Thread: Here’s where the third-party candidates in this election stand on various issues.

Here’s where the third-party candidates in this election stand on various issues.

Thinking of voting for Jill Stein or Gary Johnson? Here are their policy positions

Click above for full story.

Education

• Stein wants to abolish student debt and guarantee tuition-free education from preschool through university education. She wants to “protect our public school systems from privatization and increase federal funding for school.”

• Johnson “believes there is no role for the federal government in education.” He would cut the Department of Education.

Climate

• Stein’s platform prioritizes climate change. It calls for a ban on pesticides that she says threaten bees, and would transition the country entirely to renewable energy and end the use of nuclear energy.

• Johnson believes the climate is probably changing and humans are probably contributing. He supports the federal government’s interest in protecting the environment, but believes that should happen by punishing polluters, not intervening in energy markets or subsidizing certain energy sources.

Economy

• Stein supports a federal $15 minimum wage, more union rights and tighter regulation of Wall Street. Her platform calls for tax cuts for the poor and middle class, and higher taxes on the wealthy. She hopes to impose a moratorium on foreclosures and evictions.

• Johnson advocates for a free market with small government and limited regulation. He favors tax reform that would create a single consumption tax that is the same rate for all goods and all purchasers. Basic necessities would be covered by a “prebate” — a monthly payment given to every taxpaying household by the government.

Health care

• Stein favors a single-payer health-care system that would essentially give everyone a form of Medicare.

• Johnson favors fully privatized health care.

LGBTQ issues

• Stein believes in LGBTQ protections from discrimination and supports gay marriage.

• Johnson says people ought to be free to marry whomever they want.

Immigration

• Stein’s platform calls for demilitarized borders and an end to deportations of law-abiding undocumented immigrants.

• Johnson would like work visas to be more easily obtained and to give immigrants a path to citizenship. He notes that immigrants commit fewer crimes than native-born people.

Foreign policy

• Stein would like to cut military spending in half and close more than 700 foreign military bases. She would ban drone warfare and would remove U.S. nuclear weapons abroad.

• Johnson considers himself skeptical of foreign intervention. He believes Congress needs to be involved in military decisions.

Criminal justice

• Stein supports the Black Lives Matter movement, and an end to police brutality and mass incarceration.

• Johnson believes police shootings are rooted in the drug war, which he would like to end.

Guns

• Stein supports gun-control measures, and believes the issue ought to be treated as a national public-health emergency.

• Johnson’s support for gun ownership rights aligns with the Libertarian Party platform, which opposes gun restrictions of all kinds.

Marijuana

Both candidates support the legalization of marijuana and deplore the War on Drugs.
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Third party seems like the only responsible thing to do at this point.
    I can't bring myself to vote dem or rep again this election. They continually offer us crap candidates because they benefit from the status quo.
    I'll vote third party and hope trump wins. I know it's an odd tact, but the way I figure it, I'm not rewarding the major parties, and if trump wins he'll only get 4 years to do as much damage to "the establishment" as he can.

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd View Post
    Third party seems like the only responsible thing to do at this point.
    I can't bring myself to vote dem or rep again this election. They continually offer us crap candidates because they benefit from the status quo.
    Exactly!
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Thread Information