Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lancaster Town Council primaries

Lancaster Town Council primaries

Do you really know if the candidate you will vote for in the upcoming primary and/or in the November election shares your values?

The Buffalo News listed the following four candidates vying for Lancaster Conservative Party line positions for the upcoming Town Board election for Town Council:

Robert E. Leary
    Adam L. Dickman
    Jennifer L. Cappello
    Frank Caparaso
    (Vote for two)

Candidates vying for votes to win the Independence Party line are:

Joseph A. Bish
    Karen A. Delcarlo
    Robert E. Leary
    Adam L. Dickman
    (Vote for two)

It is very possible that if a voter does not have any information on whether a candidate truly represents the values of the party he is invested, that candidate may very well win; a candidate winning a line on the election ballot and disingenuously representing a party who did not outright endorse them to represent the values of that party. These types have the potential to draw votes from true conservatives and or independents and blanks who choose to vote on that party line.

Such seems to be what’s taking place in Lancaster according to the Lancaster Conservative Party. A letter recently sent out by Party Chair Joseph Gallo to Conservative Party members spoke of the party being under attack; attack by Phantom Conservative candidates who didn’t earn the party’s endorsement and are working with the Democratic Party to steal the line for their candidates in the November election.

Robert E. Leary and Adam L. Dickman are the endorsed Conservative Party Candidates.

The letter speaks of the phantom candidates not sharing conservative values, receiving most of the petition signatures collected by Notaries of the Commissioners of Deeds; individuals who work for the Erie County Chairman; none of whom live in Lancaster.

Neither of the two Phantom Candidates has been campaigning and has yard signs up supporting the non-endorsed incumbent Democratic Party candidates and/or write-in candidates to steal the Conservative Party line in the November election.

Some may say: “Everything is fair game in politics.” And/or, “What’s it to you, you’re a blank.” Indeed I am an unaffiliated registered voter and cannot vote in the primary. However, I generally cast my election votes on the Independence Party* or Conservative Party ballot lines. If a candidate runs on a party line and does not share the values of that Party that is disturbing to me.

Why is winning minor party lines so important that causes such deceit when last year’s total Lancaster eligible voter registration was 29,926 and the following were the Party registration numbers:

Democrats – 11,604
    Republicans – 8,888
    Blanks (unaffiliated voters) – 6,230
    Independence Party – 1,713
    Conservatives – 960
    Other 531

Democrats have had a stronghold on election victories and patronage forever. With one four year exception (1992 -96) they have controlled the Town Board and ensured the Planning and Zoning Board of Appeals were likewise under they’re Party control.

Looking at the numbers one can see the Democrats appear to be n position of strength and have no need to damage minor party candidates or steal a Party line which their candidates were not endorsed by.

The Democratic Party still has 2,716 more registered voters that the Republicans. However, that plurality is shrinking with new voters coming into the community and more major party voters changing their voter registrations to independent or blank – even major party registered voters.

It then becomes quite obvious why this deceit is being played out: to steal party lines and votes using disingenuous candidates. This literally does cross the line.

I have been a blank from day one in my voting life and will remain so. This is the kind of **** that keeps me one.

*From what others tell me, the same game is being played in the Independence Party primary.

Lee Chowaniec;1746317]

Such seems to be what’s taking place in Lancaster according to the Lancaster Conservative Party. A letter recently sent out by Party Chair Joseph Gallo to Conservative Party members spoke of the party being under attack; attack by Phantom Conservative candidates who didn’t earn the party’s endorsement and are working with the Democratic Party to steal the line for their candidates in the November election.

A very excellent post Mr. C.

Once again, you have done the Lancaster voter a great service with your Paul Revere-like message. That message, as I understand it, is not one of advocacy, but of civic enlightenment, and I thank you for it.

With respect to Mr. Gallo's message, I believe it exposes some rather deceptive tactics, which suggests, and quite possibly reveals, issues of the "Phantom" candidates', and/or their political beneficiaries' character. That character issue is something that the voter needs to weigh, and critically consider, when assessing their true legislative temperament.

The only problem that I have with Mr. Gallo's message, as you presented it, is the use of the word "Phantom." There is nothing illusory about their ballot presence. It seems to me that the threat is quite real and present.

Perhaps a better term would have been "Proxy?" A seemingly fine point, but one which serves the interests of absolute clarity.

Again, thank you for your post sir.

I guess my view is a little different regarding the local Conservative party.
    When a party more or less doesn't allow a committee or board member collect
    signatures for their son or brother due to their view that committee and board members
    MUST BACK the endorsed candidates seems to me a bit Stalinistic totalitarianism
    to me. And now their crying about "Phantom" candidates. I was a registered
    Conservative for more years than I have been a Democrat. Although, I relish the
    conservative values. I think this county party sucks, JMHO.
    Disclaimer-
    Not all individuals in the party suck, just the party as a whole.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    signatures for their son or brother due to their view that committee and board members
    Disclaimer-

Ms. Georgia,

Your views arise from the common sense world motivated by the heart, and not the universe of the rigid guidelines, necessary to the strength and preservation of a political party. I do however, respect and appreciate your views.

But, bear in mind, the Conservative Party, in 2013 and 2015, fell prey to what one poster on Speak Up referred to as "well orchestrated" coups. Apparently, some sort of manipulation is occurring again this year; different tactic, same general goal.

In that connection, I fully understand the frustrations and concerns which necessitated Chairman Gallo's letter. Mr. Gallo appears to be committed to the preservation of core Conservative principles and values, and seemingly, is properly attempting to protect his party unit from exposure to a further subversive virus. That virus, if not controlled, may once again reduce or destroy, those candidates who would offer the voter a clear Conservative choice in November.

