Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rats,rats and more rats

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Other than give someone a ticket for open trash or an open dumpster isn't rat control a responsibility of the property owner?

When we knew we had some rats I knew I had to catch them. I wouldn't expect the town to have a service for baiting/catching rats on my property. I could see the town handling an issue at a town owned dump or at a sewer location owned by the town.

Why would someone not want to eat their vegetable garden produce even if they have rats? It's not like the rats are purposely touching each tomato, pepper and cucumber just to be annoying. I'm sure if the rats were eating the veggies you'd see things 1/2 eaten. In that case I would just pick it and throw it out.

Anyone know what the village ideas have been? Other than telling people the locations where they can buy rat traps and baiting supplies?
    Buffalo Courier October 22, 1939

GARBAGE DRIVE BEGUN TO HELP RlD CITY of RATS

Officials order strict enforcement of law, threaten to issue summonses

NO LENIENCY EXTENDED
    Householders will be given preliminary warning and then haled into court
    Strict enforcement of the city ordinances requiring that garbage
    be wrapped and placed in covered metal containers for collection will
    be started tomorrow in an effort to eliminate the rat nuisance.

Under direction of Health Commissioner Francis E. Fronczak, following
    a conference with Director James J. Hillery of the division of
    streets, Frank E. Trumble, chief of the division of sanitation, has assigned
    several inspectors to accompany the garbage collectors in various
    sections of the city to warn householders the ordinance must be
    obeyed.

Only One Warning Planned
    The inspectors were assigned to enforce the law after Commissioner
    Louis A. Harding of the department of public works had pointed out the
    collection of Improperly wrapped garbage was prohibited and that it
    was the duty of the health department to enforce the law.

The ordinance reads: "It shall be the duty of each householder to
    strain and securely wrap in paper all garbage, kitchen and table waste
    designed for collection by the city. The street commissioner is hereby
    authorized to refuse to collect any garbage, kitchen or table waste not
    so wrapped.
    "No kitchen refuse, table scraps, waste animal or vegetable matter, or
    similar garbage, shall be kept or stored upon any premises by any
    person, firm or corporation except in tight metal containers with metal
    covers. Such containers shall be kept tightly covered at all times except
    when deposits are being made therein and during the time that
    garbage therefrom is being collected and removed from the premises."

Inspector Trumble announced that only one warning will be given
    each householder. If the violation is repeated, the householder will be
    given a summons to appear in city court.

War on Rats Pushed

"The health and public works departments are conducting this campaign
    to educate the public in the proper way of handling garbage in
    order to eliminate one of the city's worst nuisances—the destructive and
    deadly rat,"' Mr. Trumble declared. The campaign will be successful if
    the public will co-operate. The ordinance must and will be rigidly
    enforced.

"Uncovered garbage cans furnish food for rats and contribute greatly
    to rat abundance in the residential districts. These pests are also destructive
    to property and property owners will find it beneficial to seal all holes on their
    properties to prevent these pests from entering the premises. The elimination of
    rats from a community can be accomplished by organized effort of all the
    people."

Inspector Trumble declared also the rat nuisance can be minimized
    and eliminated by the use of "red squill" an inexpensive poison that is
    not injurious to other animals.

Georgia L Schlager

Nice find, gorga!

I was born and lived in the City of Buffalo (1936-1958).

I was taught early on the value of using lidded containers for garbage and in keeping ones property neat and clean: free from litter lying around and free from anything that provided harborage for rodents and pests.
    The homes in my east-side neighborhood were modest but well maintained as renters as well as property owners took pride in keeping them that way.

There has been an ordinance in place on using lidded containers for as long as I can remember. It has been ill enforced and too many people are irresponsible to follow any regulation as well. In today’s entitled world too many people shirk responsibility and expect government to provide all needs.

