Thread: Town employment residency code

Town employment residency code

Note the residency
    [/url]

Non-civil service positions, part-time and seasonal.
    (1) Required Town residence. The Town of Lancaster shall hire for part-time and seasonal non-civil service positions only those persons who reside within the boundaries of the Town of Lancaster unless Subsection D(2) herein applies.

(2) Exemption for part-time and seasonal employees. A person who resides outside the Town of Lancaster may be hired where the position requires a skill, expertise or degree of experience which cannot be satisfied by an applicant who resides within the Town, but only after the Town has exercised diligent efforts to find a Town resident with the skill, expertise or experience to fill the position. Given that the position is part-time or seasonal in nature, such an employee will not be required to relocate his residence to the Town. In the event, however, that a Town resident who has the required specialized qualifications becomes available to fill the position, then the nonresident employee shall be terminated and replaced by a Town resident.

Since they don't post the available position, how do they know that there isn't a resident with GIS experience that would have wanted the job?

Georgia L Schlager

My guess is because he's a re-hire. Just a guess though.

Quote Originally Posted by Neubs24 View Post
    My guess is because he's a re-hire. Just a guess though.
    Yes, he is. Even when he was originally hired, there was no job posting.
    He may very well be the only person with the qualifications to do the job at the salary being offered but my point is, post the job, if the only one with qualifications lives out of the district, then hire him

Georgia L Schlager

The operative word(s) would be "Post the job." If it was posted, I am quite sure there would be many applicants. In fact, I know folks who read your post gorja who live in Lancaster feel they would have applied had they known-who are qualified.

I think a residency requirement should still apply.

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Yes, he is. Even when he was originally hired, there was no job posting.
    He may very well be the only person with the qualifications to do the job at the salary being offered but my point is, post the job, if the only one with qualifications lives out of the district, then hire him
    Apparently, they don't have to post the position. Why have a job posting link on the website if you're only to post on-call DCO positions or seasonal positions. Have to or not have to post, there hiring efforts would be more transparent by posting their open positions

Georgia L Schlager

I wonder how other towns do their job postings, do they follow the same criteria? Or do other towns even have a posting website? I think that hiring a person or retaining that person for a specific skill set like heading the GIS programing in this situation here, would make sense. I also like the idea that Johanna Coleman is updating, making things more proficient (website) and consolidating services. It will help, in the long run, save the taxpayers money. That said, this person who is being retained on a permanent basis must be taking job duties away from Lou Catchatti (spelling) and lead duties away from Danny Amatura. Doesn't Danny receive a stipend as a Culvert/Drainage Expert? Will he absolve that stipend since someone else will be tackling those duties?

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    I wonder how other towns do their job postings, do they follow the same criteria? Or do other towns even have a posting website? I think that hiring a person or retaining that person for a specific skill set like heading the GIS programing in this situation here, would make sense. I also like the idea that Johanna Coleman is updating, making things more proficient (website) and consolidating services. It will help, in the long run, save the taxpayers money. That said, this person who is being retained on a permanent basis must be taking job duties away from Lou Catchatti (spelling) and lead duties away from Danny Amatura. Doesn't Danny receive a stipend as a Culvert/Drainage Expert? Will he absolve that stipend since someone else will be tackling those duties?
    My assumption would be that the GIS clerk would be responsible for plotting all the drainage ditches, bridges and culverts into the town's mapping software and maintaining and updating the layers of the maps on that software.

While the drainage officer, in my opinion, would be responsible for maintaining and improving the actual town drainage system itself not the mapping of it. JMHO

Georgia L Schlager

Lee, a question for you. Evidently, this position was not in the budget. Does that mean another position was left vacant, a PT laborer or something? Another question, since that position wasn't created previously (clerk in highway), would the board have had to have a resolution creating the position? Can you straighten me out here?

Georgia L Schlager

I addressed the town board on the residency code and hiring practices in general and the following is the answer to the questions I asked on the re-hiring of Spencer Podsialdo to the Highway Department as ‘clerk’.