It is interesting that you raised the specter of Stalin in your post. Lenin, Trotsky, and in fact, Stalin, in their pursuit of a worldwide revolution, employed a tactic known as "Entryism." Strong elements of that tactic included infiltration and subversion. The "coups" of 2013 and 2015, and especially tactic(s) employed this year, suggest strong overtones and echoes of "Entryism."

In the preservation of their interests, the Conservative Party, in the future, needs to be more diligent and alert to this apparent subversive strategy, and be perceptively creative in guarding against future innovative tactics.

The Conservatives, in the future, may well-heed the words of Cicero:

"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.”

Disclaimer-
    Before the Lancaster Conservative Party formally endorsed the candidates it best felt met their political values they interviewed numerous candidates from all political parties; and other. After all candidates were interviewed the endorsing committee met to determine who best fit their values. They chose Leary and Dickman.

The father you refer to didn’t like the fact that his son (a democrat) was not selected this time and chose to get petitions for phantom (proxy) candidates that would disrupt the vote – candidates who were not of the Conservative Party membership. You can’t be on the County Conservative Executive expected to support the candidates endorsed and then seek petitions to oppose those endorsed candidates with the chance that between this chicanery and write in votes the Conservative Party could lose a line(s) on the election ballot.

That is why the father and brother resigned – they got caught being stupid enough to sign those petitions. If you believe this practice by the Conservative Party is out of the ordinary and not practiced by the other political parties, you are mistaken.

Although I don’t belong to any party, I have to say that I grossed for years over not understanding why a Conservative Party would ever entertain endorsing a liberal Democrat as it had been doing before Joe Gallo took over as Chair of the Conservative Party.

And when I look and see a registered conservative town council member contributing to the campaign fund of the two incumbent Democratic council members, I can only say WTF is that all about?

I look and see a registered conservative town council member contributing to the campaign fund of the two incumbent Democratic council members, I can only say WTF is that all about?
    See Post #5. Blend into that observation the Ciceronian question "Cui bono?" One needn't be a Patrician to reach the obvious conclusion.

BTW, didn't that town council member actively support her close friend, and fellow "Conservative" for Mayor of the VOL, who ran on a platform advocating "progressive" government?

Just askin'.

Schroeder025.jpg
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; September 11th, 2017 at 03:32 PM.

Instead of whining, all those that are whining could be out going door-to-door
    to get out the vote for their endorsed candidates. JMO

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    See Post #5. Blend into that observation the Ciceronian question "Cui bono?" One needn't be a Patrician to reach the obvious conclusion.

BTW, didn't that town council member actively support her close friend, and fellow "Conservative" for Mayor of the VOL, who ran on a platform advocating "progressive" government?

Just askin'.

Schroeder025.jpg

Georgia L Schlager

Now Ms. Gorja, the nomenclature here is important.

When we speak of any positive story concerning "Special Events," we must refer to the contractor as "Lancaster Town Councilwoman." When we speak of any negative story concerning "Special Events," we must refer to the contractor as "Special Events Coordinator."

But, when we speak of any stories of perceived impropriety concerning "Special Events," we must refer to the contractor as "Hey you, the SNAFU Lady."

To date, the answer to the question you raised, is still suspiciously ambiguous. I think that the "SNAFU" explanation was, and remains, a very vague, and rather unbelievable explanation, for a nine month delay in delivering charitable proceeds to the needy.

Personally, I think that explanation was "just something to hang 'her' hat on." ----OOOOOOh!

Perhaps Citizen-based ethics reform forums could be an "Expanded Special Event?"
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; September 11th, 2017 at 05:37 PM.

Thumbs up

Now Ms. Gorja, the nomenclature here is important.

When we speak of any positive story concerning "Special Events," we must refer to the contractor as "Lancaster Town Councilwoman." When we speak of any negative story concerning "Special Events," we must refer to the contractor as "Special Events Coordinator."

But, when we speak of any stories of perceived impropriety concerning "Special Events," we must refer to the contractor as "Hey you, the SNAFU Lady."

To date, the answer to the question you raised, is still suspiciously ambiguous. I think that the "SNAFU" explanation was, and remains, a very vague, and rather unbelievable explanation, for a nine month delay in delivering charitable proceeds to the needy.

Personally, I think that explanation was "just something to hang 'her' hat on." ----OOOOOOh!

Perhaps Citizen-based ethics reform forums could be an "Expanded Special Event?"
    Love it!!!!

Georgia L Schlager

Love it!!!!
    I get lucky sometime.

Just askin'.

Schroeder025.jpg
    Isn't a 'Progressive conservative' one who takes from the hard working people to give to the non-working people?

Georgia L Schlager

Isn't a 'Progressive conservative' one who takes from the hard working people to give to the non-working people?
    Yes Ms. Gorja that is true.

Also, some "Progressive Conservatives" may also seem to manipulate (and that is a polite characterization) their official positions to secure contracts for their friends, and then, may tax hardworking people to pay for those contracts.

More concerning, when certain documents are FOILED, the official and his "friend" may seem to act inappropriately, and then appear to blame the person who filed the FOIL.

Just speculating.

JMO, such "hypotheticals," ergo, "Cozey Events" do not seem to reflect "Conservative" values. They do seem to be, well, rather "Progressive."

But, what do I know?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; September 11th, 2017 at 07:17 PM.

I just hope this Conservative candidate doesn't get in in November

Georgia L Schlager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information