I just love it when individuals shout for the town to provide them with containers and have no idea they will ultimately pay for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    I just love it when individuals shout for the town to provide them with containers and have no idea they will ultimately pay for them.
    I had an argument on Facebook with someone about this. I wanted to run headfirst into a wall. Here's the exchange:

Idiot:
    Why do you think we're moving? Lancaster sucks. My taxes went up almost $1,000 after the name change bull**** that they claimed wouldn't happen. We have had 2 trash violations since we came back from our trip. Lancaster is the only town that refuses to give the residents the big garbage cans, but yet they will threaten to fine you if you can't fit all of your garbage bags in your can that is now required to have a lid. The sanitation guys throw your cans around breaking them, and bitch when your garbage can is not in perfect condition.

Me:
    The name change didnt affect taxes at all.

And if you dont want your taxes to go up, dont ask for garbage totes.

Idiot:
    Did I say that I personally asked the town to supply the garbage cans?

Me:
    No, but you complained about your high taxes and complained that they dont give us garbage cans. If they supply us with garbage cans, then your taxes will go even higher to pay for them.

Idiot:
    I have every right to complain about my taxes going up especially after they claimed it wouldn't. If you have a problem with my comment, scroll on. I don't know one person living in this town that is happy with their tax increase.

I finished by saying it must've been a village increase, because my town taxes were lowered.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I have every right to complain about my taxes going up especially after they claimed it wouldn't. If you have a problem with my comment, scroll on. I don't know one person living in this town that is happy with their tax increase.
    Here is what people should be upset about. Misleading campaign material. If you review the mailers the Cheektowaga Democratic Party has sent to us property owners over the years you would think our taxes would be at least "average" compared to other towns. Nope. We pay some of the highest taxes around. I think Lancaster is actually lower over all.

Nueb, your taxes went down because it was under Dino Fudoli's budget. This upcoming tax bill is primarily Dino Fudoli's budget, with the modification's to the budget under the new administration, you might see a slight difference. However, next year, your tax bill will reflect totally under the Democratic controlled board's budget. The taxes will go up.

Quote Originally Posted by Neubs24 View Post
    I had an argument on Facebook with someone about this. I wanted to run headfirst into a wall. Here's the exchange:

Idiot:
    Why do you think we're moving? Lancaster sucks. My taxes went up almost $1,000 after the name change bull**** that they claimed wouldn't happen. We have had 2 trash violations since we came back from our trip. Lancaster is the only town that refuses to give the residents the big garbage cans, but yet they will threaten to fine you if you can't fit all of your garbage bags in your can that is now required to have a lid. The sanitation guys throw your cans around breaking them, and bitch when your garbage can is not in perfect condition.

Me:
    The name change didnt affect taxes at all.

And if you dont want your taxes to go up, dont ask for garbage totes.

Idiot:
    Did I say that I personally asked the town to supply the garbage cans?

Me:
    No, but you complained about your high taxes and complained that they dont give us garbage cans. If they supply us with garbage cans, then your taxes will go even higher to pay for them.

Idiot:

I finished by saying it must've been a village increase, because my town taxes were lowered.
    Spot on Neubs. He is certainly not a Town or Village of Lancaster resident.

Taxes

Neither the combined school district or town taxes increased anywhere near the $1,000 mark since the Redskin name change, or in fact over the past several years for any home assessed at (or below) $400,000. Your friend must have one hell of a house or not live in Lancaster. In fact, the tax rate under the Fudoli administration dropped from $962.15 per $100,000 assessed valuation in 2012 to $906.75 for the 2015-16 budget.

Totes & Rats

Perhaps you should refer your friend to the following BN report on tote purchase, use and storage guidelines in Hamburg:

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...te-up-20160830

Village officials said the experience of other communities that have gotten totes is that there may be more rat sightings in the beginning, as the rodents look for food. But once the source of food dries up, the rats move on.

Yes, some move on, but not all and especially if all the other protocols are not followed; picking up dog feces, no animal ground feeding, using birdseed spill-proof feeders, etc.

The village code requires all refuse to be contained in the totes with the lid closed at all times. They are to be stored within a structure or building, or behind the front setback line of the building.

