Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stop the Epipen Price Gouging

Quote Originally Posted by Mindcrime View Post
    Mylan is using value-based pricing to justify the cost increases. Basically, they're saying, "how much is your life worth to you?" In their eyes, EpiPen is still a bargain. This is what for-profit healthcare begets.

So you have an issue with value-based pricing in healthcare but do you have an issue with value-based pricing in other markets?

How about we standardize lawyers and move them off value-based pricing? After all, their pitch is "how much is your freedom worth to you?" How about the person managing your investments? They have a similar pitch of "How much is your retirement worth to you?".

Let me guess, you think that pricing should be set by a central body and then people or companies with skills that are of value to you should provide good and services that you want under the pricing structure that benefits you. Amirite?

with new business start ups at an all time low,, the chances for competition are low..

any wonder why people just give up when the government will provide for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    with new business start ups at an all time low,,
    You're making up statistics that aren't true.
    New business start-ups have been increasing significantly for the past 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post

Do you consider someone who leaves the workforce as an employee to become a freelancer as a new business? Just trying to gauge what you're actually looking at.

I was asking for your opinion. The reason is there IS a difference between a startup that employs just a single person and a startup that grows into a employer of multiple. The reality is the pressures on small businesses or business in general is actually creating new 'companies' but the stats are misleading.

I'll give you a 'anecdotal' example. A fairly large company we did some development work for closed down their entire marketing department and outsourced to an external agency. The head of the marketing department, old school internal ad guy (30 years in in-house advertising) guy who resisted change fwiw, was out on the street with the rest of his team. He simply was too expensive for an in-house position and was too formed to fit into another agency. Especially since he has zero client service experience.

Long story short is he went out and started his own company. He did this so he would have the structure to outsource (outside of the US) the supporting creative he needed and takes on piecemeal projects. Even for his former employer as some of his skills do not exist in the new agency of record.

On paper he is a startup new business. The reality is he's a part of a cut department due to a cost saving measure and is never going to grow into a large employer. Impressive I know.

You should read "Where Has All The Skewness Gone? The Decline In High-Growth (Young) Firms In The U.S." when you get a chance. It's from last year.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    Do you consider someone who leaves the workforce as an employee to become a freelancer as a new business? Just trying to gauge what you're actually looking at.

WHy must you take my threads off topic?

;P

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post

What I see more of lately is older people trying to figure out how to make a living working out of their homes. I get to quote on web sites and meet these people. People basically molded into what they were doing for the past 30 years.

I feel for them but now I'm telling them without a realistic budget we can't help them. I found myself being too nice helping people and in the end time is money.

These very same people in my opinion are being ripped off by drug and insurance companies. You really can't tell anyone what price point they need to sell their product at. If you did that we would have a case to completely replace many of the 6 figure+ government workers. If a company can't charge X amount for "product A "we can use that to say "you can't charge us 6+ figures for your service" Right? Monopoly of a product is just like a monopoly of a service.

Quoting Inc.

"According to Census Bureau data reported by the Kauffman Foundation and the Brookings Institution the number of new companies as a share of all U.S. businesses has dropped 44 percent since 1978"

Most sources I have read support this...

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    "According to Census Bureau data reported by the Kauffman Foundation and the Brookings Institution the number of new companies as a share of all U.S. businesses has dropped 44 percent since 1978"
    But they have been increasing for the past 2 years, so they are not at an all-time low, which is what you wrote, and what my point was.

But they have been increasing for the past 2 years, so they are not at an all-time low, which is what you wrote, and what my point was.
    Depends on how you look at it if you want to be difficult.

If you're looking at it from a 200 year or 150 year window...the difference of 2 years +/- fits into 'now' or 'currently'...even with an uptick provided the lowest range has been recently.

provide some source for that data then.

provide some source for that data then.
    Save said it was. You said it wasn't. I don't have a dog in the fight. I was just making a point on the language and how it framed the conversation.

For someone that doesn't have a dog in the fight you sure talk a lot.

If people here are going to keep posting economic "statistics" then they should be able to back them up with something quantifiable. Not just - I heard it from so-and-so. Trump has been running his whole campaign that way and it's nauseating.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    EpiPen cost soars more than 400% since 2008

TOWN OF LOCKPORT, N.Y. – There is no doubt that EpiPens save the lives of people with life-threatening allergies, but the price of the medicine has skyrocketed more than 400-percent since 2008.

The Mylan pharmaceutical company pretty much has a monopoly on the drug after its closest competitor had to issue a recall last year. Six years ago, an EpiPen pack would've cost around $100, now it'll cost $500 or more in many cases.

On social media Thursday night, several viewers told us what they’re paying. Chrissy said she paid more than $500. Adrienne paid almost $900 for her daughter's EpiPen.
    http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/epipe...08-1/302034565

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information