Chowaniec: As a hire/rehire to an appointed part time permanent position does it negate the posting of the position for public bid?

Supervisor Johanna Coleman: We don’t bid jobs,

Chowaniec: Sorry, posting, I was referring to posting them for bid.

Coleman: This was a civil service job for the Highway Department. Dan (Highway Superintendent Dan Amatura) would you like to come up and explain.

Chowaniec: Yes, I was going to ask him to do that, but allow me to ask a few other questions to clear up the hiring process in regards terms and language used.

Is the same true for the hiring for part time positions, namely that the open position does not have to be posted? There is part time, permanent part time and seasonal part time work.

Coleman: There is civil service, elected, exempt…

Amatura interjected: There is part time seasonal where people can work more than 19 hours per week, there is part time permanent where the individual is limited to 19 hours per week and no benefits; there is part time help for a few months who may then become part time permanent if needed.

Chowaniec: Again, is there a posting required for seasonal work?

Coleman: No.

Chowaniec: Ok, you hire a number of people for part time seasonal (summer) work. You post that you will be hiring on the website. If hypothetically say there are 30 positions to be filled but 40 individuals apply. How do you determine who will be hired?

Coleman: The recreation department will interview them.

Amatura interjected and affirmed that to be true.

How many hours can a seasonal hire work; an individual in a part time position; an individual in a part time permanent position?

Coleman: I believe seasonal can work up to 40 hours. Amatura interjected that it was 40 hours in Parks & Recreation and 35 hours in the Highway Department. Part time and part time permanent positions are limited to 19 hours per week. None receive benefits.

Chowaniec: What is the difference between a part time and a part time permanent position?

Amatura: Part time seasonal can work up to five months. Part time permanent personnel can be hired for an indefinite term.

Chowaniec: As to the re-hire of Spencer Podsialdo, near clarification considering the following:

In June of 2015 Highway Superintendent Amatura requested the board sponsor a resolution to hire Mr. Podsialdo for a part time position to assist his department with GIS input – GIS input only, yet he was listed as a ‘laborer’ hire; a part time position; $10 per hour, 19 hours per week.

On October 13, 2015, he was rehired as part time permanent in the Highway Department and again the position was listed as ‘laborer’ – even though he never spent an hour working in the field as a laborer.
    On May 11, 2016, he was rehired in the Parks & Recreation Department as part time seasonal for a period not to exceed 5 months. He is not a resident of Lancaster and neither was the three other individuals hired with him to conduct a tree inventory survey. He is being paid $12 per hour and no benefits – but not limited to 19 hours.

Now that the tree survey project is over he is being appointed as a part time permanent ‘clerk’ in the Highway Department.

My questions are:

How did it come about that non-resident (Cheektowaga) Podsialdo was hired in 2015? Why wasn’t the position posted as it was more than a laborers job (and defined as such)? What were his qualifications that made him unique for the position and where a non resident got the position?

Amatura: We hired Podsialdo and the other three non residents this year to do a tree study for the Parks & Recreation Department. They came from Buff State and were hired because they had the I-Pads and the experience from doing the Town of Tonawanda tree survey. So we hired them to do our tree inventory.

Chowaniec: Did you have to post this position?

Amatura & Coleman: We did not.

Chowaniec: Back to Podsialdo hiring in 2015, how did this non-resident get hired?

Amatura: He was working for the county on their stormwater location program. As we have the stormwater systems already mapped the county rep suggested that it could be useful in locating our outfalls and our sediment chambers that could be mapped on our GIS system. In talking with her I asked if she had anyone in the program that would be interested in working for Lancaster regarding that work. She said she had a Buff State student that could fill that need but that he lived in Cheektowaga. I determined that’s not too far from town and that’s how we got him.