Actually, totes are supposed to be stored within a structure or building. When stored outside in the open, rats can eat through them – even metal conatiners.

Each property is receiving a 95-gallon garbage tote and a 65-gallon recycling tote. The total cost for both is about $100, but the village has applied for a grant that would partially fund the program and reduce the cost to about $80 per set. Property owners will see a fee on next year’s tax bills for the totes.

There is no free lunch and totes alone are not the panacea some would like others to think. Personal responsibility in maintaining ones property is equally important.

BTW – The fact that your friend has received two refuse violation citations says much!

Just to clarify... it was someone I don't know on a mutual friend's post. But other than that, you got it all right, especially with the violations!

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Nueb, your taxes went down because it was under Dino Fudoli's budget. This upcoming tax bill is primarily Dino Fudoli's budget, with the modification's to the budget under the new administration, you might see a slight difference. However, next year, your tax bill will reflect totally under the Democratic controlled board's budget. The taxes will go up.
    I agree... not looking forward to it. Then we will hear their spin on how Dino was getting by with reserves and not negotiating contracts.

I agree... not looking forward to it. Then we will hear their spin on how Dino was getting by with reserves and not negotiating contracts.

Oh right, didn't think of that. LOL

In my view, the 5 board members including Fudoli failed to budget monies for future union negotiations which will result with the ***** hitting the fan down the road

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    In my view, the 5 board members including Fudoli failed to budget monies for future union negotiations which will result with the ***** hitting the fan down the road
    Fudoli mistakenly believed the police union would negotiate a good faith contract by compromising and agreeing to start contributing to their generous health plan (family $19,300, individual $12,000). Currently no union member town employee contributes to his or her health plan. Non union employees contribute 8% of their premium cost and the Police Chief and police Captains contribute $750 a year.

I am glad to hear you include the other board members in the decision-making process as they also did not approve the contract presented by the arbitrator as well. The arbiter needed only one side to agree with his offer and that was the police union.

In fact, the present all Democratic board has not negotiated contract settlement with the police union because the union adamantly refuses to contribute to health care – nada, zip, zero.

As for the other three unions that generally standby until they see what the binding arbitration union gets is of the same mind considering health care contributions. The town set aside money for a two percent salary increase for 2016which will not be paid out until the unions negotiate a contract.

For the three non-binding unions retro pay is not compulsory.

Quote Originally Posted by buffy View Post
    Make up your mind Lancaster - do you want feral cats or do you want rats?!?

http://www.speakupwny.com/forums/sho...-s-cat-problem
    Exactly!
    Raptor Jesus: He went extinct for your sins.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Come on WNY, you should know by now that every problem that a person has should be solved by the government. No homeowner should ever have to clean up their own property, put out a trap or anything else that will pull them away from watching Judge Judy or Braxton Family Values.
    The solution is easy: managed feral cat colonies.

Problem solved within a year.
    Raptor Jesus: He went extinct for your sins.

The romans figured cats did a better job than Pine martens...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Fudoli mistakenly believed the police union would negotiate a good faith contract by compromising and agreeing to start contributing to their generous health plan (family $19,300, individual $12,000). Currently no union member town employee contributes to his or her health plan. Non union employees contribute 8% of their premium cost and the Police Chief and police Captains contribute $750 a year.

I am glad to hear you include the other board members in the decision-making process as they also did not approve the contract presented by the arbitrator as well. The arbiter needed only one side to agree with his offer and that was the police union.

In fact, the present all Democratic board has not negotiated contract settlement with the police union because the union adamantly refuses to contribute to health care – nada, zip, zero.

As for the other three unions that generally standby until they see what the binding arbitration union gets is of the same mind considering health care contributions. The town set aside money for a two percent salary increase for 2016which will not be paid out until the unions negotiate a contract.

For the three non-binding unions retro pay is not compulsory.
    I wonder how the union negotiations went this week.......

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information