Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should Buffalo do with

What should Buffalo do with

So the Bills have an interesting 'tryout' contract going with Taylor this season. It's a brilliant contract for the Bills but does come with a really difficult decision at the end of this season.

If the Bills pick up the option they will be looking at $27.5 million next season and then $15.5 for the next 4 years. The question is this... Is Taylor the QB that is needed to take Buffalo to the next level? The follow up question is if he isn't what are the options for the next few seasons to complement what appears to be a championship worthy defense.

Part 2 first, there are no real other options. The salary cap that we're pressed against and the possibility of draft position if this run continues on take us out of the running for a top rookie and at this point, a rookie is the last thing we need. THe first part still remains to be seen
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    Part 2 first, there are no real other options. The salary cap that we're pressed against and the possibility of draft position if this run continues on take us out of the running for a top rookie and at this point, a rookie is the last thing we need. THe first part still remains to be seen
    If Minnesota wins the Super Bowl they have an issue with Bradford and Bridgewater. Both of their contracts expire at the end of the 2017 season. Bradford is due like $17M next season and Bridgewater is due like $2.1M. They are going to have to move one of them and I would assume they would have to do it at the end of this season.

Then you have Kirk Cousins who might be tagged again but if not he could be a possible solution. That said, he would be just as expensive as Taylor and just as much as a game manager.

Last to look at is Case Keenum. He is on the last year of his deal and playing in front of #1 pick Jared Goff. Does LA ink Keenum when they have to develop and pay Goff in a couple of years? On Keenum, what if Buffalo can get him for > $10M?

A couple of things to consider. I think the era of great QBs in the NFL is coming to an end. I think the new era is going to be based around solid to great at time QBs behind amazing lines and outstanding defenses. Just look at Carolina after they spent all of that money on Cam. They miss Josh Norman more than expected.

Also consider that Rex is a defensive guy and he is going to want to stack his defense as much as possible. Add in the nasty run game Buffalo has and maybe they just look to win under the Baltimore model rather than the New England one.

The NE model is not some thing every team can do. They got lucky with Brady and Belichick. But that type of QB is rare these days. There's no one in college coming up that has that style of play so I agree there. I tyhink, really, it's just too early to tell. Bills fans are riding on a high right now, but the schedule gets tougher and we still don'tr really know if t his team is for real yet or not
    HipKat's Blog

Teams can still win with a good ground game & tough D but you'd better not fall far behind in a game. I'm concerned that Taylor simply doesn't have the passing game to bring the team back. Last week's game vs the fish was an example. Nor could they hold the lead. With McCoy out & banged up receivers there was nothing there when the D messed in their pants. I have this recurring vision of the Bills trapped in cap hell for 3 years with Taylor at qb and always finishing right around 8-8. It's a lot of money to tie up in a still unproven guy. And I don't know how we can be sure the era of the qb's is over. I see some good young guys on rosters this year...Wentz, Prescott. I thought I heard something about Bridgwaters knee possibly involving nerve damage & he might not be ready next year which means Bradford might be staying put for a bit. Or did I get a garbled message on that?

You have to take into account, he has no one to pass to. I mean, our top 2 WR's in that game last week, and this week, unless Woods is back are practice squad guys on most other teams. Regardless, statistically, he's one of the most efficient QB's in the league.
    HipKat's Blog

I know their receivers are banged up. But even with Woods, Watkins, McCoy and all the rest playing he's never had a 300 yard passing game, l don't think he's ever had a 4th quarter comeback and he's just not all that accurate a passer. But we keep focusing on Taylor and the offense when their D, supposedly coached by geniuses, got rolled up for the second week in a row. And the defensive team was largely intact. They even had member of the all-stoner team, Dareus, back in the lineup. I know they miss Aaron Williams but they had Shaq Lawson in the lineup. Of their 4 losses, 3 have been UGLY defensive efforts. And I wouldn't be killing myself to resign Gilmore!

If they resign Gilmore, I'll be very disappointed. He's the worse player on the field. Terrible!
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    I know their receivers are banged up. But even with Woods, Watkins, McCoy and all the rest playing he's never had a 300 yard passing game, l don't think he's ever had a 4th quarter comeback and he's just not all that accurate a passer. But we keep focusing on Taylor and the offense when their D, supposedly coached by geniuses, got rolled up for the second week in a row. And the defensive team was largely intact. They even had member of the all-stoner team, Dareus, back in the lineup. I know they miss Aaron Williams but they had Shaq Lawson in the lineup. Of their 4 losses, 3 have been UGLY defensive efforts. And I wouldn't be killing myself to resign Gilmore!

I don't think having Lawson in the lineup mitigates not having Williams. Two different position groups and Williams is the QB of the DBs.

It's a shame that Woods and Watkins are out as that would give a true look at Taylor....which is needed.

They do play different positions. But Williams was there for the Jets game where they played some of the worst pass defense in team history against Ryan Fitzpatrick! Lawson helps make up some because if your d backfield is hurting you can help cover by rushing the qb which is Lawson's game. You could put Jerry Rice, Marvin Harrison, Lynn Swan and John Mackey on the field and Taylor would still be inaccurate. I caught the cowboys/eagles last night. Those two rookie qb's are already head & shoulders above our guy. Either you can throw accurately or you can't. He just can't.

Unregistered
    Pressure's on the Bills to win now, because they only have 2 more seasons left in Buffalo. Once the lease clause comes in to play in 2019. NFL owners are going to demand the Bills be relocated to a market that has a new stadium or has a viable plan for a new stadium. At night, the stadium looks just like a oversized high school stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer7 View Post
    Pressure's on the Bills to win now, because they only have 2 more seasons left in Buffalo. Once the lease clause comes in to play in 2019. NFL owners are going to demand the Bills be relocated to a market that has a new stadium or has a viable plan for a new stadium. At night, the stadium looks just like a oversized high school stadium.
    You're a moron. Not even a good troll.

Percy Harvin? Really? Peg Leg Pete must've been unavailable!

At least they did something, instead of nothing. Who else was out there?
    HipKat's Blog

Hell, there are probably dozens of players who took injury retirements. Did the Reverend Billy Bob Bobo lay hands on him and heal him? Here's an idea...have the teams GM draft some wide receiver help. It's not like it's a secret that Watkins breaks easily. We gave up 2 no1 picks for Watkins...how about spending a pick on someone who can help the team instead of 2 more of the perpetually injured.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information