Chowaniec: I was going to ask: Considering his first hire and next two were listed as ‘laborer’, how does the job title ‘clerk’ fit the job description he will actually be doing – GIS Tech? In the work session, Mrs. Coleman explained that in discussion with the county on titling the position using GIS Analyst was inappropriate. Councilman Abraham suggested a resolution addendum whereby it states the ‘clerk’ position was intended for GIS services only.

The town last year reorganized the Parks & Recreation Department last year where the town no longer has a Parks & Recreation Director, but where Mr. Lubera is now the Crew Chief and works closely with Highway Superintendent Amatura. As Mr. Podsialdo was hired to not do laborer work, but only work on the GIS system, why the need for all the resolutions and resulting public confusion?

Amatura: There are two different budgets involved here.

Coleman: The paper work in tracking those expenses to what department would be complex as the information would be contained in many files.

Chowaniec: For how long can this part time permanent position exist?

Amatura: As long as he is needed.

Councilman Matt Walter: Lee, you asked a question that was similar to a conversation I had with the Supervisor on why all the paperwork, it’s for transparency. We don’t ever want someone to think we are putting something through with making something permanent. Although it can be frustrating at times we are putting our cards on the table and that’s what we are doing. You can ask questions and we are willing to explain.

Chowaniec: Questions and explanation are required as some don’t understand the process; as it was established tonight that you do not have to post certain positions, you just appoint.

Comments

Hopefully, the above clears up some of the questions you had on town hiring practices and job postings. It remains clear as mud to me. There has to be a distinction between civil service requirements/professional services vs. other part time positions as there are postings on the town website for:

Part-Time Dog Control Officer
    The Town of Lancaster is Seeking Experienced Cleaner
    Lancaster Parks & Recreation & Forestry Department Now Hiring for Sumer of 2016

Councilman Waters mentioned that all the paperwork was necessary for transparency, yet the language in three resolutions listed Mr. Podsialdo as ‘laborer’ that just added to the confusion.

Considering Mr. Podsialdo’s versatility in being able to assist all departments in enhancing their GIS systems, it would have made more sense to me that he wasn’t hired and paid through the General Fund. And, at $12 an hour, what a bargain!

Thanks Lee for straightening my arse out about that hire.

The dog control position. If a part time non-seasonal employee may only work less than 20 hours per week, how is it possible as stated in the job posting to be available for a 12 hour shift 2-3 days per week and be under 20 hours?

Edit-
    Also the posting states, " Compensation is $50.00 for each 24-hour period, pro-rated for any portion thereof, that an individual is on on-call status."

Does that mean $25 for a 12 hour period?

Georgia L Schlager

Thanks Lee for straightening my arse out about that hire.

The dog control position. If a part time non-seasonal employee may only work less than 20 hours per week, how is it possible as stated in the job posting to be available for a 12 hour shift 2-3 days per week and be under 20 hours?

Edit-
    Also the posting states, " Compensation is $50.00 for each 24-hour period, pro-rated for any portion thereof, that an individual is on on-call status."

Does that mean $25 for a 12 hour period?

I did not have an opportunity to address the board on two DCO protocols that I believe need clarification, and which you also question:

1) It is my understanding from listening to Councilman Matt Walter in the past that the DCO is on call for a 12 hour shift and in lieu of picking up strays or answering complaints visits the kennels once per shift to feed the animals and to clean their cages. The DCO is paid $50 for that 12 hour shift.

2) Considering there are six DCO’S – as was stated to me at the last town board meeting by Mr. Walter - there has to be some sort of scheduling that accommodates covering the 24/7 operation. As the position is only part time the DCOS (6) are only allowed to work 19 hours per week. There are 168 hours in a week. Six (DCOS) X 19 hours = 114 hours.

I have to be looking at this in the wrong way and will ask on this at the next town board meeting. I was disappointed that I didn’t get the opportunity to question this at Monday’s meeting – and equally disappointed that Debbie Lancaster didn’t ask this when she addressed the board.

Lemaster did ask and comment on the following:

Lemaster asked on the posting of the DCO position and was told by Supervisor Coleman that an opening became available because the one DCO is unable to fit the hours into his schedule.

