit like the back up qb who is always the most popular guy in town (well, everywhere but in Buffalo where we've all seen EJ).
    Last edited by grump; January 23rd, 2017 at 10:37 PM.

I watched a few vids on Watson and he has physical skills, but in reading about him, he has accuracy problems and throws a LOT of picks
    HipKat's Blog

That's for damn sure! Think Deshaun Watson will be there when Bills pick at 10? Is this a time to trade up and role the dice?
    Watson was only asked to play a half field game in college and was not responsible for any 2nd or 3rd checks at the line. Essentially he was given a play and he ran it. That's simply not possible in the NFL. Beyond this, the gap for a WR in CFP is a couple of yards but in the NFL it's a half yard..if that at all. Not sure if Watson has the necessary touch for the NFL game but could be wrong.

These challenges are why the Cleveland Browns asked Watson to participate in the Senior Bowl. They wanted to get him in front of pro coaches who could evaluate his ability to adapt to the NFL game. These challenges are also a reason why Watson declined to participate. All things considered, there is not a QB in the draft who is worthy of a top 10 pick. Doesn't mean one will not go in the top 10 however.

Hip, Leftie, I didn't know about the picks in college. Prolly an easy mark in the pros then. So few colleges run a pro style offense that the qb's are just not prepared and maybe don't even have the skill set. I wonder whether a team is better off mining the MAC & some of the lesser conferences looking for passers.

Hip, Leftie, I didn't know about the picks in college. Prolly an easy mark in the pros then. So few colleges run a pro style offense that the qb's are just not prepared and maybe don't even have the skill set. I wonder whether a team is better off mining the MAC & some of the lesser conferences looking for passers.

Not sure why you would go to a lesser conference.

The problem is there are about 10 humans alive with the skill to play QB in the NFL at a high high level. There are many more with the physical skills needed but very, very few are mentally good enough.

Compounding this, in the college game the talent gap between the top teams and the rest of the pack is so big, college coaches can hide issues with QBs or avoid them entirely. e.g. Having someone like Watson only play and read half of the field.

The solution is to draft QBs and only play them when they are ready as to not break them. But fans are stupid and demand now. So QBs are rushed along.

Compare this to the MLB, where they take the exact opposite approach in developing pitchers. There is a reason why the success rate is different.

I'd look at the lesser conferences because I think you're more likely to find qb's playing qb instead of an rb who throws the ball some. I agree with the mental aspect of the game, qb requires some smarts. Pitchers are a bit different. Every team has 4 or 5 who can start from game to game and most of those starters aren't even allowed to play the full game. The qb plays every game and, unlike baseball, the only time he comes out for a reliever is when the game is out of hand one way or the other barring injury. Baseball teams have the luxury of developing pitchers slowly because they're only required to play every 4th or 5th game. Pro baseball has a minor league system, the role of which is to develop players for the major leagues so baseball has a ready made development system. College football is hardly a development league for the NFL; millions of $$ ride on college football entirely independent of the needs of the NFL for developed talent.
    Last edited by grump; January 24th, 2017 at 09:20 PM.

HP..wow sabres Stanley cup .. Jack didn't show up until the last period. on a roll puck heads were going crazy at tullys tonight..

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information