Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Town supervisor wants 29% pay hike

Town supervisor wants 29% pay hike

West Seneca supervisor wants 29% pay hike

The Town of West Seneca supervisor wants a 29 percent raise for her duties.

Sheila M. Meegan is proposing she receives a $16,904 bump, from $63,096 to $80,000, in the town's 2017 tentative budget of $37.7 million, which was the subject of a public hearing Monday night in Council Chambers. She is also proposing an increase in her stipend as budget director, from $500 to $2,000.

The proposed hike didn't sit well with residents at the two-hour hearing. Many of them emphasized that Meegan took the job knowing what it paid and questioned the timing of her proposal.

"I think it's wrong for anybody to increase their salary when they're in office," Covington Drive resident Dave Kims said to applause. "If you want it to be $80,000, do it after the next election. I don't think it's right."

Meegan won re-election last year on three minor party lines after losing the Democratic primary. She was elected as a town councilwoman in 2007 and as supervisor in 2011.

She responded to Kims, and others who spoke later, by saying she's been told by others that she deserves a raise and that the staff in her office is down to one from three several years ago.

"Tell me why I don't deserve the raise," she told Kims. "I work hard for this job, for this town, day in and day out."

A salary dispute also erupted this budget season in another suburb.

The Amherst Town Board last month approved 40 percent raises for council members, as well as pay increases for all elected town officials. In a 3-2 bipartisan vote, the salary for council members will increase to $35,000 from the current $25,500 a year, while the supervisor’s annual salary will rise to $105,000 from $75,000.

Meegan said her new salary, if approved, would still be less than all the town's department heads and less than what supervisors earn in other towns with the same population. She said she could've taken incremental raises of 2 percent a year, but then would be accused of constantly giving herself raises. Her position does not include health care benefits.

For one comparison, the Town of Tonawanda supervisor earns $63,775 for those duties and an additional $13,277 as budget director. That's $4,948 less than Meegan would make in West Seneca, a town with 25,000 fewer residents and a budget that is $62 million smaller.

"There's no winning in this situation," Meegan said. "But at the end of the day I have to say it's a difficult position to be in as far as giving yourself a raise."

Dale Clarke, a former town councilman, had harsh words for the Town Board.

"You ran for it," he said. "It's no time to be asking for a raise after the fact. When's the last time you went to a bank and said, 'I don't like paying five percent interest. I want it lowered to four.' When's the last time you did that? You don't change the rules after the fact."

http://buffalonews.com/2016/10/24/we...s-29-pay-hike/

Georgia L Schlager

29% NO
    3% Yes

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    "Tell me why I don't deserve the raise," she told Kims. "I work hard for this job, for this town, day in and day out."

That is an easy question to answer..

I believe WS is also one of the highest taxes areas in the USA. Correct?

The town has also lost about 2.7% of it's population.

Her position does not include health care benefits.
    Is this because the position doesn't in general or does the current supervisor receive health benefits from another source?

Quote Originally Posted by luv2fish View Post
    29% NO
    3% Yes
    What does that mean? She's going from ($63,096 + 500) $63,596 to ($80,000 + 2000) $82,000. Isn't that 29%?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    What does that mean? She's going from ($63,096 + 500) $63,596 to ($80,000 + 2000) $82,000. Isn't that 29%?
    Just got the cobwebs out my brain and realize, I think that you meant you'd agree with a 3% increase but no 29% increase

Georgia L Schlager

Does that position offer a pension? Though it must be nice having a job where you can adjust your salary to keep up with inflation.

WSFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    That is an easy question to answer..

I believe WS is also one of the highest taxes areas in the USA. Correct?

The town has also lost about 2.7% of it's population.

Is this because the position doesn't in general or does the current supervisor receive health benefits from another source?
    Husband works for the town

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by WSFirst View Post
    Husband works for the town
    So then she gets a stipend? And, in general the position would get health care anyways. So by saying she isn't getting health care is being misleading? Registered democrat?

WSFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    So then she gets a stipend? And, in general the position would get health care anyways. So by saying she isn't getting health care is being misleading? Registered democrat?
    Yes, democrat, her husband made $75k last year, she made $63k. In 2009, he made $58k.

http://seethroughny.net/payrolls/towns

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So why is she stating the position doesn't include health care then?

WsFirst- her husband made 66,824 according to this. Far from 75k. None of WS town board receives insurance. What her husband does is completely irrelevant. 29% is a hefty raise i must say though.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So Shark. So no one on the town board including the Supervisor receives paid health care?

From my understanding, no. Town officials in WS haven't had it for a few years.

WSFirst

Here you go...

If you go to 2015 he made $75,000 . The year 2016 is not over. Shiela refuse health care because she is covered under her husbands policy.When she states she refuses Healh Care benefits she is misleading the public.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information