• Yes

2 28.57%
  • No

5 71.43%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Poll: Ban Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    voted no
    yes she's mostly a troll but just ignore her. I don't like mob rule banning people just because they don't agree
    I am ok with her staying as long as I get to call her a f*cking moron anytime I want to and not have others complain to WNYResident about how mean words hurts their feelings.

Can't have pansies and trolls on the same site.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    I am ok with her staying as long as I get to call her a f*cking moron anytime I want to and not have others complain to WNYResident about how mean words hurts their feelings.

Can't have pansies and trolls on the same site.
    I got my hand slapped for calling her names so the next best thing; get rid of her and you know, if it was me that under fire and being threatened with banishment, I'd change my ways or at least take a long hard look at my actions. I guess that's just me though....
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    I got my hand slapped for calling her names so the next best thing; get rid of her and you know, if it was me that under fire and being threatened with banishment, I'd change my ways or at least take a long hard look at my actions. I guess that's just me though....

I have had people tell me they would post but they don't want to get involved with the name calling if their opinion is different than someone else's. That is why I requested the name calling be toned down.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I have had people tell me they would post but they don't want to get involved with the name calling if their opinion is different than someone else's. That is why I requested the name calling be toned down.
    Here is the problem with that. Where does it end?

Honestly, how different is it in calling someone ignorant and calling someone an idiot? I actually see a difference in the two as ignorance is something that can be corrected while being an idiot is typically something that can't. Even in the differences they are both reasonable observations and people have complained about the use of both as name calling.

There are both ignorant people and idiots in any community. I think failure to acknowledge this reality is harmful. Especially against a troll, who by definition, is not open to dialog over specific statements but rather just wants to litter conversations with random and unsubstantiated comments to insight frustration in those who are trying to have a discourse.

Going further, I think there is an unwritten expectation in online communities that it's 100% valid to have an opinion but you are going to need to back up your opinion at some point. Personally, I think unsubstantiated opinions are more detrimental to a community that discusses topical issues like politics than any type of perception to the tonality a community takes in having those conversations.

But that's just me.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    Here is the problem with that. Where does it end?

Honestly, how different is it in calling someone ignorant and calling someone an idiot? I actually see a difference in the two as ignorance is something that can be corrected while being an idiot is typically something that can't. Even in the differences they are both reasonable observations and people have complained about the use of both as name calling.

There are both ignorant people and idiots in any community. I think failure to acknowledge this reality is harmful. Especially against a troll, who by definition, is not open to dialog over specific statements but rather just wants to litter conversations with random and unsubstantiated comments to insight frustration in those who are trying to have a discourse.

Going further, I think there is an unwritten expectation in online communities that it's 100% valid to have an opinion but you are going to need to back up your opinion at some point. Personally, I think unsubstantiated opinions are more detrimental to a community that discusses topical issues like politics than any type of perception to the tonality a community takes in having those conversations.

But that's just me.
    That is the point.

Where does it end?
    First we have Tobias calling people "morons"

Then Stella see's what Tobias is doing and starts to call people she don't like "morons".

Then Sebastian sees the name calling but wants to be more colorful about it. "You are a ****ing moron"...

Then Thaddeus comes along and it never ends...That's what I'm looking at.

My issue with the poster is the tone taken against "Buffalo" the area. There are a lot of good companies and people in "Buffalo". It is not their fault we have small controlling groups that hinder our growth, cause high taxation and create an environment where 1000's flee. They are busy running their companies and working.

The poster is a troll. I am not disagreeing with it's behavior but on the other hand some of the comments they make are legit.

I don't know how one combats stupidity, incompetence and/or ignorance because there is so much to go around.

Then Stella see's what Tobias is doing and starts to call people she don't like "morons".

Then Sebastian sees the name calling but wants to be more colorful about it. "You are a ****ing moron"...

My issue with the poster is the tone taken against "Buffalo" the area. There are a lot of good companies and people in "Buffalo". It is not their fault we have small controlling groups that hinder our growth, cause high taxation and create an environment where 1000's flee. They are busy running their companies and working.

The poster is a troll. I am not disagreeing with it's behavior but on the other hand some of the comments they make are legit.

I don't know how one combats stupidity, incompetence and/or ignorance because there is so much to go around.
    You're missing the point.

Are the people that Tobias, Stella, Sebastian and Thaddeus calling morons morons?

We have to be honest that there are morons. If there were not morons the word would not exist.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but you're not entitled to an equal opinion.

I'll give you the "You are a ****ing" part and admit I am guilt of that. Mostly likely the most guilty. But I would rather be guilty of swearing than trolling. Pretty sure I save swearing for trolls. Could be wrong...I have a temper sometimes.

Unregistered
    That is the point.

Not the people's fault ? Then why did Depew vote 3 to 1 to have their taxes raised 41% over the next 2 years ? and it doesn't even take care of the million's of Depew's debt which is now going to incure interest charges compounding Depew's Debt even more . It just makes it till to 2019.

Personally, I have no beef with Jennifer. I find myself between two worlds, waiting to move out of here for many reasons that are BS, and being ok with staying for the time . WNY has a lot of problems and calling attention to them is never a bad thing. She's Steven Hawking compared some of the idiots that have posted here over the years. At least she is not a liberal and occaisionally is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    Personally, I have no beef with Jennifer. I find myself between two worlds, waiting to move out of here for many reasons that are BS, and being ok with staying for the time . WNY has a lot of problems and calling attention to them is never a bad thing. She's Steven Hawking compared some of the idiots that have posted here over the years. At least she is not a liberal and occaisionally is correct.
    yes, I agree!

I would NEVER vote for banning Jennifer. She provides an important and legitimate perspective.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Where the hell have you been equinox....

I've been called all sorts of things and endured all types of slanders on this site. The worst was being accused of owning and sitting in a BarcaLounger. I still get weepy from time to time over that. But unless someone is threatening people why ban them. I trust I'm not the only one who has noticed a distressing trend in this country to try to shut down any position that one finds different or offensive (or, most often, for which one has no effective response). That's why I've suggested a "safe thread" akin to the "safe places" on college campuses where one is sheltered from anything they find upsetting. If you don't like her posts ignore them and they'll probably go away.

Where the hell have you been equinox....
    I've missed you all.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    I've been called all sorts of things and endured all types of slanders on this site. The worst was being accused of owning and sitting in a BarcaLounger. I still get weepy from time to time over that. But unless someone is threatening people why ban them. I trust I'm not the only one who has noticed a distressing trend in this country to try to shut down any position that one finds different or offensive (or, most often, for which one has no effective response). That's why I've suggested a "safe thread" akin to the "safe places" on college campuses where one is sheltered from anything they find upsetting. If you don't like her posts ignore them and they'll probably go away.
    I don't shy away from negativity. Hell, I'm an expert at it but in THIS case, it's her agenda.
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information