Lemaster commented that she was disappointed that filling the job requirement only consisted of having a driver’s license and a high school diploma, and not any dog handling experience.

Councilman Matt Walter replied that he would prefer people had a dog to get some dog handling experience, but that the absence of having one did not preclude them from consideration. “The people who work child care are not required to have a child,” Walter remarked.

Lemaster also suggested Lancaster post a description of the stray dogs taken in on the website – especially when not retrieved by the owner within the first 24 hours. Other towns using such practice have even had dogs retrieved by owners living in other towns.

BTW – Mrs. Lemaster and I requested a tour of the DCO operation and our request was granted. We were very impressed with the kennel operation; especially hearing that the four cages were air conditioned in the summer and heated in the cold months.

We were shown what will be the new DCO office; located in the old police garage. Reconstructed and also with AC. All the work being put into the DCO operation is being done by Town Highway and Parks & Recreation employees to hold down outside labor expenses – setting up the kennel, electrical and plumbing as well. At the same time residents should understand that neither Department has any play in the DCO operation – as some seem to think.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    I did not have an opportunity to address the board on two DCO protocols that I believe need clarification, and which you also question:

1) It is my understanding from listening to Councilman Matt Walter in the past that the DCO is on call for a 12 hour shift and in lieu of picking up strays or answering complaints visits the kennels once per shift to feed the animals and to clean their cages. The DCO is paid $50 for that 12 hour shift.

2) Considering there are six DCO’S – as was stated to me at the last town board meeting by Mr. Walter - there has to be some sort of scheduling that accommodates covering the 24/7 operation. As the position is only part time the DCOS (6) are only allowed to work 19 hours per week. There are 168 hours in a week. Six (DCOS) X 19 hours = 114 hours.

I have to be looking at this in the wrong way and will ask on this at the next town board meeting. I was disappointed that I didn’t get the opportunity to question this at Monday’s meeting – and equally disappointed that Debbie Lancaster didn’t ask this when she addressed the board.

Lemaster did ask and comment on the following:

Lemaster asked on the posting of the DCO position and was told by Supervisor Coleman that an opening became available because the one DCO is unable to fit the hours into his schedule.

Lemaster commented that she was disappointed that filling the job requirement only consisted of having a driver’s license and a high school diploma, and not any dog handling experience.

Councilman Matt Walter replied that he would prefer people had a dog to get some dog handling experience, but that the absence of having one did not preclude them from consideration. “The people who work child care are not required to have a child,” Walter remarked.

Lemaster also suggested Lancaster post a description of the stray dogs taken in on the website – especially when not retrieved by the owner within the first 24 hours. Other towns using such practice have even had dogs retrieved by owners living in other towns.

BTW – Mrs. Lemaster and I requested a tour of the DCO operation and our request was granted. We were very impressed with the kennel operation; especially hearing that the four cages were air conditioned in the summer and heated in the cold months.

We were shown what will be the new DCO office; located in the old police garage. Reconstructed and also with AC. All the work being put into the DCO operation is being done by Town Highway and Parks & Recreation employees to hold down outside labor expenses – setting up the kennel, electrical and plumbing as well. At the same time residents should understand that neither Department has any play in the DCO operation – as some seem to think.

Councilmen Matt Walter's comment regarding people having a dog was preferred, was strange wasn't it? As for his statement on childcare workers not being required to have a child whether he was using this as an example was uncharacteristic of a politician to make that statement or use as an example to dog owners and their experience in the field whether they own animals or not.

Apparently, they don't have to post the position. Why have a job posting link on the website if you're only to post on-call DCO positions or seasonal positions. Have to or not have to post, there hiring efforts would be more transparent by posting their open positions
    They should change their statement on their job posting link if they're not going to post 'open' postions.

Statement on their job posting link-

"The Town of Lancaster will post current positions with openings as they become available."

Georgia L Schlager

Thread Information