Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What needs to be done in our town

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer7 View Post
    For the millions your paying for a volunteer FD. You could have a manned professional paid fire department that provides Paramedic Level. Monroe County NY had volunteer FD's, but now most of them are paid departments and they staff their Fire station's 24/7
    Don't you think there would be millions more added with salaries, healthcare benefits, etc and pensions based on those salaries?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Don't you think there would be millions more added with salaries, healthcare benefits, etc and pensions based on those salaries?
    The volunteers already get a pension, and they get free education at a community college, the added salaries and current heathcare cost would certainly add to your tax bill.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    If you can't afford to donate...don't.

They are still going to come to your house, put themselves in danger and put out the fire if you have one. They volunteer to make their community...which is the same one you live in....a better place. Their intent is true.

It's ok to be unable to donate. It's NOT OK to be so selfish....which is how you're acting.
    This a "Is the glass half full or half empty comment"

FYI: I do donate, in my taxes and again when they come to my door, I would also volunteer if I did not have medical restrictions that disqualify me from doing so.

My ultimate goal is to make sure us tax payers are getting the most for their dollars and ultimately to lower our tax bills. If you can't understand that then I have nothing more to say to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Electric Eye View Post
    This a "Is the glass half full or half empty comment"

FYI: I do donate, in my taxes and again when they come to my door, I would also volunteer if I did not have medical restrictions that disqualify me from doing so.

My ultimate goal is to make sure us tax payers are getting the most for their dollars and ultimately to lower our tax bills. If you can't understand that then I have nothing more to say to you.

I do understand that. What you can't seem to grasp is that a volunteer fire system is significantly cheaper than a paid one. What you also don't seem to understand is it's in really poor taste to nickel and dime the volunteer departments. Especially when there is a massive amount of waste in other areas.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    That's only a New York State thing, There are several Cities, Towns & Fire District's that pay there fire fighters on average $12hr to $17/hr but they work 24hrs shifts that makes it worth it, with little benefits to no benefits. Most Firefighter's & Police Officers in AZ have only got 1 pay rise in over 8 years.

That's only a New York State thing, There are several Cities, Towns & Fire District's that pay there fire fighters on average $12hr to $17/hr but they work 24hrs shifts that makes it worth it, with little benefits to no benefits. Most Firefighter's & Police Officers in AZ have only got 1 pay rise in over 8 years.
    Race to the bottom. Yeah, thats the direction we should be moving ....

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    I do understand that. What you can't seem to grasp is that a volunteer fire system is significantly cheaper than a paid one. What you also don't seem to understand is it's in really poor taste to nickel and dime the volunteer departments. Especially when there is a massive amount of waste in other areas.
    talking about waste

Cheektowaga alone has
    9 Ladder Trucks (1 million to 1.5 million a piece) for Cheektowaga ??
    30 Chief trucks ($60,000 a piece with another $40,000 for custom wood cabinets, Led message boards, Lights, radios, graphics etc..
    that now get's replaced every couple of years with new Tahoe's ,most miles, wear & tear & PM costs are due to the private use of going to work, shopping, taking the kids to school or going to the Bills or Sabre's games.
    29 Engines at $500,000 to $750,000 a piece
    30 EMS Squads, that cost $50,000 to 150,000 and now they are even buying new loaded Silverado pick up trucks.
    and every department has it's own fleet of ATV & all terrains vehicles.

for Population of 80,000 as in Cheektowaga
    You could get away with 1 Ladder truck, 2 would be ideal, 3 is more then adequate, anything over that is stupidity & a waste
    Having 6 extra ladders trucks is costing the taxpayer's 6 Million to 9 million dollars of waste alone
    Also 29 Engines for Cheektowaga ?? If you went down to 9 engines, that's still a lot for population of 80,000
    Having 20 extra engines is costing the taxpayers another 10 Million to 15 million of more waste alone

This same waste is happening in all of the neighboring towns too. and their spending money like it's Dubai
    and it is out of control. You would think the Town Councils would see this
    Last edited by jennifer7; August 10th, 2016 at 12:28 PM.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Race to the bottom. Yeah, thats the direction we should be moving ....
    Your right, Village of Depew problem's is coming to your town soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Electric Eye View Post
    The volunteers already get a pension, and they get free education at a community college, the added salaries and current heathcare cost would certainly add to your tax bill.
    I don't believe the volunteer pension would be an equal value to a pension based on a professional firefighter salary

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    I believe the books are all fine, it's the out of control and no bid spending that is bleeding the taxpayers dry. Look at how much your local fire districts assessment is. 10 districts in town, that's quite a pile of money.
    That wouldn't be responsible approach to just "believe" the books are fine. If that statement is true why does the IRS have random audits?

Unregistered
    75% of Depew's budget is paying for the Police Department, shouldn't the following stop ASAP for Town's & Villages

year longevity pay bonus's, in 4 or 5 figures, goes up the longer you work for the town, village, etc..
    cash back bonus's of unused vacation/sick time for whole 30 year career they are 6 figures
    pension spiking, Pensions are in 6 figures
    fully paid top of line medical insurance for life
    constantly buying new expensive Police Tahoe's & Chargers, etc...

Population's are shrinking, shouldn't departments be downsizing ? Maybe it's time for a County Metro Police Department & County Metro Fire/Ambulance Department. paid, combo paid/volunteer, or volunteer. It would save money and provide higher level services and wipe
    out the mess of duplication + duplication + duplication + duplication + duplication + duplication + duplication etc.....
    Last edited by jennifer7; August 10th, 2016 at 06:07 PM.

Unregistered
    75% of Depew's budget is paying for the Police Department, shouldn't the following stop ASAP for Town's & Villages

year longevity pay bonus's, in 4 or 5 figures, goes up the longer you work for the town, village, etc..
    cash back bonus's of unused vacation/sick time for whole 30 year career they are 6 figures
    pension spiking, Pensions are in 6 figures
    fully paid top of line medical insurance for life
    constantly buying new expensive Police Tahoe's & Chargers, etc...

Population's are shrinking, shouldn't departments be downsizing ? Maybe it's time for a County Metro Police Department & County Metro Fire/Ambulance Department. paid, combo paid/volunteer, or volunteer. It would save money and provide higher level services and wipe
    out the mess of duplication + duplication + duplication + duplication + duplication + duplication + duplication etc.....
    Like it or not , consolidating service's is imminent and it's coming one way or another. The current system is not sustainable. Look at California right now, their is mass exodus of population & business's fleeing the high taxes & regulation's and their is mass consolidation going on in California everywhere.
    Last edited by jennifer7; August 10th, 2016 at 06:27 PM.

Unregistered
    Like it or not , consolidating service's is imminent and it's coming one way or another. The current system is not sustainable. Look at California right now, their is mass exodus of population & business's fleeing the high taxes & regulation's and their is mass consolidation going on in California everywhere.
    one example of consolidating going on in CA
    http://kvcrnews.org/post/bankrupt-sa...ounty#stream/0
    http://abc7.com/news/san-bernardino-...-over/1406949/

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information