Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hydro-Fracking Deadline 12/31/2009

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Why do you insist on exhibiting your ignorance on so many matters for which you apparently have no knowledge? Do you just like to flap your lips for the fun of it?
    Naw naw naw I beat you to that line - I get the credit - you snooze you loose! Now to answer your question - just trying to be all to all pal!
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    If a private land owner decides to kick the FLTC off his or her land to use the land for something else, then to bad for the FLTC. Why should a developer be obligated to assist the FLTC do anything, except perhaps help them remove the signs and ugly paint blazes from the trees that the FLTC uses to disfigure the forest.
    Ya right, I would like to see you hike 10% of the trail - let alone all of it. Like I said you misrepresent the group. Your false accusation against them prove it.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    Ya right, I would like to see you hike 10% of the trail - let alone all of it. Like I said you misrepresent the group. Your false accusation against them prove it.
    Nothing false about them - the quotes are from the FLTC submission to the DEC. Which you apparently have never read.

The FLT is nothing more than small sections of forest trails over public and private land connected by large sections of public roads. In fact, during big game hunting season and spring turkey season most of the trail on private land is closed to the public, so most of the trail goes over public highways during those times.

The portions of the trail that are in state forest and state parks are open during hunting season, but they are nothing remarkable. I sometimes follow trails and sometimes bushwhack my around the state forests.

Hiking the length of the FLT is no great accomplishment. Hell, my grammar school was a mile from my home and I walked to it in the morning, back home for lunch, then back to school after lunch, then home at the end of the day. In one school year I walked back and forth to school about 200 miles more than the entire length of the FLT.

I have hiked all of the FLT in Cattaraugus and Allegany counties that is not on public highways. I have never gotten much of a wilderness experience walking along the side of public highways.

In case you didn’t know this, you can camp anywhere in a state forest that is 150 feet from a road, trail or water source. You aren’t limited to camping at the designated FLT bivouac areas. The FLT does not own or have any special control over state forest lands. They are merely guest on state lands.

People who have only seen the state forest from the FLT are missing most of what the state forest have to offer. Moreover, there are dozens of state forest in WNY through which the FLT does not pass. The closest to Buffalo is one of the most interesting - Lost Nation State Forest. There are snowmobile trails one can follow in summer, equestrian trails one can follow in winter, and great bushwhacking opportunities.

The FLTC is slowly being squeezed out of existence on its own accord. First, it is having difficulty acquiring private land permission and maintaining private land permission because of its antagonistic attitude toward other outdoor enthusiasts. Many of the private landowners happen to be hunters or lease their land to hunters, and they don’t appreciate the anti-hunting crowd that hangs around the FLTC.

Second, the FLTC is holding on to the hope of having an exclusive foot trail on state lands despite the DEC's recognition that the people of the state of New York have diverse interest in using the state resources and that multi-use trails are a necessity of the future. Some in the FLTC have basically said "they'll have to pry our foot-only trail from our dead cold hands" and that day is not far off.

The FLTC website is also full of misinformation. For example, it claims that mountain biking is not allowed on the FLT. In reality, mountain biking is allowed on all portions of the FLT that are in state forest lands unless otherwise specifically posted by the DEC. The FLTC does not own the trail or the state forests although it acts like it does.

The FLTC also regularly ignores NYS laws and rules regarding permits for group activities and permits for re-routing of the trail through state forest areas. Frankly, the FLTC has not proven itself to be an irresponsible and arrogant steward of the state resources it has been allowed to use.

That is why it is begging for special recognition and rules favoring it in its comment upon the SGEIS. To survive, it needs some sort of state supported sanction because of its inability to attract sufficient support from the public to maintain itself as a viable organization.

Okay - I was just disagreeing with you to spite you (your name can do that to me you know) - SORRY - you obviously know about this. Nice post I enjoyed reading and learning.

Thank you.

The EPA has responded to the State of New York DEC regarding gas drilling in the Marcellus shale.

In formal comments on the state’s proposed regulations governing new natural gas drilling, the E.P.A. said it was particularly concerned about the regional water supply, air quality, wastewater treatment and radioactive materials that could be disturbed during drilling.

It recommended that “essential environmental protection measures” be taken before the state begins to review permit applications for the drilling, which is envisaged in the Marcellus Shale region.
    GO GREEN ... plant a garden!

Quote Originally Posted by blockclubof1 View Post
    The EPA has responded to the State of New York DEC regarding gas drilling in the Marcellus shale.

In formal comments on the state’s proposed regulations governing new natural gas drilling, the E.P.A. said it was particularly concerned about the regional water supply, air quality, wastewater treatment and radioactive materials that could be disturbed during drilling.

It recommended that “essential environmental protection measures” be taken before the state begins to review permit applications for the drilling, which is envisaged in the Marcellus Shale region.
    Meanwhile from what I understand that same EPA spent years ignoring problems at the West Valley site, while making it seem like they were cleaning it thoroughly.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

I bet, nogods, is one of those people that walked a mile, up hill BOTH ways thruogh 5ft of snow EVERY DAY all thruogh school... right? LOL I mean come on!
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150 View Post
    Meanwhile from what I understand that same EPA spent years ignoring problems at the West Valley site, while making it seem like they were cleaning it thoroughly.
    Can't argue with you there, key. Is this thing amounting to some kind of political turf battle?

Can't argue with you there, key. Is this thing amounting to some kind of political turf battle?
    I really don't know anything about it. I just remembered reading something about it somewhere. I don't know much about West Valley other than what I was reading on the Web, but it doesn't surprise me at all, seeing as how the government takes it sweet time dealing with any environmental disaster.

The state and the feds have argued for years about who is liable to pay for the cost of cleanup. They recently came to an agreement with the feds taking most of the burden. See http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/842003.html

Maybe the EPA is leery of having to bail out yet another cleanup of yet another private corporation with this hydrofracking deal.

The state and the feds have argued for years about who is liable to pay for the cost of cleanup. They recently came to an agreement with the feds taking most of the burden. See http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/842003.html

Maybe the EPA is leery of having to bail out yet another cleanup of yet another private corporation with this hydrofracking deal.
    They don't bail out anybody. They pick and choose who they want to oppress and let go.

Hickory Woods comes to mind as a place they didn't give a flying crap about when it was being built.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information